No announcement yet.

A technical survey of Marciano, why he was a great fighter despite his reach

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    Nobody really is. Some might have lower end of top 10, but usually top 15-20. And who picked him to beat Holmes? No post I've read here. The point was Larry would still win, but it wouldn't be a complete walk in the park. Rocky would have a puncher's chance at best and land some hard shots, but would lose a wide UD or get stopped late on a cut.

The only points made were that he's better than some people think and shouldn't completely crap on the guy's legacy. He fought in a weak era, but dominated it. If he could step into a time machine and fight his opponents when they were younger, he would have.
    most experts have rocky in the top 5 !
    google if you dont trust me.

rocky might win a couple of rds vs larry. larry has too many advantages for it to be anything less than a 9-3 or 12-3 decision.

really, rocky wasnt beating up a bunch of giants with long arms. he was beating up guys who were made to get beaten up.

my personal point is, if larry or any of our top hw were to, one by one, go back to rockys era, there would be tons of undefeated hws. those hw wouldnt know what hit them. its is highly unlikely rocky would fair too well in todays hw. think of bobby czyz.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Nobody really is. Some might have lower end of top 10, but usually top 15-20. And who picked him to beat Holmes? No post I've read here. The point was Larry would still win, but it wouldn't be a complete walk in the park. Rocky would have a puncher's chance at best and land some hard shots, but would lose a wide UD or get stopped late on a cut.

The only points made were that he's better than some people think and shouldn't completely crap on the guy's legacy. He fought in a weak era, but dominated it. If he could step into a time machine and fight his opponents when they were younger, he would have.
      Anthony... you cleared that up like a marciano suzie Q!! I was even able to giove you karma again. Thank you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SemiGreat View Post
        most experts have rocky in the top 5 !
        google if you dont trust me.

rocky might win a couple of rds vs larry. larry has too many advantages for it to be anything less than a 9-3 or 12-3 decision.

really, rocky wasnt beating up a bunch of giants with long arms. he was beating up guys who were made to get beaten up.

my personal point is, if larry or any of our top hw were to, one by one, go back to rockys era, there would be tons of undefeated hws. those hw wouldnt know what hit them. its is highly unlikely rocky would fair too well in todays hw. think of bobby czyz.
        Most experts...ok.

Reminds me if the seventies when I was a wee lad and a favorite commercial strategy was to say "Most doctors agree _________. And how exactly do we quantify that statement? Most doctors told my mother to relax and have a smoke when she was nervous and pregnant with me....explains a lot actually.

Heres a fact that Shoulder Roll pointed out: Most boxing people had tremendoud respect for Goldman. Thats a fact, you can see his influence and lineage and technical imprint. It was considered incredible what he was able to do with Marciano given the raw materials.

As far as Marciano against Holmes? I don't know. I believe this is a hard fight to analyze because the Rock would be so good at closing the distance. Of course Holmes would be so good with the jab.
        Last edited by billeau2; 02-18-2017, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Most experts...ok.

Reminds me if the seventies when I was a wee lad and a favorite commercial strategy was to say "Most doctors agree _________. And how exactly do we quantify that statement? Most doctors told my mother to relax and have a smoke when she was nervous and pregnant with me....explains a lot actually.

Heres a fact that Shoulder Roll pointed out: Most boxing people had tremendoud respect for Goldman. Thats a fact, you can see his influence and lineage and technical imprint. It was considered incredible what he was able to do with Marciano given the raw materials.

As far as Marciano against Holmes? I don't know. I believe this is a hard fight to analyze because the Rock would be so good at closing the distance. Of course Holmes would be so good with the jab.
          sooooooo...........''experts'' aint experts when it suits a need ?!?!?!? you should become one and show everyone how its done.

THE BOLD STUFF.....and i didnt have to type it !
          Last edited by Elroy The Great; 02-18-2017, 04:25 AM.

Comment

rocky wasnt beating up a bunch of giants with long arms.

Comment

sooooooo...........''experts'' aint experts when it suits a need ?!?!?!? you should become one and show everyone how its done.

THE BOLD STUFF.....and i didnt have to type it !
              Trying to explain how some general statements can be confirmed others cannot. Goldman is one of the most respected trainers who ever lived, its kind of like saying "Babe Ruth was a great ballplayer and most people think so."

Ascribing an opinion that varies as much as a boxing list to most trainers is like saying "Most baseball experts think the babe was a better pitcher than hitter." No...Thats a point that is naturally debated!

Its good your ignorance is probably helpful actually... It might help others avoid such pitfalls...bravo diaper boy/man!!!!

Comment

Trying to explain how some general statements can be confirmed others cannot. Goldman is one of the most respected trainers who ever lived, its kind of like saying "Babe Ruth was a great ballplayer and most people think so."

Ascribing an opinion that varies as much as a boxing list to most trainers is like saying "Most baseball experts think the babe was a better pitcher than hitter." No...Thats a point that is naturally debated!

Its good your ignorance is probably helpful actually... It might help others avoid such pitfalls...bravo diaper boy/man!!!!
                when dealing with those THE SPORT HAS DEEMED EXPERT, ill go with that crew. they rank rocky very high. NOW we know better ?!?!?!?!?

!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

bravo diaper boy/man!!!!
                  thanks....

which one are you in your avy ?

Comment

rocky wasnt beating up a bunch of giants with long arms.
                    strange, no one is in a rush to dispute this with the names of slain giants

Comment

It doesn't matter. He fought guys around his size in his era and he dominated. That's what he should be rated on, not comparing him to decades later. Imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X