No announcement yet.

Postol-Matthysse here comes clinch ruining boxing again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malius View Post
    Shame Matthysee walked straight into Postol all the time, putting his head in Postols stomach or chest. Where was his inside game? Apparently no one knows how to deal with the clinch or have a back up plan.

Pretty sure Postal beat Matthysee in all categories except wild punches thrown and missed.
    Yes, he was already getting timed with right hands doing what he was doing.
    I liked Matthysse a lot, and I thought he can mix it up in boxing--like being a brawler/boxer.
    But he just doesn't have that much of a brain. When I saw the Lamont Peterson fight, I thought "Well, he can put in a lot of good pressure." Then Provodnikov, "Well he can box comfortably against someone who has given other fighters hell." And then the Danny Garcia, I actually gave him a slip.
    I always thought he was green for the veteran Judah as well. With Molina"He has a lot of heart" Last night I thought, well geez I should wager on a guy who can mix it up, over just a tall fighter with no pop.
    Big mistake.
    Matthysse has the worst corner in the world. He had the same game plan, and I thought "well he's not hitting the other guy to the body because his arms are blocking in the early rounds." But as they go by, he's losing, and I'm thinking" Does he not have any sense of urgency?" Then I thought of all those short greats who can properly cut off the ring--maybe take some punches and land inside for the world championship.
    And Matthysse was not about that at all. In fact, he just took punishment from the center of the ring. You'd think if someone had a reach advantage against ya, you'd watch some Mike Tyson film or something. Maybe move your head a little? Instead he tried one thing, a Hail Mary over hand right the whole fight and didn't question his corner. Well to his credit, he landed about two of them. What pissed me off a lot more was Postol was put in a corner and then Matthysse would bend to Postol's chest and then take a step back to the center of the ring the whole fight. And when he didn't do that, he would fall into the guy? I looked in awe. Matthysse might naturally have an issue with depth perception, or his feet are made out of cement to not quickly position a short punch somewhere? Again he landed a body and head combo early on, so I thought "he DID it, he's going to keep doing this, right?" WRONG. He did look lethargic though. I actually thought the world was against my bet and the fight was paid off. But my little brother shed more light as the fight went forth about Matthysse limited thinking ability and skill set. And by the end of the fight, I just, thankfully got back to the reality of things.
    You don't win fights solely operating from a one dimensional range preference. You don't win fights for having insane power with no brains. Maidana and Martinez were loads more clever than him at fighting. But Matthysse isn't all that creative in thinking it through outside of the failing game plan. I mean in the Molina fight, he wanted to fight inside because he was getting tagged by that overhand right from the outside, and he pulled that through. But in this fight he pulled a Canelo and tried to box the taller and more technically rigid boxer. I'm pretty sure he would of taken less punishment if he decided to be a full on brawler in this fight. He was getting wrecked in the center of the ring. Then he No Más it I don't have a problem with that as I already knew he couldn't win the fight anyway and his eye, but oh well. It looked as if he purposely walked into that shot and took a knee. :|

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Rigg View Post
      Man, that holding **** is annoying bro. I'm lot saying he set the all
      Time record in clinches but the dude held all night like a mother ****er. As a fan it's hard to watch.
      I agree the clinching sucked and im choked that my boy matthysse kept getting clinched but at least he threw lots of punches unlike some of the other clinchers. But i agree it needs to stop and these clown fans need to stop praising clinching as the sweet science

Comment

The tolerance for excessive clinching in this thread is absolutely ******ed. Do you idiots not even care that fights are becoming eye-sores because of an illegal tactic?

Comment

Postol said he'd get revenge for his pal Ruslan and I reckon he certainly did that, its hard to hate his performance his effort was by far cleaner than Danny Garcias.

Comment

I think Ukrainians have a case for being the P4P #1 clinchers in the sport along with Africans.

Comment

at the same time when u mull ur way inside what do u expect exactly? how about actually box

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero's Dad View Post
                The tolerance for excessive clinching in this thread is absolutely ******ed. Do you idiots not even care that fights are becoming eye-sores because of an illegal tactic?
                honestly i think they are just as bad when fighters cant box so they mull their way inside like they are playing football to me that is not boxing that is i cant box so im just going to rush in then whine when im held

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                  Everytime Matthysse gets inside he gets clinched... very nice, this is the future of boxing?

Then they'll say Postol is a master of the sweet science right?
                  Maxi, I lost money on this fight. I do agree, and I hope this is not the future of boxing, jack let Lucas hit behind the head. I think the biggest issue was those long arms, and enough power to deter Lucas, frustrate him, and unlimatelte contributed to Lucas walking into a decent shot.

I bet Lucas, I lost.

I am not talking PEDs, ref, prior injuries. My fighter lost. I paid.
                  Postol did his job.

My prefight statements, Lucas will 'Go Postal' on Postol were wrong.
                  Fight over, I lost, I paid, over.

May your love of boxing out shine any favoritism for any boxer.
                  May our sense of fairness in the ring be measured by the skills each warrior brings.
                  May we all allow our favorite boxers the right to fail, and we still remain fans.

Let's let deeds, and heart, not words or hype determine who the best man is.

Let us never see color in the ring, except blue & red corners.

Let us always be fair to each and every man who laces them up, and gives it his all. Win, lose or draw.

In defeat no excuses, in victory no prideful boasts.

Comment

The reason why Matthysse lost was because he didn't focus on body punches. There were times when Postol threw his jab and Lucas was already in a crouched position with Postol's body open. Instead Lucas decides to overhand to Postol's head!! We were all counting on body damage in which Lucas should've focused on since his advantage is crouching with an offensive attack. Also I don't know why Lucas ate those combos while not pivoting back with his guard or controlling the jab with range by just stepping back like against Ruslan.

Hopefully Lucas will learn how to side move in the ring. It was a close fight, nobody expected Lucas to quit. It really changes the perspective since this was a title shot. Really let me down.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                      It literally was everytime. Atleast until the midway point. The fight changed big time after some hard warnings from the ref and Postol actively trying to prevent himself from clinching, became a much better fight. Clinching really needs to be abolished, the clinching on this fight already went a little too long before the hard warning.
                      I understand that... I'm just laughing at the people saying that matthysse lost cuz of the clinching. It was wlad-povetkin type of ****... and even when postol wasn't clinching matthysse was getting beat to the punch.

Comment

Working...
                      X