No announcement yet.

Was J.C Chavez Senior top ten all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    He didn't shut him out but he gave him a boxing lesson. Unfortunately Chavez gave Taylor an even worse beating.
    I didn't score a single round for Chavez when I watched the fight a year ago, if I recall correctly.

But I have a problem with the current scoring system, it doesn't really reflect how close certain fights are. This one for example. Or Jones-Hopkins I. Not that I have an alternative.

Comment

Taylor outfought Chavez for most of the fight but was not built like Chavez was for such a fight.

Any question who wins a 15 round fight like the ones you'd all rate above him got to participate in? If Chavez got the rounds of the true greats we'd all look back on the Taylor fight as his crowning moment and there'd have been no controversy.

Comment

Top 25 on my list, and that's probably pretty generous. He accomplished a lot and was a tough matchup for anyone, but his resume is nowhere near top 10. In fact, judging him solely on resume, he's maybe not even top 50. His famous "Streak" of wins was compiled primarily against Mexican street cleaners.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          Top 25 on my list, and that's probably pretty generous. He accomplished a lot and was a tough matchup for anyone, but his resume is nowhere near top 10. In fact, judging him solely on resume, he's maybe not even top 50. His famous "Streak" of wins was compiled primarily against Mexican street cleaners.
          He had a pretty damn good resume from 1984-1993! You do realize he fought as much as he did to stay sharp, right?

I'd like to see your top 50 just to see some of the guys you think had a better resume than he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
            He lost every round to Taylor the first time round, but knocked him out at the very last second. Almost literally.

Taylor was able to shut him out because he beat him to the punch every time then moved before he could answer with punches of his own.
            Nah mate that's not how it happened, there was a reason Taylor would have only won split decision, it was a close fight that Taylor was winning, and it shows on his face, some of his flurries were also a bit misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
              He lost every round to Taylor the first time round, but knocked him out at the very last second. Almost literally.

Taylor was able to shut him out because he beat him to the punch every time then moved before he could answer with punches of his own.
              Everyone knows the story of Chavez-Taylor. But the way I see it, Taylor was winning the rounds, Chavez was winning the fight.

I was just trying to make the point that it takes an awesome skill set, not speed to beat Chavez, which a lot of people (from what I've read) think

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                Didn't Greg Haugen say the same thing...before he was TKO'd by Chavez? Oh yeah, it was Tijuana cab drivers. Afterwards, he said those must have been some pretty tough cab drivers lol. Haugen was a character. I remember him fighting Chavez in Mexico and coming to the ring with Born in the USA as his entrance music. That takes some balls and a sense of humor. But yeah, a lot of those early wins weren't exactly a whose who of boxing.

Comment

Everyone who keeps mentioning Chavez "padding" his record....please go and look at Willie Pep's record. It is filled THROUGHOUT with plenty of "stay busy" fights with neophytes, journeymen, nobodies, and losers. But, I bet you don't hold that against Pep.
                  Last edited by jabsRstiff; 08-01-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    He had a pretty damn good resume from 1984-1993! You do realize he fought as much as he did to stay sharp, right?

I'd like to see your top 50 just to see some of the guys you think had a better resume than he did.
                    I said that if my top 50 was based on resume alone, then Chavez might not make it.

Ranking him on skill primarily, coupled with resume, I have him as a top 25 all-timer.

I have no objection with anyone fighting a lot of fights... sure beats a guy fighting every nine months. It's just not a Greb-caliber resume, that's all.
                    Last edited by SBleeder; 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Chavez fought a lot of nobodies but he also fought practically every name fighter of his time. He fought Camacho, Rosario, Haugen, Hernandez, Whitaker, and Ramirez among others. The only fight in which it's debatable that he lost round his prime was against Sweet Pea. And many believe he was just starting to slip around that time. Even when he was well-past it he was still fighting top elite fighters such as De La Hoya and Tszyu. Providing you judge him based on his first 8-10 years as a pro it's hard to find a better fighter. He's top-10 for me. And he happens to be my 2nd favorite fighter ever...

Comment

Working...
                      X