No announcement yet.

Rugby championships in Vegas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    An NFL player would not have the stamina to last a normal Rugby Union game let alone a Rugby 7's match. Although the matches are short (like 14 minutes or something) the intensity is off the chain, they are basically sprinting the whole time and covering massive distances.

Even so Rugby 7's is not where Rugby's best athletes are.

Poor comparison.

So where are they?

Comment

New Zealand got embarrassed.

Comment

The stamina thing is a terrible argument. So the best in shape NFL players, not offensive and defensive linemen, wouldn't have the stamina to keep up with rugby players??? If America played rugby on a national level and cared for it like Football, basball, basketball, they'd smash rugby players. I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
          So where are they?
          Rugby Union and Rugby League...

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            The stamina thing is a terrible argument. So the best in shape NFL players, not offensive and defensive linemen, wouldn't have the stamina to keep up with rugby players??? If America played rugby on a national level and cared for it like Football, basball, basketball, they'd smash rugby players. I'm sorry.
            Those are two different arguments. If America cared about Rugby then they almost certainly would be competitive due to economy and size of population.

But NFL players would fail at Rugby. People seem to think that Stamina can just be trained for, this is not true. You can improve it yes but your overall level is determined by muscle make up, the percentage of fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibres you have in your body. NFL players, as has been pointed out by every American on this site, are strong and fast, so probably have a very low percentage of slow twitch muscle fibres meaning that they would most probably be poor over long distances.

Rugby players require very even muscle make up as they need short explosive bursts but also need the ability to run for 80 mins.

I respect all athletes in their sports, the same way i dont think an NFL player could cross over to rugby, the same is true the other way around...

Comment

Lol what an ignorant prick.

Comment

The funny thing is, that other thread i made having a laugh at usa ignorance, i got complained at for it, then this clown basiclly verbatim makes the kind of statement i was mocking.

Well done sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                  The funny thing is, that other thread i made having a laugh at usa ignorance, i got complained at for it, then this clown basiclly verbatim makes the kind of statement i was mocking.

Well done sir.
                  You really think that if if we didn't play American football, and instead had rugby too, and those same NFL players had instead played rugby their entire lives, that we wouldn't be a force in rugby worldwide???

Oh and I'm not the guy on a message board making anti-American threads weekly.

Comment

Stamina isn't a terrible argument, NFL players wouldn't cope in Rugby. Not to mention Rugby is a lot more physical than NFL. If you want to talk which is the more manlier sport, Rugby. The more physically demanding sport, Rugby. The more tactically astute sport, NFL. The more explosive sport, NFL.

The Americans put on a good show, cheerleaders 'n' confetti. You have to wait for plays, so I can see where you'd get the excitement and tension from. But I'd rather watch a game of Rugby, NFL is good in a 30 second clip.

I do love the 'If America cared...' argument, it holds no merit but it's used as if it does. It also seems the only sports they don't care about are the ones that actually matter outside of the country.

Comment

You really think that if if we didn't play American football, and instead had rugby too, and those same NFL players had instead played rugby their entire lives, that we wouldn't be a force in rugby worldwide???
                      That applies to every country and every sport.

Which is why it's such a stupid argument.

Comment

Working...
                      X