Terrible second sparring session, confused what to do

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible second sparring session, confused what to do

Hey guys,
    Been boxing for a few months, sparred my 2nd time a few weeks back. I weigh about 145 lbs and I sparred someone around 190lbs. He was sparring for the first time and went 100% power, loading up on all his shots.
    I should have intervened and said something but it was only a 2 minute round so I didn’t. My defense was very bad since it was my second time so I got hit quite a bit.
    Its been about 4 weeks since the sparring and my left jaw yet has kind of a dull pain every time I chew, moreover there’s also pain/numbness right above my lip, and one of my tooth has started getting loose and moving about. Theres also a protrusion on the upper pallete of my mouth.
    I will be visiting my dentist soon, however I just feel really demotivated and disappointed. I have not been able eat properly and haven’t sparred in the past 4 weeks
    I’m not sure if I should continue or if it’s worth it if these kind of things happen all the time.
    How do amateurs and professionals spar several times every week without injuries, and teeth breaking and things like what happened to me, its just really confusing, I don’t know what im doing wrong,how do they spar without any problems and injuries, and I got so much to deal with only after my second sparring session
    just really confused about the whole situation and not sure where to go from here
    would appreciate some insight

Originally posted by Prettyprince View Post
    I’m not sure if I should continue or if it’s worth it if these kind of things happen all the time.
    How do amateurs and professionals spar several times every week without injuries, and teeth breaking and things like what happened to me
    Rather than getting into it at length I'll just say that your coach is a joke if he's letting you give up 45lbs to a guy who is going 100% on you in your 2nd time sparring.
    I recommend finding a better gym.

Comment

Why are you sparring anyway, a few months doesn't give you the earning power to spar!
      So now that you have sparred and your mate was 50lbs up and throwing his full power who is your trainer in charge of the sessions, Stevie Wonder? (no offense Stevie)
      Where are you in a buddies basement? No trainer worth a damn lets a 50lb advantage throw hay makers at a green kid, sorry your either a jackazz in the gym who needs a "get right" session or the trainer hasn't got any heart for novice guys.
      If you want to learn and spar then find a real boxing gym that has a real trainer. Being abused has nothing to do with boxing lessons.
      No one teaches people to be tough you either are or your not!
      Find a real gym.
      Ray

Comment

I've been there; in the past, being a 5'7, 15-year-old, I sparred the bodyguard of a pro, who happened to be 365 pounds and around 6'5.

In boxing, there's one simple truth: it's dog eat dog. Don't expect anyone, not even your trainer, to protect you. Don't expect anyone to take it easy on you, either. The ring isn't for "taking it easy." That's just a way to eat a bunch of free shots. Never go in with that mindset; half of your performance will be due to your state of mind.

You should try finding a better gym. No matter who you're sparring, you shouldn't be taking that kind of damage. So, I'd have to reckon that it's probable you're not being trained correctly, if at all. The fact your trainer let you go up against someone that much bigger is a terrible sign, as well.

I had pain in my jaw for a while after that sparring session with the bodyguard; it went away after a week. To this day, I question what the exact damage was, since I never got it checked; I've just hoped it was merely a temporary muscle injury.

In your case, it's been a month, and you're still showing signs of damage. That's not good. Get it checked, with x-rays. Take some time off.

Look, at the end of the day, if you're going to do this, you need to find a trainer who at least seems to care about you in the slightest. You can't just wing it. You don't want to end up with brain damage over a couple of sparring sessions in which you learned nothing.

To this day, I sometimes regret having gone into boxing. I think I'm fine, but it's logical to think that any shots we take have an effect on our minds. Our intelligence is what's most valuable, so don't let your brain get bashed around for nothing.

You may want to try other sports that aren't as vicious. Just know that, if you stay in boxing, there's no room for error.

Boxers aren't always hurt that much by sparring because of defensive techniques/training overall, mixed in with being paired with someone of a similar size. You seem to be benefiting from neither, so I'd say you have to do some thinking.

A trainer is just a random person; don't assume they know what they're doing, no matter what they say.
        Last edited by SunSpace; 12-05-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Great posts so far!! Agree with all of them.

Furthermore, if you haven't been boxing for a year or two, you probably (like most) have poor defense. There is very little to be learnt from 2 rookies bashing each other up, which your coach should know and the reason why everyone's telling you to go somewhere else.

Sparring is for learning and i bet if you sparred an experienced guy, he'd normally wouldn't bash you up (has nothing to prove). It's sometimes the rookies who don't fully understand why they're even in the ring, that go too hard. The experienced guys look like they are going hard but really its a very fast, controlled spar.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
            I've been there; in the past, being a 5'7, 15-year-old, I sparred the bodyguard of a pro, who happened to be 365 pounds and around 6'5.

In boxing, there's one simple truth: it's dog eat dog. Don't expect anyone, not even your trainer, to protect you. Don't expect anyone to take it easy on you, either. The ring isn't for "taking it easy." That's just a way to eat a bunch of free shots. Never go in with that mindset; half of your performance will be due to your state of mind.

You should try finding a better gym. No matter who you're sparring, you shouldn't be taking that kind of damage. So, I'd have to reckon that it's probable you're not being trained correctly, if at all. The fact your trainer let you go up against someone that much bigger is a terrible sign, as well.

I had pain in my jaw for a while after that sparring session with the bodyguard; it went away after a week. To this day, I question what the exact damage was, since I never got it checked; I've just hoped it was merely a temporary muscle injury.

In your case, it's been a month, and you're still showing signs of damage. That's not good. Get it checked, with x-rays. Take some time off.

Look, at the end of the day, if you're going to do this, you need to find a trainer who at least seems to care about you in the slightest. You can't just wing it. You don't want to end up with brain damage over a couple of sparring sessions in which you learned nothing.

To this day, I sometimes regret having gone into boxing. I think I'm fine, but it's logical to think that any shots we take have an effect on our minds. Our intelligence is what's most valuable, so don't let your brain get bashed around for nothing.

You may want to try other sports that aren't as vicious. Just know that, if you stay in boxing, there's no room for error.

Boxers aren't always hurt that much by sparring because of defensive techniques/training overall, mixed in with being paired with someone of a similar size. You seem to be benefiting from neither, so I'd say you have to do some thinking.

A trainer is just a random person; don't assume they know what they're doing, no matter what they say.

The trainers were not present, it was a university sparring session so essentially everyone spars everyone. I definitely will be mindful and only spar guys my size from now on

Comment

This sounds like my first (and only) experience--so far.

Our season was supervised but it still got out of control (both of us). I was better in about a week. I still work out but haven't been back to sparring. When I make it back I'll make sure the other guy understands no one will be throwing punches with enough power to really hurt someone. If it happens Ill stop and correct them, or get out of the ring.

I just need a guy to throw some light punches so I can practice defense, and so I can try to find some openings. Like touch football. Maybe that doesn't count as sparring though. I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Rather than getting into it at length I'll just say that your coach is a joke if he's letting you give up 45lbs to a guy who is going 100% on you in your 2nd time sparring.
                I recommend finding a better gym.
                this ^ .....

Comment

Working...
                X