Assess cotto's performance....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assess cotto's performance....

And where does he go from here.

As far as last night, imo he tried being too cute. He boxed pretty well, but trout was able to effectively take some things away from cotto, mostly due to his size and slickness. Cotto was able to hurt/stun trout, sometime around the third or fourth round iirc.

Somethings to note, first time ive been kinda disappointed in pedro. Cotto is seemingly trying to be too cute when he boxes, almost to the point where he is almost amateurish in just trying to get points, and where the fuk was his jab? Should be his number one punch, always working behind it, etc. Oh, and pedro, can you tell Miguel how to block a fukn uppercut? His whole freakin career....

As far as where he goes from here, im not too interested in seeing a rematch. Its a fight cotto can win, but due to trouts size and slickness, its a longshot. Cotto would have to change his game up, not try to be so cute and just brawl. Theres a time to box, and theres a time to fight.

Canelo is a better matchup stylistically for cotto, but at the same time he is a big jr middleweight aswell who throws brutal shots, things could get interesting and turn bad for cotto quickly. Personally, id like to see miguel go back to 147. I think he can make it healthily, and is just lazy in this regard. Some good fights/matchups are here, including Guerrero, pac or marquez, etc.

What say you?

I agree with the Canelo statement. I still haven't watched the fight, but I hear Cotto faded pretty bad near the end. That and the fact that Trout seems to have roughed Cotto up at times makes me think a Canelo fight would look a lot like the first Marg fight.

I don't ever want to see Cotto as a stepping stone, and I think its gotten to that point. If I were to have it my way, I'd have him fight k9 and retire to see him go out on a win and a title (lets be honest, beating k9 is no achievement, it'd be more of a formality).

Comment

1. Cotto dint throw the jab because it was almost impossible do to the size and reach of Trout and Trout was pumping his jab all night making it dificult for Cotto to fet off.

2. He did what he could with all the disadvantages in height, reach, age and speed. I knew Trout was big but conpared to Cotto he looked like a 168 pounder.

3. Right know he should take a break and comeback in june of next year against Bundrage(if he still has the belt) and make the fight in Puerto Rico.

I have to watch the fight again but last night I had it 116-113 in favor of Trout.

Comment

Originally posted by Assteroid Field View Post
        I agree with the Canelo statement. I still haven't watched the fight, but I hear Cotto faded pretty bad near the end. That and the fact that Trout seems to have roughed Cotto up at times makes me think a Canelo fight would look a lot like the first Marg fight.

I don't ever want to see Cotto as a stepping stone, and I think its gotten to that point. If I were to have it my way, I'd have him fight k9 and retire to see him go out on a win and a title (lets be honest, beating k9 is no achievement, it'd be more of a formality).
        Yup K9 should have been the fighter he faced last night and should be his next opponent.

Comment

absolutely ran out of gas the last 2-3 rounds.

its shocking how absolutely weak cotto's right hand is. if cotto had a right hand he would be an atg.

Comment

He done well, just lost to the bigger, faster man.

I had it even after 8 so he was very much in the fight, Trout just made use of his advantages in the final rounds to pick up a great win.

I don't think he should walk away, just try and see if he can get back to 147, he's way too small for true 154lb fighters.

Comment

The size disadvantage against a superior athlete was a bit much for him I thought. He wasn't strong enough to get Trout where he wanted him on the inside, and while he was landing the left hook upstairs through his best rounds, Trout started to take it away from him with some nice right hooks of his own.

I think Trout was just more resilient than most people gave him credit for. He didn't wilt when Cotto landed hard shots and he used his own strengths well. If Cotto's power isn't intimidating his opponent he tends to find himself in trouble.

Comment

Cotto looked like a vet on the down swing in a division that he doesnt belong in. We can pick apart the whole fight to figure out why Cotto lost. The simple fact is that he could not reach Trout but Trout's jab had no problem reaching him. I'd like to see Miguel hang them up now but we know fighters rarely cut it clean.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
                  Cotto looked like a vet on the down swing in a division that he doesnt belong in. We can pick apart the whole fight to figure out why Cotto lost. The simple fact is that he could not reach Trout but Trout's jab had no problem reaching him. I'd like to see Miguel hang them up now but we know fighters rarely cut it clean.
                  Cotto still has alot left in the tank, specifically in the 147 lb division. Last night wasnt a matter of cotto being too old, too tentative to pull the trigger, etc but he just fought a much bigger, slicker guy. Trout fought a great fight, and came out with the w.

He can beat anybody in the 147 lb divison. Id favor cotto to beat guerrero, marquez, even pacquaio, but would favor mayweather over him, with that said cotto would still give mayweather a run for his money, again. Hes far from done, still has gas in the tank and can do great things for his legend.

Comment

I just think Cotto had it all stacked against him. Trout was just too good stylistically, he was busier, faster, slicker and stronger. Cotto wasn't able to get past Trouts jab and when he did get inside Trout tied him up or actually overpowered him.

Having said that Cotto looked slow and slugish, he didn't have any snap in his punches either.

I think he needs to go back down to 147 or retire. He gets Margaritoed if he fights Canelo and I don't wanna see Cotto as a stepping stone.

Comment

Working...
                    X