Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider a fighters birth place as the country he fights for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you consider a fighters birth place as the country he fights for?

Nationalism is huge in every global sport . Some guys are born somewhere different from where they fight out of. Like tszyu was Russian but fought out of Australia. Do you consider their birth place as their true country ?

I consider what every country's flag a fighter comes out to the ring with as their true country.

F**k what fans think a fighter's true country is, .

Comment

Race before country.

Black power.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Rider View Post
        I consider what every country's flag a fighter comes out to the ring with as their true country.

F**k what fans think a fighter's true country is, .
        What about AB? He rocked the Mexican colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post
          What about AB? He rocked the Mexican colors.
          I didn't see the Mexican Flag with Broner.

Mikey Garcia said that he is Mexican and in a lot of fights he showed a Mexican flag in his corner

Comment

The Chicano thing is very strange in boxing. Several American fighters say they're Mexican but have never had a fight there. I get the heritage thing but are they American or Mexican fighters?

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
              I didn't see the Mexican Flag with Broner.

Mikey Garcia said that he is Mexican and in a lot of fights he showed a Mexican flag in his corner
              But he went all out and even got a custom made Mexican color hair brush. I think he's making his case as an honorary vato.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                Nationalism is huge in every global sport . Some guys are born somewhere different from where they fight out of. Like tszyu was Russian but fought out of Australia. Do you consider their birth place as their true country ?
                I consider what country they are a citizen of. I'm a Naturalized American citizen, but I only consider myself American. So I don't care where they were born, I only care what passport they hold. If theyre American, I'll root for them, regardless if they were born in Siberia, or Zimbabwe, or anywhere else, LOL.

Comment

Yea I think where you are born generally defines ones country to me. There are cases where someone was born in one place yet spent their formative years in another country where I consider the later as more meaningful as to their true country of origin or I consider it a more fluid combo of country's type thing (Lennox Lewis might be a solid example of that).

The guys claiming Mexico who weren't born in Mexico nor even spent any serious time in Mexico is a weird thing I definitely agree with that. Think a lot of that is based on the strong Mexican fanbase in boxing so looking more Mexican than you are isn't a bad selling point & just in general throwing up Mexican colors sits better with Chicanos than throwing up the US colors.

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                    The Chicano thing is very strange in boxing. Several American fighters say they're Mexican but have never had a fight there. I get the heritage thing but are they American or Mexican fighters?
                    Majority of Chicanos considered themselves Mexicans.

And more now with all the show of Trump.

Doesn't care if you fight here or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X