Comments Thread For: Burns-Vazquez Winner Will Have To Wait on Broner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

always pick the weirdest time to follow rules

Comment

I don't want to tell the winner to drop two belts, but I'd rather they fought Broner than keep them.

Comment

Burns is a lil b*tch

Comment

This is just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by diarraisagod View Post
            Sure Burns will be the more popular of the two, but as I said it's not like its in Glasgow where the atmosphere would be hostile to Vasquez, Burns will be supported decently but its certainly not his hometown, there actually tends to be a pretty heated rivalry between the Scottish and the English.

Take the Carl Froch vs Andre Ward super 6 fight for example, it was in Atlantic City, quite a few people called that a neutral venue, by the arguement your suggesting, that was in Ward's hometown.
            I see what you're saying, but I see the English as being different than Americans. They boo the rival fighter quite a bit more. I think they will get behind Burns. Just imagine Broner fighting Burns in his home country. They'd boo him out of the ring. lol But imagine that fight in the states. Burns wouldn't be booed that badly and neither would his national anthem. No where near as bad. So what I'm saying is Burns still has a hell of a hometown "type" advantage over Vasquez. I could see that influencing the judges. The crowd might go more crazy over Burns in Scotland, but I think they are going to go crazy enough over him in England. Or maybe the English treat Mexicans with more respect than they do Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
              I see what you're saying, but I see the English as being different than Americans. They boo the rival fighter quite a bit more. I think they will get behind Burns. Just imagine Broner fighting Burns in his home country. They'd boo him out of the ring. lol But imagine that fight in the states. Burns wouldn't be booed that badly and neither would his national anthem. No where near as bad. So what I'm saying is Burns still has a hell of a hometown "type" advantage over Vasquez. I could see that influencing the judges. The crowd might go more crazy over Burns in Scotland, but I think they are going to go crazy enough over him in England. Or maybe the English treat Mexicans with more respect than they do Americans.
              Well thats 2 different issues, the point I was initially trying to make is that this isn't Burns hometown, the difference between Glasgow and London for support will be substantial, and that ignorant idiot assuming everywhere in Europe means you'll get shafted by the judges is ridiculous. I'm not arguing that Burns will be the more popular on fight night, but trust me it will be nothing compared to if the fight was in Scotland. It may well carry him a round or two advantage in the scoring too, but thats nothing you dont see everywhere else. Judges are humans like everyone else and passionate support cheering every punch from 1 fighter and not reacting to the others is going to have an effect. Your certainly not gonna hear an argument from me that being the home fighter is an advantage, which always rubs me the wrong way why our best when pitted against the best of America always gets arranged in the US.

But yeah I don't think you can hold it against fighters for having more passionate fans, I think generally the British tend to get a lot more behind their fighters than the Americans, perhaps because we have fewer world class level fighters and its just different cultures supporting their fighters in their respective ways. It's certainly not an American hate thing. Booing during the national anthem is more a booing something that represents the opposing fighter rather than the nation. Also the 2 countries treat their national anthems differently, to Americans its really important, whereas us Brits arent anywhere near as into it.

Comment

Im sure Gonzalez or whatever will step aside instead of stepping up and getting taught a lesson in stick and move by Vasquez.

Comment

Originally posted by diarraisagod View Post
                  Well thats 2 different issues, the point I was initially trying to make is that this isn't Burns hometown, the difference between Glasgow and London for support will be substantial, and that ignorant idiot assuming everywhere in Europe means you'll get shafted by the judges is ridiculous. I'm not arguing that Burns will be the more popular on fight night, but trust me it will be nothing compared to if the fight was in Scotland. It may well carry him a round or two advantage in the scoring too, but thats nothing you dont see everywhere else. Judges are humans like everyone else and passionate support cheering every punch from 1 fighter and not reacting to the others is going to have an effect. Your certainly not gonna hear an argument from me that being the home fighter is an advantage, which always rubs me the wrong way why our best when pitted against the best of America always gets arranged in the US.

But yeah I don't think you can hold it against fighters for having more passionate fans, I think generally the British tend to get a lot more behind their fighters than the Americans, perhaps because we have fewer world class level fighters and its just different cultures supporting their fighters in their respective ways. It's certainly not an American hate thing. Booing during the national anthem is more a booing something that represents the opposing fighter rather than the nation. Also the 2 countries treat their national anthems differently, to Americans its really important, whereas us Brits arent anywhere near as into it.
                  Thanks for that. Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X