No announcement yet.

Eddie Hearn Q&A: Matchroom boss looks ahead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Hearn Q&A: Matchroom boss looks ahead

British world title success was once an enterprise of little consequence but those days are well and truly gone.

At time of writing, the UK boasts 12 major titleholders (tied with the US) and when one considers there are 11 American states larger than Great Britain, that statistic is truly remarkable.

The titleholders, in alphabetical order, are as follows: Tony Bellew, Kell Brook, Ricky Burns, Anthony Crolla, James DeGale, Terry Flanagan, Tyson Fury, Lee Haskins, Anthony Joshua, Lee Selby, Liam Smith and Billy Joe Saunders.

All of these fighters are ranked within THE RING Top 10 in their respective divisions. Among them are the lineal heavyweight champion of the world; Fury, two lightweight titleholders from the city of Manchester; Crolla and Flanagan, and THE RING’s No. 1 welterweight, Brook.

Of the 13 fighters listed, Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn has promotional agreements in place with seven of them.

Earlier today, the thriving promotional outfit announced that Crolla would take on Jorge Linares in a battle for vacant THE RING lightweight title and a unification bout between Brook and Jessie Vargas also appears imminent.

Hearn took time out from a hectic schedule to speak to RingTV.com about what else the future holds.

******.com: Anthony Crolla versus Jorge Linares on Sept. 24 in Manchester. Are you confident that Crolla can pull it off?

Eddie Hearn: I think boxing has a huge amount to do with momentum and, while Linares is clearly established as the number one lightweight in the world, I think this is the time to beat him. When you look at the performances that Crolla has given, especially in Manchester, I would have him as favorite to beat Linares right now. We had plenty of options but with the run Anthony is on, the only thing on his mind is to be the number one in the division and the linear champion.

RTV: What are the options for Ricky Burns going forward? You must have been delighted with his performance against Michele Di Rocco.

EH: My plan for Ricky is to defend his (WBA junior welterweight) title on Oct. 8 back at The (SSE) Hydro (in Glasgow, Scotland) and the options would be to have a voluntary or jump straight into a unification fight. There have been very early talks with (IBF titleholder Eduard) Troyanovsky and we’ve had a few chats with Al Haymon’s people about (former IBF lightweight titlist Rances) Barthelemy because he’s moving up. Ricky, for his part, would like a rematch with Terence Crawford, who fights Viktor Postol next month.

Personally, I don’t feel we need to rush into one of those fights just yet. We needed an excuse to go to Scotland and we got it with the world title fight against Di Rocco. Now, we have an excuse to go back and defend but, off the top of my head, I don’t know who that would be against just yet. There was talk of Ashley Theophane and, although I wouldn’t say he’s on a list, he might be relevant. For now, we’d be looking for an international name back at The Hydro.

RTV: Does Tony Bellew versus David Haye happen?

EH: It doesn’t get much bigger for Tony than the David Haye fight. The cruiserweight division is very tough and he had to beat one of the best (Ilunga Makabu) to win a world title and we’ll have a mandatory obligation at some point. Whether that’s (Grigory) Drozd, who I don’t think will be back in the short term, or whether it’s (Mairis) Briedis, I’m not really sure. We need to discuss the mandatory options with the WBC and then we can move on. If we are allowed a voluntary, then a mandatory would be right behind it.

For Tony, he really wants a high profile name at cruiserweight or a unification fight in September and then we could move to the Haye fight in February or March 2017. Tony is 33 years old and the Haye fight is so big financially, compared to other fights out there, that it is something you’ve got to take seriously. You have to remember, he came down to 200 pounds and would probably have preferred to fight at 210 (against Makabu). Can Haye get down to 210? He probably could, or thereabouts.

Realistically, I can’t see Haye maneuvering a shot at heavyweight, just yet, and he wants big money fights. When you look at what is accessible to him, he can’t get on Sky Box Office (UK Pay-Per-View platform) but he can if he fights Bellew. That would unlock the nice pot that he’s after.

RTV: And Jessie Vargas has signed to fight Kell Brook in the UK?

EH: Firstly, when they say Vargas has signed, that means he has signed an agreement with Top Rank. We’re still finalizing the agreement but it’s looking very good. Right now, we’re tying up the international television rights, working out who gets what and we’re waiting on the fixture list from Bramall Lane (Sheffield United soccer ground, where the fight would be staged). It is looking very likely for Aug. 27 or Sept. 3 and it’s a great fight for Kell Brook.

There had been talk about Liam Smith but, in terms of the world stage, I don’t think the fight is that big right now. I’ve always said that Kell will move to junior middleweight for the right fight but that would be against Canelo (Alvarez) or (Miguel) Cotto, not Liam Smith, no disrespect. There’s no need for Kell to move to 154 pounds if the best fights are at 147 and I think Jessie Vargas in a unification fight makes sense. We could be looking at an announcement next week (beginning June 13).

RTV: Presuming all goes well against Dominic Breazeale, what are your plans for Anthony Joshua over the next 18 months or so?

EH: My biggest concern with Joshua is making sure he doesn’t burn out because, after that last fight, the media obligations have been insane. He hasn’t had a rest since he began camp for the (Charles) Martin fight and now he’s straight back into camp for this one. Afterwards, I would like him to relax for 4-to-6 weeks and be a young man for a while.

The next step would be a title defense on Nov. 5 or Nov. 12. We badly want the (Tyson) Fury fight but my gut feeling is that’s more likely to happen next summer at Wembley Stadium. So, I’m thinking a voluntary in November or a unification fight (The WBC’s Deontay Wilder is the only remaining titleholder) would be next.

(Joseph) Parker (the IBF’s No. 1 challenger) is due to get a call on Nov. 19 and it’s possible that we have to take that one next spring. That’s a really good fight between two young heavyweights and it would be exciting.

RTV: Despite getting dropped, Lee Selby looked well against Eric Hunter last time out. What’s next for him?

EH: Selby is looking to get out again in the summer and the Josh Warrington fight could possibly take place in October or November. Lee also has an eye on the Leo Santa Cruz-Carl Frampton winner, which is scheduled for July 30. I think Santa Cruz beats Frampton but it’s a very close and competitive fight.

RTV: I spoke to (trainer) Dave Coldwell, who told me Jamie McDonnell was apparently gung-ho for the Guillermo Rigondeaux fight but that is now off the table.

EH: Jamie wanted that fight at Doncaster Rovers (soccer ground) but Rigondeaux has chosen to fight Jazza Dickens as chief support to Liam Williams versus Gary Corcoran at the Cardiff Ice Arena, which still blows my mind.

The bottom line is Jamie will fight anyone. I asked him if he was interested in fighting Rigondeaux and he said, ‘Yeah, is he any good?’ (McDonnell is not a fight fan).

We will commence negotiations with (WBA titleholder) Juan Carlos Payano providing, he comes through his fight against (Rau’shee) Warren on June 18. Another possibility is the winner of (IBF titleholder) Lee Haskins and Stuart Hall, or Jamie could move up for Scott Quigg (recovering from a jaw injury sustained in his loss to Carl Frampton). There are plenty of options out there.

RTV: Where do things stand with James DeGale and Badou Jack? Any word on the unification fight in September?

EH: James and I are due to meet up next week to talk through it all. I think it’s a terrific fight for James DeGale but I’m not too sure where it happens or where the money comes from.

By boxing out in America (and Canada) in his last three fights, his UK profile has dropped and so DeGale-Jack is not a pay-per-view fight over here. Is there enough money from a US broadcaster and a gate to give these guys a multi-million-dollar payday in the States? I think the answer is no. I don’t know what happens but I would love to see the fight.

RTV: I take it Callum Smith is in a holding stage, while DeGale and Jack sort things out?

EH: Well, Callum Smith is the No. 1 contender for Badou Jack’s WBC title and that’s due in September. We know that the unification fight overrides that but Smith is breathing down his neck, so we’ll have to see how it all plays out.

Callum got some rounds (against Cesar Hernan Reynoso) and he’s getting better and better. He’s happy to wait and fight in October because the winner of Jack and DeGale has to face him within 90 days anyway. Callum is in a great spot at the moment.

RTV: And you’re in the process of setting up a title shot for Kal Yafai?

EH: I’m in talks with (WBA junior bantamweight titleholder) Kohei Kono and (IBF junior bantamweight titleholder) McJoe Arroyo and I’m looking to make one of those fights in October. If Kal can beat one of these guys, he would be the first world champion from Birmingham. We are looking to have one of those fights there on Oct. 22.
Working...
X