Who had the best defense golden age of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
    An article praising Jack Johnson's defense:
    You don't have to agree with every word it says. Yet, Johnson's defense won him lots of laurels.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxin...C_JJohnson.htm
    Definitely JJ is the guy that came to mind first for me.

Comment

- -Klitschko bros deserve a mention in modern times.

They perfected a new big man style that allowed them to land 10 heavy punches to the one light punch taken. They are the most dominant fighters in history in that regard. They rarely dropped rds and usually KOed their opponent.

Comment

The Klitscko pair are quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by ron davis View Post
          Rusty, I was raving about Jack Johnson before you were born. Acknowledged this forum months ago. I know more about the Golden Age of Boxing then you'll ever know.

There were many Great boxers who you've seen on film.

You think sort of, Zivic, Armstrong, Amber's, Jenkins,
          Canzoneri, Angott were the best? Just because you seen them fight, you don't know anything, about who had the best defense. It wasn't any of these guys.

You mentioned Zivic having a great defense, yeah, with his face.

Willie Pep, knew who was the great boxer of GAOB. I can name many other's that agreed with Mr. Pep. Cheers.
          Maybe don't drink before posting here?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
            Definitely JJ is the guy that came to mind first for me.
            well, you've always been known for a size queen.

The rest of us are talking about skill, though.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              - -Klitschko bros deserve a mention in modern times.

They perfected a new big man style that allowed them to land 10 heavy punches to the one light punch taken. They are the most dominant fighters in history in that regard. They rarely dropped rds and usually KOed their opponent.
              While it isn't unlike you to go completely off-topic, it is surprising to see you pass on an opportunity to brag on your heart-throb, Sam Langford. The kimbo slice-bob sapp mash-up of his day.

I think Sam actually had very good defense. Not like the others mentioned, but still among the best.

Comment

There were many great boxers that you have NEVER seen on film. The top boxing sportswriters of the time, made known who were the best fighters of their time. Hands down Duran couldn't hit this guy in the ass. He was Jack Johnson reincarnated into a lightweight. Comes out of the gate like Mata Hari, piercing lightning jabs with effect, sharp shooter, aggressive, master boxer with impregnable defense and knockout punch in either hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ron davis View Post
                  There were many great boxers that you have NEVER seen on film. The top boxing sportswriters of the time, made known who were the best fighters of their time. Hands down Duran couldn't hit this guy in the ass. He was Jack Johnson reincarnated into a lightweight. Comes out of the gate like Mata Hari, piercing lightning jabs with effect, sharp shooter, aggressive, master boxer with impregnable defense and knockout punch in either hand.
                  Yeah, definitely lay off the drink for a while.

Comment

Mike silver is a genius

Comment

Originally posted by louis54 View Post
                      Mike silver is a genius
                      - -Mick Sliver was a murderer.

Comment

Working...
                      X