No announcement yet.

Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have ever read this book. I have managed to get hold of a PDF version. It has some top quality information and is very interesting. I'm sure I can use some of the things he say's in it for when i'm boxing.

Here are some of the first things that he says in the book.

"What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION."

"You can launch your body-weight into fast motion; and, like dynamite, you can explode that hurtling weight against an opponent with a
    stunning, blasting effect known as follow-through."

"Cowboy Jess was heavyweight champion of the world, and he was a giant. Moreover, he was a perfectly proportioned giant. He was every
    inch an athlete. He tapered down beautifully from derrick-like shoulders, and his muscles were so smooth you could scarcely see them rippling
    under his sun-tanned skin. He towered six feet, six inches and a quarter. He weighed 245 pounds. In comparison I shaped up like an infant or a
    dwarf although I nudged past six feet and scaled 180 pounds. My weight was announced as 187 pounds; but actually I registered only 180."

"EXPLODING BODY-WEIGHT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT WEAPON IN FIST-FIGHTING OR IN BOXING. Never forget that! I was at my
    peak as a fighter the day I met Willard under the broiling Toledo sun. My body-weight was moving like lightning, and I was exploding that weight
    terrifically against the giant. Even before the first round was finished, Willard looked like the victim of a premature mine blast."

Sorry if anyone has already posted this, I've done a search and couldn't find owt! Anyway I would advice anyone interested in techniques of old to have a read of this! Truly is awesome!

Originally posted by Left Hook Leuty View Post
    Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have ever read this book. I have managed to get hold of a PDF version. It has some top quality information and is very interesting. I'm sure I can use some of the things he say's in it for when i'm boxing.

Here are some of the first things that he says in the book.

"What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION."

"You can launch your body-weight into fast motion; and, like dynamite, you can explode that hurtling weight against an opponent with a
    stunning, blasting effect known as follow-through."

"Cowboy Jess was heavyweight champion of the world, and he was a giant. Moreover, he was a perfectly proportioned giant. He was every
    inch an athlete. He tapered down beautifully from derrick-like shoulders, and his muscles were so smooth you could scarcely see them rippling
    under his sun-tanned skin. He towered six feet, six inches and a quarter. He weighed 245 pounds. In comparison I shaped up like an infant or a
    dwarf although I nudged past six feet and scaled 180 pounds. My weight was announced as 187 pounds; but actually I registered only 180."

"EXPLODING BODY-WEIGHT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT WEAPON IN FIST-FIGHTING OR IN BOXING. Never forget that! I was at my
    peak as a fighter the day I met Willard under the broiling Toledo sun. My body-weight was moving like lightning, and I was exploding that weight
    terrifically against the giant. Even before the first round was finished, Willard looked like the victim of a premature mine blast."

Sorry if anyone has already posted this, I've done a search and couldn't find owt! Anyway I would advice anyone interested in techniques of old to have a read of this! Truly is awesome!
    Good stuff. I'd like to see more.

Comment

Yeah it really is an awesome read.

"I won the ring's most coveted title by stopping a man much larger and stronger than I was-one who outweighed me 65 pounds. I blasted him
      into helplessness by exploding my fast-moving body-weight against him. I used body-weight, with which the falling baby could knock out the
      truck driver; and I used explosion."

"Because I was a good puncher and because each opponent in those five big-gate fights was a hard hitter, the tremendous publicity given
      those extravaganzas made the world more punch-conscious than ever before. Incidentally, don't let anyone tell you Gene Tunney couldn't
      punch. Many fight fans have that wrong impression today. In our first bout at Philadelphia, where Gene wrested the title from me, he landed a
      right-counter to the head that staggered me early in the first round. I didn't recover fully from that punch during the rest of the fight. And at
      Chicago, in our second scrap, Gene drove me to one knee with a head-blow in the eighth round. Mind you, that was after I'd floored him for the
      "long count" in the seventh. Indeed, I found Gentleman Gene surprisingly explosive."

This bit is interesting...
      "Not one youth in fifty has any ambitions to become a professional fighter when he first goes to an instructor. That's particularly true among
      college and high-school lads. Yet the instructors continue-teaching boys to become "smart" boxers instead of well-rounded fighters. And that's a
      downright shame, for punch is absolutely essential in fist-fighting and it's an invaluable asset in amateur or professional boxing. Actually, it's
      stupid instead of smart instruction to teach other fighting movements to a boy before he has been taught to punch."

Comment

Sounds cool so far. I'm going to have to give that a read some time. I've heard of the book but not heard any passages from it. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Yeah, i'm just reading through it now on my laptop. So interesting hearing all his theories on stuff like aggressive defense and punching power.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Leuty View Post
            Yeah, i'm just reading through it now on my laptop. So interesting hearing all his theories on stuff like aggressive defense and punching power.
            Been hearing a lot about that book, need to make a plan to get it

Comment

One of my favorite reads. Tells you something about all the guys who say that modern fighters have all the technical advantages because of their new training methods.

Comment

Looks like a good read, but it's over $500 on Amazon. Not going to steal it either.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  Looks like a good read, but it's over $500 on Amazon. Not going to steal it either.
                  You don't have to steal it, it's floating around the internet in a browser-ready pdf. Look here for example. It's public domain because it's >50 years old, I believe.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X