Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Old 01-06-2020, 05:24 PM #31
Laughter for the people!

Quoted: 4491 Post(s)
Citizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,169,051.76
Total Points: 2,206,215.04
No Message - MDPopescu giving gifts to legends - sugarsmosley to wipe the tears when bhop beats kovalev - jas knows his boxing - jas a good poster - jas 
Congrats on the newborn! - -KULT- Happy Father's Day, and congrats! :D - DionysusX Congrats! - MDPopescu Great posting, bro... - Tony Trick-Pony Cheers bro - Chollo Vista 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - 1hourRun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruedboy View Post
It might be helpful to mention the 6 month renewal of multipliers and how that affects unused multipliers. Thanks
Ah yeah, Good call, man. Ok, in the 2020 season we will be getting all our multipliers at the start of the year to use as and when we see fit.

The reason we did a 6 months split in 2019 was principally because we hadn't really come to a clear decision at the beginning of the year how many multipliers we were going to have. It had become apparent that 3 x3s and 5 x2s (which is what BroBob handed onto us from his tenure) probably wasn't going to be sufficient in light of the greatly increased number of fights we were covering, but we hadn't really firmed up just how frequent the games would be.

Now we've settled on the kind of schedule I think we're going to continue into 2020 I reckon handing them all out at the start of the year should work just fine.

So.

I think - unless we get a boatload of strenuous opposition over the next 24 hours or so all players will start the year with:

10 x2 multipliers

5 x3 multipliers

1 x5 multiplier

The x5 multiplier is a new introduction for 2020 and a bit of an experiment. The x5 multiplier is a kinda 'Hail Mary' which can be used at any time in the year but only on the bookies underdog as based on the odds given on the individual thread.
Citizen Koba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:32 PM #32
Laughter for the people!

Citizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond repute
No Message - MDPopescu giving gifts to legends - sugarsmosley to wipe the tears when bhop beats kovalev - jas knows his boxing - jas a good poster - jas 
Congrats on the newborn! - -KULT- Happy Father's Day, and congrats! :D - DionysusX Congrats! - MDPopescu Great posting, bro... - Tony Trick-Pony Cheers bro - Chollo Vista 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Murphy View Post
Newbie here and want to get involved in the Pick-Em
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
have read through the tread and haven't seen how to join? Is it a case of waiting for the first fight to kick the season off or do you have a more formal way of joining? Thanks and great site will be seeing my name on a few threads in the near future after I catch up on the threads Ö
Welcome to the game, man, and a pleasure to have you on board. I just wanted to give a personal greeting even though Cauliflower Ears already gave you all the pertinent info - it's simply a matter of waiting for the first PICK EM thread (NSB PICK EM 2020 #1 and #2) to appear on the front page of NSB and making your picks in the format described in that thread. We'll take care of the rest.

Best of luck

K
Old 01-06-2020, 08:53 PM #33
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
NC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond reputeNC Uppercut has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,512.81
Total Points: 38,582.34
No Message - HeadBodyBodyBody 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Murphy View Post
Newbie here and want to get involved in the Pick-Em
have read through the tread and haven't seen how to join? Is it a case of waiting for the first fight to kick the season off or do you have a more formal way of joining? Thanks and great site will be seeing my name on a few threads in the near future after I catch up on the threads Ö
Welcome Tony... itís a breeze to get started. Happy New Year man
NC Uppercut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 PM #34
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
koolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond reputekoolkc107 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,453.63
Total Points: 44,279.70
Ward KOed Kovalev - siablo14 Still Undefeated. - travestyny what a fckn twit you are - Boxing Goat excellent poster - ^lll excellent poster - ^lll 
good posts - ^lll Good point, on me. - Nomadic 

If you are going to use the new x5, and it can only be used under certain circumstances, it might be a good idea to specify which fights it can or cannot be used on each time a fight is posted.

I like the idea of the new "Hail Mary x5" multiplier. But, I like balance even more.

How about this: 10 x2 picks , 6 x3 picks , AND 2 x5 picks...with a player only able to use the x5 once each half year. In other words, you can't stockpile, can't have the two Hail Mary picks at the end of the year.

In any case, I am happy just to have the game and will be playing whatever is decided.
koolkc107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:20 PM #35
Interim Champion

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
CauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond reputeCauliflowerEars has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 174,946.12
Total Points: 187,859.30
Cheers, bruh - Tony Trick-Pony Loma Ruins Lives - Tony Trick-Pony Stay cool, my brother - Tony Trick-Pony Thanks, bro! - Tony Trick-Pony No Message - Tony Trick-Pony 
Let's go champ! - HeadBodyBodyBody 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
Ah yeah, Good call, man. Ok, in the 2020 season we will be getting all our multipliers at the start of the year to use as and when we see fit.

It had become apparent that 3 x3s and 5 x2s (which is what BroBob handed onto us from his tenure) probably wasn't going to be sufficient in light of the greatly increased number of fights we were covering, but we hadn't really firmed up just how frequent the games would be.
I think - unless we get a boatload of strenuous opposition over the next 24 hours or so all players will start the year with:

10 x2 multipliers

5 x3 multipliers

1 x5 multiplier

You think I can get Oneeee more X3 off ya ? Please ?

And btw, I really like the hail mary X5
. Matter of fact, I wouldn't mind another one of those as well... buddy
CauliflowerEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:33 PM #36
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2085 Post(s)
SUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond reputeSUBZER0ED has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,348.85
Total Points: 24,783.23
No Message - Sugar Booger go crazy - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
You lost me with this.

3+2 would be 5.

3x2 would be 6.

3 ≤ would be 9.

Right?

Or are you using some new hippie math?
Nah, that wasn't hippy math. It was George H.W. Bush's fuzzy math!
SUBZER0ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:18 AM #37
Laughter for the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTER1 View Post
Regarding the scoring I would prefer the scoring to be 20,20,20 with the option of split thrown into the decision just to make it more skill based less luck.
I could be shooting myself in the foot though as I'm only 3 years into being a fan of boxing and odviously don't know as much as most on here. Lol.
Edit- so I'm assuming the pikem crew will decide what ways to score and the rules before next week and let us all know?
Yeah, in terms of the final rules we decide on for 2020 I'll be putting up the masterthread for later on today. Really I should have got this thread up a bit earlier to allow more time for discussion but Xmas, New Year and my lad's Birthday kinda got in the way. I'll maybe see about getting the discussion going for 2021 before the Xmas period even starts.

And really this discussion is more about game mechanics and balance rather than boxing, so whether you been a boxing fan for one year or 20 doesn't really matter. Both your suggestions are ones that I've been quietly pushing for since we took the game over... of course we made a move towards increasing the emphasis on METHOD and DETAIL already in 2019 (from 20/5/5 to 20/10/10) but I'd personally maybe go up to 20/20/20 too. Maybe we'll think about it for next year though cos I don't want to make too many changes at once.

Similarly adding an extra detail pick (VERY CLOSE or whatever we decide to call it) would add an extra level of nuance to the game for my money and help distinguish the best players. The ranges I've always thought of was 0-5, 6 - 17 and 18 - 36 with a DRAW also included in the V.CLOSE category (it's always bugged me that basically a draw usually means that nearly everyone gets 0 points even if they correctly anticipated a very close fight).

Probably if we do at some point in the future change to a 3 DEC options system we may well decide to keep the DRAW pick alongside having draw results incorporated into the VERY CLOSE pick, so if you're thinking a fight is really to tight to call you'd have the option of either picking DRAW (which would net you 150pts but only if it actually was a draw, or VERY CLOSE on either fighter which would net 20 points if the result was a draw - 10 for method, 10 for detail - or 40 points if the fighter you chose won by fewer than 6 points).

It's a kinda artifact of the old polling system for making picks that we only had 2 categories for DEC picks anyway... since the polls were limited to 10 options BroBob was limited to 5 options for each fighter, so either 3 types of KO and 2 types of DEC or vice versa. We weren't entirely sure at first whether we'd be returning to a poll based system so I was reluctant to move away from the 10 options system in 2019, but I think now it's becoming clear the writen method for picks is here to stay there's no longer a good reason to confine the number of DEC picks to just 2.

Anyways, damn, I'm rambling again... I really do think about this stuff waaay too much...

We'll have the masterthread up later today with the final rules and the first 2 pick 'ems up shortly after.

Best of luck, man.

Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-07-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:46 PM #38
Laughter for the people!

Okay gents, final calls for input or comments, then I'll start work on putting up the masterthread in a few hours once the kids are in bed.

FWIW I'm now looking to go with the sentiment of koolkc and CauliEars - seems like more multipliers is popular even if it won't particularly grant a competitve advantage since we'll all get the same... buncha goddamn adrenaline junkies I reckon.

So most likely:

10 x2
6 x3
1 x5 per 6 months

With only one multiplier being allowed on each fight.

The x5 'Hail Mary' can only be played on fighters with +100 or greater odds (ie underdogs) or in the event that no bookies odds are avilable by the fight, on the Underdog as indicated on the Pick Em thread by the CREW. If neither fighter is indicated as an underdog by the CREW then the Hail Mary may not be used.

Furthermore whilst each player will start the year with 1 x5 multiplier, all players will be restored to having 1 x5 at the halfway point in the year (July 1st) irrespective of whether they have used it or not. In effect you'll get two Hail Marys each but you can only use one in the first 6 months and one in the second half of the year.

Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-07-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:44 PM #39
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
HeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 241,261.44
Total Points: 241,634.66
Actually made me laugh. Thanks for crackin me up - CauliflowerEars Thanks for the kind words - Chollo Vista 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
Okay gents, final calls for input or comments, then I'll start work on putting up the masterthread in a few hours once the kids are in bed.

FWIW I'm now looking to go with the sentiment of koolkc and CauliEars - seems like more multipliers is popular even if it won't particularly grant a competitve advantage since we'll all get the same... buncha goddamn adrenaline junkies I reckon.

So most likely:

10 x2
6 x3
1 x5 per 6 months

With only one multiplier being allowed on each fight.

The x5 'Hail Mary' can only be played on fighters with +100 or greater odds (ie underdogs) or in the event that no bookies odds are avilable by the fight, on the Underdog as indicated on the Pick Em thread by the CREW. If neither fighter is indicated as an underdog by the CREW then the Hail Mary may not be used.

Furthermore whilst each player will start the year with 1 x5 multiplier, all players will be restored to having 1 x5 at the halfway point in the year (July 1st) irrespective of whether they have used it or not. In effect you'll get two Hail Marys each but you can only use one in the first 6 months and one in the second half of the year.
Where are we sourcing odds from? And at what time-point?
HeadBodyBodyBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:21 PM #40
Laughter for the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
Where are we sourcing odds from? And at what time-point?
Very good call, man, its something that I had thought needed addressing but kinda forgot about with everything else under discussion.

Right. My system throughout 2019 was taking the range of available odds from odds checker and estimating a rough and ready average, usually I'd use the modal (most common) value and then just modify a little one way or another depending on the number and weight of the other odds... I reckon I was pretty damn accurate at getting a true middle ground of the range of results but I was doing it my head which obviously isn't satisfactory now we got prizes on the line. Also I was doing the translation from UK to US odds in my head too and would sometimes round a little when I got a result that wasn't a multiple of 10.

Also the time point was whenever I put up the thread, which could be anywhere from the Sunday to the Tuesday before the fight. Clearly that needs pinning down too.

OK so what we need is a consensus on the most reible odds site and a decision on which odds to use for each fighter if we're using a comparison site. I'm not a gambling dude cept on rarest of occasions so it ain't really an area of expertise for me, so I could really use a bit of input on this one.

Hmm. I've kinda got my hands full at the moment with the kids but if you can look into in a little - maybe ask someone on the betting forum if you ain't into it yourself. I know Eff Pandas likes a little bit of a flutter and there's a few other dudes. If you find anything useful post back here and I'll look over it in a bit.

Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-07-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Share This With Friends