No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
    I hold my Grandfather and all World War 2 veterans in high esteem. But guess what? If you pit them h2h against any of the armed forces of today, Navy or Infantry, they'd be nothing but cannon fodder.
    Mayweather is absolutely better than SRR technically if we're talking about looking at the footage available to us. I'm saying this as a person who ranks SRR No1 p4p because I acknowledge he's a trailblazer and his career. To say he moves better than Floyd? Posses a higher ring IQ? Throws a punch better technique wise?.

Dempsey would have 0 chance vs Super HWs Lewis onwards. Zero. He's a Cruiser, if that. He'd be rendered unconscious by these big boys that can actually Box. I have to emphasize the point this generations 'OAFS' can actually Box much better than the lumbering figures of Willard ND Co.

Coach Ray, Floyd would be your model student, would he not?.

P. S I friggin miss Elroy. That was prime History section.

Well Lennox Lewis is a career long Boxer who as a teenager/young Adult picked up a Golden Medal in the Olympic Games and then transitioned into the FULL TIME pro ranks. He then became unified champion beating the **** out of Tyson who was a supposed reincarnation of Dempsey. Don't tell me about a 6 ft 1 bouncer (if true) when you have Lewis and Soviet produced Wlad. Don't let me get into the soviet system.
    You know the mini empire that nurtured talented children to become world class athletes (in some cases by hook or by crook).
    We also have second generation Boxers now most famous and talented being Floyd. Eubank Jr being next up.

Quit spit shining Ray he doesn't need a little kid speaking on behalf of him.

He's not a HW by today's standard. He'd probably get a fight sanctioned here in England because we've got Bellew vs Haye but he'd 100% get knocked out. & to all you people saying height & weight doesn't mean anything in a limitless division, then you lack common sense.

B level competition? Isaac Chilemba would make anybody look bad from that era solely because of SKILL & TECHNIQUE. Isaac would have been a GOD those days. Have you actually watched the footage of those old fighters?. Usyk made mince meat of Isaac.

300 fight careers? Jack Dempsey had fights on par with Wladimir & B hop, give or take a few. This what you old crowd do, you just make up garbage and repeat mythological stories bandied about by the outdated closed press who made these fighters out to be something they're not.
    Firpo and Willard didn't have 80 fights between them. These were the super HWs Dempsey dispatched. You have the audacity to compare these guys to the likes of Wladimir and Lewis, Gold medalist before becoming unified champions.

Don't just throw around that 300 fight bullcrap especially when debating with me mate that's unfounded rubbish. You actually think a 1915-1930 HW has a chance in hell these days?. Boxing hardcore are panning out to be very fickle when you scratch the surface.
    Fantastic post.

Comment

• & for future reference I meant Dempsey isn't even better than Gvozdyk. Oleksandr systematically broke down Isaac using everything from the Soviet school and his amateur background.
      Nobody can tell me that Dempsey posses more skill & technique than the Bronze medalist. There's enough footage out there for it to be as clear as day
      moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• As much as i want to give the old guys a chance , as many have stated its about nostalgia , if we are talking talent wise then if Jack was born as he was in our era he if might become an ATG in his weight class due to talent , but if you teleport (as ppl suggest) him to today he will get massacred , look at Soccer for example , the game hasn't changed its basics but if you believe that Pele (the greatest soccer player of all time) can just teleport to our era and be the best player you need a wakeup call , its always relative comparisons to me , the only argument you can make in behalf of the last century boxers is that the talented athletes are not going to boxing anymore (they go NFL/NBA/ whatever) and we get the less talented guys now days and in turn they might be competitive , but as someone else said before , if we still get the same crop of talent then progress is to take into account and it has big impact , as i stated before take a look at an NBA/NFL/Soccer/Tennis games (most popular sports) if you believe that the old legends can just come over and compete you are delusional, note that in ALL of those games the game is simple and basic yet progress was made even if you might see the similarities its a different game all together.

Comment

• Came across this great old interview with Ray Arcel recently.

He first saw Dempsey fight in a New York club in 1916. He says he'd pick the Dempsey that beat Willard over Muhammed Ali. Wouldn't pick him over Joe Louis though.

Comment

• the cars and technology in the 30s-50s were supposed to be the best that ever were. we know thats not the case.

Comment

• "the cars and technology in the 30s-50s were supposed to be the best that ever were. we know thats not the case"......

Tell me one technical aspect in boxing that's been established after 1932.
              What new methods have been instituted?

Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                "the cars and technology in the 30s-50s were supposed to be the best that ever were. we know thats not the case"......

Tell me one technical aspect in boxing that's been established after 1932.
                What new methods have been instituted?

Ray
                Good Point

The Bob and Weave style has disappeared...that's why we're left with a **** heavyweight division loaded with big goofy robots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                  Came across this great old interview with Ray Arcel recently.

He first saw Dempsey fight in a New York club in 1916. He says he'd pick the Dempsey that beat Willard over Muhammed Ali. Wouldn't pick him over Joe Louis though.

Ali had trouble with the smaller guys.

He was lucky to get past Sir Henry Cooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                    Good Point

The Bob and Weave style has disappeared...that's why we're left with a **** heavyweight division loaded with big goofy robots.
                    Was saying this to Dr Rumack the other day. Serious lack of bobbing and weaving at HW these days.

Definitely a style that needs bringing back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                      Was saying this to Dr Rumack the other day. Serious lack of bobbing and weaving at HW these days.

Definitely a style that needs bringing back.
                      That style kept those 6'6 dinosaurs in check.

Comment

Working...
                      X