Is this really $125m worth of fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need context

Originally posted by artfuL_ View Post
    If we assume the fighters Hearn announced for DAZN this week will be the fighers they plan on showcasing in their first year, is it really worth the annual contracted amount of $125 million (8 years by $1 billion).

So far have announced:
    -Joshua
    -Vargas
    -Andrade
    -Beterbiev
    -Hooker
    -Miller
    -Katie Taylor (lol)
    -3 rookies
    Might be missing one or two more names.

There is no chance that collection of fighters is worth half of $125 million.

Some serious questions need to be asked. Why hasn't Hearn signed more fighters with this infinite amount of money he is always raving about? How much money is he really getting, is the billion dollar amount just for publicity?

If you think all the PBC fighters are suddenly going to run to DAZN, think again. This was there chance to make an impression with massive announcement after another.
    For the $125m a year, DAZN is getting the simulcast of 16 Matchroom events in the US (UK time makes every single one of those a matinee fight) and 16 shows in the US.

Are the 32 shows worth $125m? No, but that do have some value.

Joshua-Povetkin, Brook-Khan, and Bellew-Fury or Bellew-WBSS winner are three solid main events. Callum Smith is still coming along great, and then you have Buatsi/Kelly/Okolie/Cordina getting to serious fights. You add in the 8 US fighters in fights, and you've basically got $50m-$60m worth of content to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSuperLeeds View Post
      that's all he's managed to acquire up until now in the first month of negotiations , he's hoping he will use these fighters and the announcement of the platform as leverage to attract more fighters, tbh it was unlikely that a big marquee name would take the plunge to DAZN before getting a jist as to whether it was going to be successful. I believe it has a good chance of been successful based on what it currently has on the platform and knowing that this is only a fraction of the content DAZN plans to provide and a fraction of the fighters hearn intends to sign. but if you want to hate and look for the negatives that's easy to do. I'm british but have no great affection for Hearn and it doesnt benefit me in anyway if he fails or succeeds, but as a BOXING FAN. you should get behind it and embrace it as should every US fight fan. if you want to be tribal and nationalistic then thats FINE when it comes to AJvsWILDER etc but for the sport to be a success and continue its regeneration we need to support these sort of things cos what TRUE BOXING fan would not pay $9.99 a month for what we have coming up in the WBSS?????????? never mind the additional content. the only reason it wouldnt interest me is because i use my phone and a normal tv with sky, i wouldnt want to pay to watch fights on my tiny phone screen i dont have a smart tv or ipad. If this platform is a success you get to see more fights which is all a boxing fan could ask for, more content!
      What additional content is that? Bellator? I personally wouldn't suscribe just by the fact that I would probably only use the app when a fight is on. I could careless about Bellator. Sop that would mean I would use the app around once a week for a fight and thats it. I use Spotify everyday. Netflix and Showtime I use daily. It's not about the price but about the use I get out of it.

Comment

They really need a star name from the U.S, break the bank for one at least, one who can carry the 3/4 PPV worthy cards.

Comment

I thought Hearn signed Daniel Jacobs too.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            I thought Hearn signed Daniel Jacobs too.
            Signed him to a contract with HBO. With this assortment of talent he should've signed them to HBO. These are all B side fighters

Comment

Originally posted by artfuL_ View Post
              Apparently Hearn is taking over the US and this is the best he can offer

This is a boxing forum where boxing topics are discussed, if you can't handle the discussion, log-off.
              Lol these kids are getting dumber by the day.

Look this is boxingscene, not moneyscene.

In your post you only talked about money and your main focus is that. If you name some fighters doesnt make it a boxing thread.

My god. Basic stuff.

Have a good day

Comment

I thought AJ isn't part of any deal? Thought he's a separate entity? From what I read (admittedly a while ago) all of Hearn's UK shows will be featured on DAZN in the US. All the small hall shows including the likes of Lawrence Okolie and Joshua Buatsi etc. To be honest it's a good deal, was just hoping for a few more exciting names to be thrown in there. Funny because Hearn will likely try to throw some of the US cards on UK PPV. Cricfree it will be for me.

Comment

you'll bring in more revenue in one joshua fight if it's marketed properly. problem is that joshua should fight on PPV in the states. he needs an american dance partner.

just for some context, canelo and golovkin did 27 million at the gate, and sold 1.3 million ppvs at 80 dollars a pop.

i have no doubts at all that wilder - joshua outsells canelo - golovkin on ppv if it's promoted correctly. the 50 million dollar offer indicates that CBS agreed with me.

they speak english, they're HW with knockout power, one of them is american, they look exactly like americans think an athlete, particularly a HW champion, should look. there is controversy that can be sold. they';re acutally in their primes and in shape and can f#cking fight... there's just so much going for the fight.

Comment

Playing devils advocate here, it would make sense to announce a "steady" stable now when you factor in the first month of content is "free" and already includes AJ (a fighter he already has) - announce a few bigger names in September/October and give people a reason to keep re-upping...

People are looking at this like NBA free agency in 2016 and he's spunked all of his cap space on Bizmack Biyombo with no room to make any more moves.

Comment

Working...
                    X