• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
    Keep telling yourself that America is a fading power
    I don't have to remind myself a fact that I already know

Comment

UK looks to be putting on the best shows.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        The US is no longer a super power. Heavyweights make FAR more money in Europe than they do in the US and have done so for almost a decade so theres not even a monetary factor anymore. Super middleweights in the late 90s and 00s made more money over here too. The last of the big US names have faded away.

pretty much every division has more financial benefits in europe. I know theres Haymon paying out his arse but that wont last long plus none of his fighters are PPV worthy anymore, which is where some of the money lies. TV audiences are also dwindling, getting a million viewers is seen as a big deal these days and that hardly ever happens anyway.

Once promoters are backed with more money, pretty much every division will be more financially viable in europe and not just heavy and cruiser.
        I have to agree with this. All the heavyweight money is in the UK .I mean an American champ ran to the UK knowing he would lose wilder makes like 1.5M a fight compare that to the at least 5M joshua makes

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
          At this moment, there's 4 powerhouses in pro boxing

1) America - a fading power, but you can't expect a country where's the most boxing money is located and which fighters got more advantages to be completely out of the picture, of course, a big country with 350 millions of population and the biggest economy supposed to produce amazing talents and have his own style of boxing. American fighters are usually the best at dictating the pace of the fight and controlling the distance

2) ex-USSR/CIS bloc - they're oftenly called "eastern europeans" which is wrong, because that style represents Soviet school of boxing, which doesn't even exist in most of European countries, and Kazakhstan or most of Russia's territory is in Asia. They're physically stronger and bigger, that's why they have more influence in heavy divisions (LHW/CW/HW) and usually they have very developed amateur backgrounds before they turn pro, even though they always have to adapt their styles to pro boxing. Their biggest flaw is that they turn pro at late age, when they don't have too much time to develop into stars, a language barrier, and unlike other groups, they don't have a fanbase consisting of ppv buyers so these fighters have it the hardest

3) UK - it would be surprising if a birthplace of boxing wasn't the force to be reckoned with in pro boxing. A loyal fanbase, profitable fights and it seems like UK boxing is having some kind of renaissance right now

4) Latin countries - mostly it's Mexico and Cuba. Exciting "toe-to-toe" kind of fights and the most loyal fanbase in boxing right now, their fans would always support their own. If you want to be a boxing star and gain a popularity in States - you have to go after Latin boxers and their fanbase and put #mexico in your hashtags in twitter and instagram. Traditionally, they're stronger in light divisions. Cuban school of boxing is standout and Cuban fighters are different compared to other Latin boxers. It was heavily influenced by Soviet school of boxin back in the days, but since then they transformed into their own unique style.

Honorable mention - Africa - they're probably not an elite and far from being the big force in boxing but they'd give any elite fighters the problems due to their awkward styles and the rhythm that is hard to adjust to, so how you can't respect that

Which style you like the most and why? Discuss
          I'm liking the rise of the Eastern bloc more than the others. As an American, I've seen the decline in popularity for the sport over here and it's not enthusiastic. I love the UK's resurgence and their crowds cannot be beat on enthusiasm. If I could go to one country to watch a boxing match, it would be the UK. The Latin American's are always going to be a force. They breed fighters like crazy in those countries. Many are dirt poor and rise to success through lots of sheer will. Those warriors are respectable but they've been doing this for decades. They are great but I haven't seen a significant rise from what they've been doing. And the Africans do provide an array of styles hat seem to throw off many fighters and are generally fun to watch, but they are not the rising force in the sport.

The Eastern bloc guys have extensive amateur backgrounds, seem to show a lot of discipline and use a lot of techniques and tricks in there I haven't seen in a long time. The whole Dempsey shifting technique I hadn't seen in hardly any fighters outside of Roberto Duran until I watched Golovkin and Kovalev and of course, Pirog's shifting right hand blast of Daniel Jacobs. The technique works very effectively as Jacobs had no idea what Pirog was doing and got plastered. They bring a lot of innovation in and their numbers seem to just keep growing. I'm happy about their rise and I think for some time, they will be the rising force and potentially the dominant force. Just look at the current p4p ratings anywhere and you'll see their faces.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
            I have to agree with this. All the heavyweight money is in the UK .I mean an American champ ran to the UK knowing he would lose wilder makes like 1.5M a fight compare that to the at least 5M joshua makes
            Big money in Germany too with Klitschko and now with Russia and a few others coming onto the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
              I don't have to remind myself a fact that I already know
              You don't know much if you think the US is fading...it's more wishful thinking.

You see....we have YOUTH and greatness on our side.

You guys....even your prospects are old

Comment

I voted ex-Soviet bloc because I enjoy seeing extremely roided guys.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
                  Unsurprisingly, Amir Khan encompasses all those powerhouses :

UK - Born there
                  USA - Trains there
                  Latin America - Walk In Music by Latin American emcee Mr Capon-E
                  Ex-USSR - Khan recently snapped a photo with Golovkin upon request

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
                    Unsurprisingly, Amir Khan encompasses all those powerhouses :

UK - Born there
                    USA - Trains there
                    Latin America - Walk In Music by Latin American emcee Mr Capon-E
                    Ex-USSR - Khan recently snapped a photo with Golovkin upon request
                    You forgot China- his chin

Comment

What a stupid thread.

Mexico do not need be with Latin America, Mexico alone is a great potency:

Juan Francisco Estrada.
                      Mikey Garcia.
                      Gilberto Ramirez.
                      Oscar Valdez.
                      Carlos Cuadras.
                      Leo Santa Cruz.
                      Canelo Alvarez.
                      Abner Mares.
                      Francisco Vargas.
                      Orlando Salido.

And young stars like Rey Vargas, Jose Zepeda, Miguel Berchelt, Joselito Velazquez, Juan Hernandez, Luis Nery, etc, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X