Was Bert Cooper a good fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he were around today he'd be a top 5 heavyweight

Comment

He'd probably be a champion today. Cooper had real skills.

Comment

Nothing special but he was a legit top 10 contender in his day

Comment

Originally posted by BoloPuncher1 View Post
          Bert Cooper fan here as my avatar will attest.
          I would say Bert was a talented fighter who underachieved and didn't have the self discipline it took to be a champion.
          That said, he started his career quite successfully under the guidance of Joe Frazier, hence the moniker "Smokin' Bert Cooper. He was in a phone booth war with Ray Mercer, in which he split Mercer's lip and broke his jaw, but he lost the decision.
          On short notice, as a result of Francesco Damiani sustaining an injury, Cooper received a shot at Undisputed Heavyweight Champion Evander Holyfield and gave him everything he could handle, including knocking Holyfield down in the 3rd Round. It's not an exaggeration to say Cooper was perhaps a few punches from stopping Holyfield. Holyfield would rally to stop Cooper in the 7th.
          A year later, in 1992, Bert would get another title shot, this time for the vacant WBO title against Michael Moorer. What resulted was one of the best Heavyweight fights of the 90s, with both fighters tasting the canvas in the 1st round, Moorer hitting the deck again in the 3rd, and Moorer getting the last laugh with a 5th Round TKO.
          Bert had some nice wins in his career against the likes of Willie DeWitt, Orlin Norris, Tyrone Booze and Joe Hipp.
          Bert had drug problems that really derailed promising career. In fact it was that, and his reluctance to do roadwork that caused Joe Frazier to leave him a few years into his career.
          So I would say Bert Cooper was more than a journeyman but not dedicated enough to be a champion.
          good post..

Comment

Originally posted by BoloPuncher1 View Post
            Bert Cooper fan here as my avatar will attest.
            I would say Bert was a talented fighter who underachieved and didn't have the self discipline it took to be a champion.
            That said, he started his career quite successfully under the guidance of Joe Frazier, hence the moniker "Smokin' Bert Cooper. He was in a phone booth war with Ray Mercer, in which he split Mercer's lip and broke his jaw, but he lost the decision.
            On short notice, as a result of Francesco Damiani sustaining an injury, Cooper received a shot at Undisputed Heavyweight Champion Evander Holyfield and gave him everything he could handle, including knocking Holyfield down in the 3rd Round. It's not an exaggeration to say Cooper was perhaps a few punches from stopping Holyfield. Holyfield would rally to stop Cooper in the 7th.
            A year later, in 1992, Bert would get another title shot, this time for the vacant WBO title against Michael Moorer. What resulted was one of the best Heavyweight fights of the 90s, with both fighters tasting the canvas in the 1st round, Moorer hitting the deck again in the 3rd, and Moorer getting the last laugh with a 5th Round TKO.
            Bert had some nice wins in his career against the likes of Willie DeWitt, Orlin Norris, Tyrone Booze and Joe Hipp.
            Bert had drug problems that really derailed promising career. In fact it was that, and his reluctance to do roadwork that caused Joe Frazier to leave him a few years into his career.
            So I would say Bert Cooper was more than a journeyman but not dedicated enough to be a champion.
            Good post.

Comment

Wow...many people here don't know a sh*it about Bert Cooper, and when guys says things like "i looked at his boxrec and don't look good", is really sad.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                Wow...many people here don't know a sh*it about Bert Cooper, and when guys says things like "i looked at his boxrec and don't look good", is really sad.
                he had really good power

Comment

I think bert Cooper was a hellova hw when he trained properly for the time period to which he fought. Coopers problem was as he stated he has a bad habit of eating too many snicker bars in the middle of the night. He just could not remain disciplined. Too many bad habits and out the ring distractions. He did provide some entertaining fights.

Comment

He had more punching power than Mike Tyson, according to Henry Tillman. There's a youtube video of Tillman saying this.

Comment

Working...
                    X