No announcement yet.

Why didn't Kovalev go for the kill?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darius45 View Post
    They never came because he never pressed the action. He felt at ease just boxing and looking for a big shot (should it ever present itself). I feel in a rematch Kovalev will be less comfortable just boxing knowing the judges can screw him over.

The question is: Will Wards style of wrapping up Kovalev prevent Kovalev from pressing the action? I don't necessarily think so, because Ward, unlike someone like Floyd doesn't have the legs and to avoid Kovalev all night long jabbing and moving. And yes, Ward has tasted Kovalev's power, but Kovalev will adapt to Wards wrapping up strategy.
    But Kovalev didn't hurt Ward by pressing the action. It was a quick right after he drew Ward out with a feint. It was boxing. Sergey is primarily a boxer first. When he has guys hurt is when he presses for the kill. But again, theres a fine line between going for the finish and gassing out when fighting guys like Ward. It's the same reason why Mosley couldn't finish Mayweather and why Pacquiao backed off him when he had him on the ropes.

Comment

He did but Chihuaward ran for the hills as soon as he got dropped like a sack of potatoes. I HAD NEVER seen anyone run like that in a title fight, EVER.

Comment

I think it's half that/ half Kovalev thinking he was comfortably up on points. I don't know what was up in Kovalev's corner... Wish HBO provided us with a translator.
        On a side note - looking back at the KD - Kovy didn't even land all that properly. His hand wasn't in proper position. If he landed that punch with his hand in proper position it's a KO for 100%. Shoulda, coulda, woulda I know...but...just sayin'.

Rematch will be fun and Kovy will be more active especially early on. Ward will do the opposite...more defensive early and 100% dedication to jab and body work early.

Ward/Kovy 2 remains the best fight available in boxing. I know people want to see GGG/Canelo, but while those two are good and the fight will be fun, they aren't at the skill levels of Kovy/Ward. That's just the damn truth ya'll. Oh, and Ward/Kovy are the same age. Canelo is still entering his prime and GGG is already faded. Trust me, Ward/Kovy #1 fight in boxing still

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLpfbcXTeo8

Comment

I'm pretty sure Kovalev thought he was ahead on the scorecards and didn't really fight with the urgency he would have if he had known it was that close.

Shawn Porter style swarming wouldn't have worked though. Kov could've turned up the volume a bit more, but he would still have to use timing and strategic combos. You can't just bull rush a guy like Ward or you'll get tired, countered, and picked apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
              Because Ward is an elite world class boxer. Nd he recovered quite well in the proceeding rounds.
              Bingo!
              Why do peeps try so hard to discredit fighters? It's really pedantic.

Comment

I think he probably did but Ward didn't cooperate.

Comment

Ward was hurt early and seemed completely out of his element, so why didn't Kovalev capitalize on this?

Was it because he wanted to give the fans a long fight full of action?

Maybe he thought Ward wouldn't be able to adjust the way he did, and he could coast to a decision like they way he did with Hopkins?

Maybe he simply couldn't get the KO even though he tried? But if this is true, then why didn't he push the action more in the latter rounds when the fight became much closer? Why was there no urgency in Kovalev's corner?

Can we say that Kovalev was incapable of getting the KO if he didn't put it all on the line?

A rematch will be interesting, because now Kovalev knows even if he feels he's up on the cards, this won't be enough to secure him a victory. So he'll either get Ward out early, or he'll go balls to the wall in the latter rounds.

Ward has felt Kovalev's power but he hasn't felt Kovalev really pressing him.
                  Because he doesn't have the stamina.

He throws 2 or 3 punches...then steps out to tug on his trunks and regroup.

Just watch him.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    I think he probably did but Ward didn't cooperate.
                    You can stop making sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
                      I'm pretty sure Kovalev thought he was ahead on the scorecards and didn't really fight with the urgency he would have if he had known it was that close.

Shawn Porter style swarming wouldn't have worked though. Kov could've turned up the volume a bit more, but he would still have to use timing and strategic combos. You can't just bull rush a guy like Ward or you'll get tired, countered, and picked apart.
                      So you're telling me that Kovalev has to feel behind to go for a KO...

OK

Is that the reason he didn't stop Hopkins?

Comment

Working...
                      X