Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just had a "medium" come to class and I must say...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    People believe it because of human psychology. We remember the hits and forget the misses. Sure, the psychic was wrong about my father being an alcoholic, me going on a long journey soon, there being a child in my life, being watched by a secret admirer and recovering from an illness centred around the stomach, but he told me that my great grandmother is watching over me and wants me to treasure the piece of jewelry she left me!

If you go see a medium with a little bit of knowledge of how cold reading works you will be seriously underwhelmed.
    I've been studying them a bit lately and knowing what i knew going in, it was an obvious sham. One girl started crying like crazy because she "contacted her dead friend" and guessed that "she liked music and was a good person that looked out for others". Even tho she got a "no" answer to 70% of the questions she asked her. Its an obvious sham, spirits talk to you but are wrong most of the time about extremely general stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      What class was it? Why did they invite a deluded charlatan as a guest?

I can understand to an extent why people believe in such nonsense. I think apart from the still grieving for the deceased, many have grown up never being taught to question things, and never feeling the need to. They are happy with their beliefs, and derive some comfort from them. They find reality too impersonal, but wouldnt even get that far with their thinking.
      Its my psych of religion class, and my prof is good friends with her and she was in town so he asked her to come in

Honestly if a spirit is talking to a medium, they should not be getting anything wrong, but they are wrong most of the time with extremely general things and then turn it around as a positive. Ill give you an example from today. She comes up to a young lady and says "did you lose a grandparent?" and the girl replies "yes". She then asks if it was a grandmother on her mom's side and she says no, it was a grandmother on the father side. So she says she sees the spirit standing with the mother's family which means ''she is a rule breaker and does everything her own way, she was a follower, not a leader, a very strong willed person". They are very good a deception

Comment

It's because people believe what they want to believe and what sounds best.

There was this great test done by the Amazing Randy. He gave an entire classroom a "personality test". He handed it out, asked them to fill it in as honest as they could and then would return with the results.

Turned out, every single time he did this, over 80% said the test was dead on. That it described them to a tee.

It turned out, he gave them the same results of a test given to Ted Bundy the serial killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Its my psych of religion class, and my prof is good friends with her and she was in town so he asked her to come in

Honestly if a spirit is talking to a medium, they should not be getting anything wrong, but they are wrong most of the time with extremely general things and then turn it around as a positive. Ill give you an example from today. She comes up to a young lady and says "did you lose a grandparent?" and the girl replies "yes". She then asks if it was a grandmother on her mom's side and she says no, it was a grandmother on the father side. So she says she sees the spirit standing with the mother's family which means ''she is a rule breaker and does everything her own way, she was a follower, not a leader, a very strong willed person". They are very good a deception
          Sounds like an interesting class. Your right, the mediums methods are terribly obvious. The tv shows are always edited to make them look good, but in person its clever guess work.

I always wonder why the 'spirit' tells the medium how they died. I know i wouldnt want to hear that. Id already know. Id rather want the spirit to tell me about a specific event or conversation. But the medium will always say their vagueness is because the spirit world is all foggy or something similar.

Or my favourite tactic is when they mention something about, lets say, a watch or painting. And the person replies "no, that doesnt make any sense to me". The medium will then say "well, the spirit is telling me about a painting so you think about it", and moves on. In other words, the medium tells the person they are wrong! Takes some balls to be such a **** when talking about a dead relative.

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          It's because people believe what they want to believe and what sounds best.

There was this great test done by the Amazing Randy. He gave an entire classroom a "personality test". He handed it out, asked them to fill it in as honest as they could and then would return with the results.

Turned out, every single time he did this, over 80% said the test was dead on. That it described them to a tee.

It turned out, he gave them the same results of a test given to Ted Bundy the serial killer.
          lol.

Comment

A lots of mediums do a lot of good.

They bring hope and comfort to a lot of people, who may be struggling with some aspect of life.

They offer a ear, advice, strength and a belief in a higher purpose so they can move forward and be happier in life.

Shameful, some of the comments in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
              A lots of mediums do a lot of good.

They bring hope and comfort to a lot of people, who may be struggling with some aspect of life.

They offer a ear, advice, strength and a belief in a higher purpose so they can move forward and be happier in life.

Shameful, some of the comments in this thread.
              You serious?

These fools lie and make **** up so they can profit off of people who are either too stupid to know any better or people who are emotionally vulnerable.

Comment

Did she say somebody in the class has a thing for gay rican boxers?

Comment

Originally posted by [ DUBBZZ ] View Post
                  You serious?

These fools lie and make **** up so they can profit off of people who are either too stupid to know any better or people who are emotionally vulnerable.
                  Psychiatrist get paid a lot more and do almost the same.

The happiness is more important than the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                    Psychiatrist get paid a lot more and do almost the same.

The happiness is more important than the truth.
                    Bro, what you're describing is the adult equivalent of telling a child that kissing their boo boo makes it all better: you know it's bull**** and it really doesnt work but as long as it makes them happy, its all good.

Comment

Originally posted by [ DUBBZZ ] View Post
                      Bro, what you're describing is the adult equivalent of telling a child that kissing their boo boo makes it all better: you know it's bull**** and it really doesnt work but as long as it makes them happy, its all good.
                      If someone you loved was sad/depressed and you could make them happy and well again by telling them a lie. Would you lie to them to make them happy again, or would you keep telling them to truth even though that will keep them in a state of sadness/depression.

Psychiatrists and Psychologist fill you with drugs and talk a load of mumbo jumbo as well.

The truth is not all it is cracked up to be, and sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Comment

Working...
                      X