Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do these Eastern European/Russian fighters seem to hit so hard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
    I know it seems weird, but there was a time when lots of guys hit hard, Julian Jackson, McClellan, etc. That era faded away for a bit and defensive fighting became all the rage. Now strong athletic fighters who can hit hard are making a comeback, enjoy it
    The amateur system became a game of tag where it was advantageous to stay on the outside, not sit on your punches and score points at range. Coincidentally that's the style you saw from a lot of fighters.

Comment

How do guys like Kovalev have to much power when their physical build is kind of skinny and not muscular? I realize muscularity doesn't translate to power much of the time but it's always weird to see how skinny and weak Kov's arms and shoulders look....and his punches are like bombs. WTF?

Kelly Pavlik was one of the heaviest handed middleweight fighters at one time, yet he was build like a stick. He also took hard punches really well. Lucian Bute was a heavy hitter and he has very narrow shoulders and he's built like a toddler. Unfortunately for him ...he has the chin of a toddler too.

Comment

They're soviet kids, that makes you a hard motherfu cker, just like me.

Comment

It's only some of them remember. Just like everywhere else most of them aren't notable punchers at all.

But for the guys who are, it's a reflection of the Soviet coaching philosophy. Different to the modern Cuban or American or Mexican styles where the focus is elsewhere. The Cubans and Americans are more about mobility and ring positioning, with the Americans being more mixed and the Cubans being more extreme. The Mexicans are about pocket fighting and combination punching and you pressing your opponent rather than the opposite.

The classic style from the old Soviet school fighters is about precision and perfect punching technique. They don't waste a lot of energy moving around the ring. Their defence is fairly basic. But their 1-2 is way above the 1-2 of fighters at a similar level in Western Europe, the US, or Mexico.

There are loads of exceptions, like Lomachenko who is a very different style of fighter to a Tszyu or a Klitschko. But there are some general patterns that seem to apply. It's purely about the training focus I think. Don't buy the genetics arguments at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
            Agreed.

Too many guys taking the defensive approach now a days than realizing they too could be killers just like their opponent.

Guys like Holyfield, Tyson, Lewis, Julian Jackson, Hagler, Toney, Morrison, etc. So many guys were aggressive back in the day. Now everyone likes to fight off the back foot.
            For the boxing viewer it's better to watch the aggressive, come forward fighters but in the long run it's not better for their health and longevity of their career. The aggressive guys don't last as long. That style of fighting is very dangerous and they almost always deteriorate at a younger age. Fernando Vargas , Ricardo Mayorga, Brandon Rios are good examples.

I prefer the aggressive fighters but I appreciate the guys who are more defensive minded also.

Comment

Originally posted by Damn Wicked View Post
              For the boxing viewer it's better to watch the aggressive, come forward fighters but in the long run it's not better for their health and longevity of their career. The aggressive guys don't last as long. That style of fighting is very dangerous and they almost always deteriorate at a younger age. Fernando Vargas , Ricardo Mayorga, Brandon Rios are good examples.

I prefer the aggressive fighters but I appreciate the guys who are more defensive minded also.
              Why did you pick three fat asses.

Comment

Do you think GGG, Kovalev and Beterbiev will all be punch drunk?

Hagler, Tyson, Duran, Tua, Lewis, Julian Jackson, Foreman, etc all seem fine.

Hell, Foreman was a killer and ended up being one of the best businessman that was a boxer in history.

What Floyd said has some merit, but not all killers end up punch drunk. Many guys that end up punch drunk are that way because they fought past their shelf life, not because they were killers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                  Why did you pick three fat asses.
                  Vargas wasn't a fat ass until after he started getting beat up. He was a top welterweight fighter and very highly regarded. Was he a fat ass in his prime when he fought Delahoya?

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                    Do you think GGG, Kovalev and Beterbiev will all be punch drunk?

Hagler, Tyson, Duran, Tua, Lewis, Julian Jackson, Foreman, etc all seem fine.

Hell, Foreman was a killer and ended up being one of the best businessman that was a boxer in history.

What Floyd said has some merit, but not all killers end up punch drunk. Many guys that end up punch drunk are that way because they fought past their shelf life, not because they were killers.
                    Willie Pep died after years of suffering from dementia pugilistica. Wilfred 'El Radar' Benitez has been in a wheelchair for decades. Carmen Basilio was coherent and lucid till the day he died.

Comment

How do guys like Kovalev have to much power when their physical build is kind of skinny and not muscular? I realize muscularity doesn't translate to power much of the time but it's always weird to see how skinny and weak Kov's arms and shoulders look....and his punches are like bombs. WTF?

Kelly Pavlik was one of the heaviest handed middleweight fighters at one time, yet he was build like a stick. He also took hard punches really well. Lucian Bute was a heavy hitter and he has very narrow shoulders and he's built like a toddler. Unfortunately for him ...he has the chin of a toddler too.
                      You think punching power is determined by how big your biceps are. That's so adorable.

Comment

Working...
                      X