The official 2018 World Cup thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• they where nintey minute odds i quoted . for the thick kunts

Comment

• I picked Croatia to pull a surprise run to the Euro finals in 2016 and I got burnt when Portugal edged them in the round of 16, but they've come back and shown the form I was expecting of them then. Talent wise, Sweden can't really match up with England, but they play great as a team and won't be frazzled by the opponent. Hell, look at what they've done up to this point.

Buried the corpse of the Dutch in qualifying, sent the Italians to hell, out-played and should have beaten or at least drawn with ze Germans, shredded Mexico and banished them to a quick death at the hands of Brazil and now ousted a solid Swiss team. They will give England all they can handle, no matter who wins. If I had to rank the teams left, I'd go:
      1. Brazil
      2. France
      3. Belgium
      4. Uruguay
      5. Croatia
      6. England
      7. Sweden
      8. Russia

Comment

• Let me pose 2 questions to people now that we are down to the final 8.

Who are your picks to play in the final now?
        What finals matchup would you most like to see?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
          Let me pose 2 questions to people now that we are down to the final 8.

Whoever i say will win, loses.

I hold the fate of teams in the world cup.

Im thinking of pulling for the 3 lions but im not completely sold yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
            Let me pose 2 questions to people now that we are down to the final 8.

It seems pretty strange that one of England, Russia, Sweden or Croatia will be in a final. I almost can't pick one because it doesn't sound right. I think i'll go with Croatia from that side, just looking at their team on paper. I do think England can do it though. I think there's not a lot between them but i'll say Croatia

I think i might go with Uruguay from their side of the draw. They have genuine world class strikers and excellent defence too, especially centre backs and the rest of the team is solid and well balanced. Hard to beat i think. If Cavani isn't injured, i see them grinding out the wins, one way or another.

That said, i still can't write Belgium off. They have a lot of talent. If they can beat Brazil and look good doing so, then they might take some stopping from then on, if it seems like they have clicked into gear.

I'd like to see England v Brazil final because i'm English of course and i thought i'd never see us in a final. I'd like Brazil because they're synonymous with the World Cup. So it'd be pretty special to watch as an England fan.

I think we'll get Uruguay v Croatia.

Whatever the final is, it's one that nobody could've really predicted before the tournament.
            Last edited by TheBigLug; 07-04-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• I want it to be Uruguay vs Brazil in the final.

Comment

• Originally posted by VNDERB0SS View Post
                I want it to be Uruguay vs Brazil in the final.
                If only it was possible.

That's very possibly a semi final though.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                  If only it was possible.

That's very possibly a semi final though.
                  The only semi-final I don't want from that side is Uruguay/Belgium, the other 3 match-ups have me salivating. I'm still leaning Brazil/Croatia as most likely, though I think Belgium have a really good shot if they carry their momentum over, tempted to pick them instead. What I WANT to see is actually France vs England, that matchup is just too fun for me to root against as a neutral. Each side sends all their hooligans to the chunnel for a fight to the death
                  Last edited by BigZ44; 07-04-2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Anyone else hoping Fellani puts his elbow through Neymars skull?

England lucky to beat Columbia? England have Denmark level talent? And apparently it's us who are over the top?

Just look at the tripe you yanks post.. Flicker is the only decent non bias one. England destroyed (6-1) the team that stopped you qualfying for the world cup.. You have no place to talk

Southgate is building a great set of lads and if we don't win it here.. we will in the USA/Canada/Mexico WC

Comment

• Uruguay are so efficient, but i think lack in midfield. They have among the best strikers in the world, but there seems to be a poor connection in the final third for them to really hurt teams. You can't argue with their defence, and the strikers are capable of pulling worldies out of nothing. Would like to see them in the final.

Defensively, i rank the teams as follows;
                      1. Uruguay - Godin and Jiminez, nothing more to be said
                      2. Brazil - Other teams haven't really shown a big threat yet
                      3. Sweden - Stubborn, organised and efficient. Lack of concentration from the German loss shows weakness.
                      4. Croatia - Looked great against Argie's attack, game controlled from the midfield helps them defensively though
                      5. France - 2 clean sheets, however Peru were very unlucky not to get something from the game
                      6. England - Conceded in every game so far
                      7. Belgium - Conceded 2 to both Japan and Tunisia. Their best form of defence is to outscore you.
                      8. Russia - Set up well against Spain, but like Uruguay had shown earlier, a good team can kill them off.

Attack - my ranking
                      1. Belgium - Hazard, De Bruyne, Lukaku, Mertens - plus good bench
                      2. Brazil - Coutinho, Neymar (if he stops being a bitch), Fermino, Jesus, Willian - Not got going as of yet
                      3. France - Mbappe, Griezmann, Pogba, Giroud
                      4. England - Kane aside, haven't got the ground running but have players to do so
                      5. Uruguay - Better strikers than most teams, but midfield connection is weak
                      6. Croatia - Strong midfield capable of unlocking defences
                      7. Sweden - Fast on counter attack, but no world class player to change a game from nothing
                      8. Russia - Have surprised, and Dzyuba has been a handful against every team

Of course none of this means shit, as we have seen so far from this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X