No announcement yet.

TO BJJ GUYS : I want to start braz jiu jitsu and have questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
    I have been doing boxing and kick boxing for 7 years here in Europe, had a bunch of fights as a middleweight younger.

I'm 32 years old and only sparring but I will never fight again in competition. Not interested in trading hard blows with a guy in a local public gym anymore.

I tried grappling last week in a gym trained by a guy I knew and enjoyed it, it's a science. I thought I could compete after maybe 1 or 2 years of training and it could be fun.

I read on internet informations and most people are telling to start Jiu Jitsu first instead of grappling, better to learn the technics with a Gi while grappling is too quick and include leg locks from the start (BJJ doesn't for noob).

So I came to the conclusion to start BJJ soon.
    My questions are the followings...

1. What is really important to learn in the early stages?

2. Can you compete in white belts tournament after 1/2 year of training? What are the keys to win at the white belts level?

3. What is the best way to prevent injuries? I know that BJJ is very tough for joints and muscles. If it happens, it happens but you gotta be serious to avoid those things the most possible.

4. Is 32 too late to start JJB and probably starts competition around 34?

5. How tough is this sport? compared to boxing?

Thank you and sorry for my average english.
    Where abouts in Europe are you? If you're anywhere near any of the Gracie academies that ain't a bad place to start. Training is relatively relaxed (at my gym at least), compared to some other Martial Arts but is standardised and monitored throughout the school system which means you kinda know that you're getting a decent quality of training.

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/

I'm lucky enough to live right on the doorstep (almost literally) of the nearest centre, but there's only about a dozen or so in Europe and half of those are in the UK so travel might be a problem for you... some of the guys who I train with travel from as far as 50 odd miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      Where abouts in Europe are you? If you're anywhere near any of the Gracie academies that ain't a bad place to start. Training is relatively relaxed (at my gym at least), compared to some other Martial Arts but is standardised and monitored throughout the school system which means you kinda know that you're getting a decent quality of training.

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/

I'm lucky enough to live right on the doorstep (almost literally) of the nearest centre, but there's only about a dozen or so in Europe and half of those are in the UK so travel might be a problem for you... some of the guys who I train with travel from as far as 50 odd miles away.
      They are opening up one around me. They must be franchised out.

Comment

Thanks man very very interesting.

Yeah, like I said I just had 2 Luta Livre lessons and basically I already submitted other novices in sparring, with a guillotine, that's is the more natural submission to learn IMO.
        I can't do any other submissions at this point. Dude is learning us stuff as side control with the knee over the hip or control on top.

I think I stronger than most of my sparring partners who are novices too, so maybe I should learn as a second submission "omoplata" since i'm often on top position, looks easier than most armbars.

Yeah, a key about not being injured is to tap at the right moment but still hard to picture yet.
        I get caught in armbars twice but once I lifted the guy and took one of his hand off and the other time I just found a quick escape before he could pull strong, so I was lucky.

I don't know yet how looks leg locks, that stuff looks scary lol

How do you get out from chokes and bars?
        I guess the technics (right move) comes first then maybe being flexible and strong at the same time?

What are qualities mental and physical of a good grappler?
        Another thing to aim for is mastering technique - I find it useful to work with guys who are a lot bigger and or stronger than me (I'm bang average 180cm, 77kg, but I'm told I'm pretty strong)... often you find you can just muscle through with poor technique when you're rolling with someone your size or smaller, but you soon learn whether you're doing it right when you try to T'n'R someone who outweighs you by 40lbs. Just ask to roll either with guys who are bigger or higher graded. It pays dividends. Although rolling with smaller people (or women) also takes a different kind of control and discipline if you're doing it just for training... it all adds up I guess. And you don't always have to play to win, a lot of times now when I'm rolling I've found I learn more by giving them openings and not going for the finish myself.

I always liked this saying...

“There is no losing in jiu jitsu. You either win or you learn.” Grand Master Carlos Gracie Sr.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
          I'd suggest starting with the gi. Make sure you check the credentials of the instructors/owner. If you need help there, just ask.

1. The basics. If you start trying to learn advanced and 'slick' stuff right off the bat, you are only hurting yourself.

2. Yes. You have some guys (who are really good) getting blue belts after 6 months (it's rare, but happens). I've seen guys enter tournaments with a month training. It's about getting experience.

3. Diet helps, but it's a tough sport. I ate a lot of bananas, as they are great source of potassium. Always warm up before rolling, or start rolling VERY light until you get loose. I'd suggest asking more advanced guys and your instructor this if you start training.

4. I started at 31. I competed a few times. When I was in it (around 10 years ago), the tournaments had age brackets. I'm sure they still do. You'll compete against guys around your age, and at your belt level.

There will likely be "sandbaggers" at tournaments, so be aware of that. Usually this isn't a problem in older age divisions though.

5. It's tough, just in different ways. I'd get bloody noses and some soreness occasionally from body shots when boxing. Grappling I broke my nose (doing takedown drills), and tore a muscle in my back/shoulder area. I also got an umbilical hernia due to a nasty slam from a very good wrestler.

If you need more info, or have more questions on my experience just ask. I started at 31, and got up to Blue belt, fyi.
          bro san ka nag ttrain?

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
            Another thing to aim for is mastering technique - I find it useful to work with guys who are a lot bigger and or stronger than me (I'm bang average 180cm, 77kg, but I'm told I'm pretty strong)... often you find you can just muscle through with poor technique when you're rolling with someone your size or smaller, but you soon learn whether you're doing it right when you try to T'n'R someone who outweighs you by 40lbs. Just ask to roll either with guys who are bigger or higher graded. It pays dividends. Although rolling with smaller people (or women) also takes a different kind of control and discipline if you're doing it just for training... it all adds up I guess. And you don't always have to play to win, a lot of times now when I'm rolling I've found I learn more by giving them openings and not going for the finish myself.

I always liked this saying...
            Thanks bro,
            I have opportunities to go to a grapping luta livre/no gi gym or a pure JJB gym.

What should I take?

Comment

Thanks bro,
              I have opportunities to go to a grapping luta livre/no gi gym or a pure JJB gym.

What should I take?
              Look at which style you most like that fits you best, and look at the way the coaches teach the class, the type of students, etc.

I'd take a free class at both (most gyms offer that, or used to) to get a feel.

Of course make sure you do research and check that the instructors and coaches are legit and verify their credentials.

If you start, keep us updated on how you are doing, liking it, etc. I loved my time doing it, and I hope you do too.

Comment

Thanks bro,

What should I take?
                I'm not the right person to ask, man. I've heard good things about luta livre but I've no personal experience. I have Judo, some Taekwondo, less Boxing and even less Aikido as well as the BJJ I do now. What I can say is that we don't train only sport/competition JJ, there's an emphasis on practical self defense and we do no gi work and street sparring.

I think the main thing is you find a gym that suits you in terms of atmosphere and style, and a trainer who knows his stuff. It's probably worth trying 'em both out and seeing which suits you best rather than just committing to one or the other.

Comment

LOL don't take what 1bad says serious - just look at the dude.

He's a tubbo and has no athletic prowess, nor skill whatsoever!

Hahah listening to him for advice on combat sports would be like listening to the world's fattest man on marathon advice.

Comment

You're not contributing to the thread. You're using it only to further a childish e-beef.

Do the mods need to know you're doing this? It's a violation of the TOS to follow other members around to harass them.

And as was pointed out earlier, you have ZERO personal experience in this anyway. Grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheek busting View Post
                      LOL don't take what 1bad says serious - just look at the dude.

He's a tubbo and has no athletic prowess, nor skill whatsoever!

Hahah listening to him for advice on combat sports would be like listening to the world's fattest man on marathon advice.

Man stop harassing the dude that's ridiculous, you came in that thread twice just to bash a man, I had myself some disagreement with him on political stuff but I don't make it personal.

Don't fall into some e-beef, this is a BJJ thread.

I gotta put you on ignore bro, bashing him one time was enough, twice is trolling bro.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                      X