Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I suppose this is why the US isnt producing those elite HWs anymore.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose this is why the US isnt producing those elite HWs anymore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/45899704
    For the four-year Olympic boxing cycle that runs from Rio to Tokyo, GB boxing has been given more than £14m. Medals means money. Compare that to American amateur boxing, where the USA team from 1999 to 2015 were given $14m (£10.6m).

so the GB boxing set up has received £14m over 4years from 2016 to 2020
    the US has only received $14m in 16 years from 99 to 15.
    This is even worse when you consider at one stage the value of the pound to dollar was much higher, i remember buying US dollars at $1.9 to the pound around 2005.
    so that $14m is more like £8-9m..over a 16 yr period.
    This is a pretty sad story tbh.
    I remember Angel Garcia talking about how bad it was at amateur level.

I also believe race comes into it. The GB set up, even without going to the olympics the likes of tony Bellew, BJS, Josh Taylor, Groves and many many more went through that system, they all trained in the same gyms around olympic coaches. From the uk perspective, amateur/olympic boxing is multicultural.

There aren't many white people in the US set up. I imagine a load of coloured kids..and therefore i imagine the US government not giving a single **** about them.

I also put this down to the fact that the US government used to spend heavily on athletes at olympic level during the cold war era to beat the Russians. Both the Russians and Americans were heavily into PED use. The fallout/bad press from that aswell as the lack of incentive there was during the cold war era...and deep down that race issue too prob led to the US government basically abandoning funded into olympic level boxing.

the US has 5x the population of britain and it was over a 16yr period. In comparison to that £14m figure the UK team have received, the US should have received £280m...not a measley $14.

you can imagine the number of facilities, state of the art equipment, coaches, sports scientists etc..right down to scouting talent that US amateur boxing has missed out on.

I know this sounds corny...but the US really is the land of rugged individualism and to make it through all of that..youve got to have a special quality about you.

honestly...ive got a little bit of extra respect for those elite american boxers who did make it through now and it explains why people would rather go through other sports where they have the coaches and facilities.
    Last edited by Inspired; 01-15-2020, 10:51 PM.

countries like kazakhstan, uzbekistan, russia, ukraine, they are all about investing in amateur/olympic level boxing too.

Comment

If the U.S. TRULY cared for boxing, they wouldve appointed a federal commission YEARS ago. Former Senator John MCain and a couple other congressmen repeatedly tried to get a bill passed to create one. Time and time again the bill was DOA. These corrupt belts orgs threw tons of money toward special interest projects and at fundraisers for these elected officials.

Throw in barely any money given to the U.S. boxing team and other professional sports paying better money and U.S. boxers, for the most part, get treated like shi.t

Comment

Where not producing anymore Mike Tyson's or holyfields Ali and so on because the priority isn't there anymore its now in basketball football and rapping lol.not to mention there is a advance roid revolution going on in these European countries that we just refuse to compete with an I'm glad we aren't.With all these European athletes taking roids like there vitamins we don't stand a chance.and they have all these elite chemist out there to help them beat any testing thrown there way smdh

Comment

Originally posted by giant_king View Post
          Where not producing anymore Mike Tyson's or holyfields Ali and so on because the priority isn't there anymore its now in basketball football and rapping lol.not to mention there is a advance roid revolution going on in these European countries that we just refuse to compete with an I'm glad we aren't.With all these European athletes taking roids like there vitamins we don't stand a chance.and they have all these elite chemist out there to help them beat any testing thrown there way smdh
          ... yes: much more money in basketball and football...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
            ... yes: much more money in basketball and football...
            Lol and rapping and acting.

Comment

Lol and rapping and acting.
              ... I was speaking only about "athletes"...

Comment

Jesus, its non-stop with you isn't it!? Europeans, Britain...they did this, they did that. US aren't close to being squeaky clean. Get off your high horse.

Comment

Boxing simply isn’t a popular sport in the USA and hasn’t been for years. You might get the odd fight that casuals like but that’s it.

As for funding, the UK government and also lottery funding has been very good at investing in a lot of sports, boxing being one of them.

Boxing is a much more mainstream sport in the UK, which is a much smaller country which can help in some ways when it comes to public perception/collective thought.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlytheTruth View Post
                    Jesus, its non-stop with you isn't it!? Europeans, Britain...they did this, they did that. US aren't close to being squeaky clean. Get off your high horse.
                    lol well facts are the facts buddy.If you look at the history of roids and were it started.It started in Germany in the 1930s.testosterone was the first of many kind that was used originally to treat depression then the Russians used it on there athletes in the 1950s.And Hitler had his chemist take a crack at it as well.he wanted to dominate the Olympics but failed do to Jessie Owens.And now you look at today's Europe it's no different when it comes to there beliefs about body enhancement drugs.So yea i would say my points here are valid

Comment

Working...
                    X