No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: DAZN Exec: I'm Confident In Making Canelo-Golovkin In 2020

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
    DAZN clearly has some say in who Canelo fights...I thought they could force the GGG fight too, and who wouldn't have thought that...they paid them both all that money, surely one would think they could have forced that fight.

But yeah in any event DAZN has a lot of say in who Canelo fights...that is pretty evident...if you've seen the contract and know the specifics feel free to enlighten us, but until then we are all in the dark on the details and just have to put 2 and 2 together here.
    I have never asked anyone to sign a contract that doesn’t benefit my interests, gives me a favorable clause, or protects my investment and I’m a small entrepreneur in the scheme of things. I doubt any lawyer worth his degree put a contract in front of Canelo where DAZN does not hold all the cards, even more importantly for that amount of money and financial liability. You can’t raise series round of money to scale a business as they may need to with outstanding liabilities so I very much doubt the way they handle Canelo now is anything short of keeping the talent happy, if they needed to put him in his place and give him a reality check I’m sure Hearn knows exactly what sub section of the contract to remind him of.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
      I have never asked anyone to sign a contract that doesn’t benefit my interests, gives me a favorable clause, or protects my investment and I’m a small entrepreneur in the scheme of things. I doubt any lawyer worth his degree put a contract in front of Canelo where DAZN does not hold all the cards, even more importantly for that amount of money and financial liability. You can’t raise series round of money to scale a business as they may need to with outstanding liabilities so I very much doubt the way they handle Canelo now is anything short of keeping the talent happy, if they needed to put him in his place and give him a reality check I’m sure Hearn knows exactly what sub section of the contract to remind him of.
      Yeah I agree...maybe I misunderstood your point lol...never think we have had those discussions, but I feel like Canelo has a lot to lose potentially if he doesn't do his part to make DAZN happy...even if he is able to get out of the contract with no repercussions, I don't know if he can get another deal averaging $30+ million per fight for like 8 fights like he still has with DAZN.

Comment

DAZN clearly has some say in who Canelo fights...I thought they could force the GGG fight too, and who wouldn't have thought that...they paid them both all that money, surely one would think they could have forced that fight.

But yeah in any event DAZN has a lot of say in who Canelo fights...that is pretty evident...if you've seen the contract and know the specifics feel free to enlighten us, but until then we are all in the dark on the details and just have to put 2 and 2 together here.
        Anyone that has read the Ali Act would know that DAZN can't dictate who Canelo fights. They can have pay levels for the quality of opponents in the deal. They can choose not to air fights*. But, they can't dictate fights. They can't interfere with a mandatory.

*Most likely there is language in the contract that dictates exactly what fights would meet this requirement along with dealing with any fight that goes to a purse bid.

Comment

Originally posted by jimisawesome View Post
          Anyone that has read the Ali Act would know that DAZN can't dictate who Canelo fights. They can have pay levels for the quality of opponents in the deal. They can choose not to air fights*. But, they can't dictate fights. They can't interfere with a mandatory.

*Most likely there is language in the contract that dictates exactly what fights would meet this requirement along with dealing with any fight that goes to a purse bid.
          Right...and since GGG wasn't with DAZN at the time of Canelo's deal, I was never saying that it was in Canelo's contract to face GGG.

But as you mentioned, I assume there are ways in which DAZN has veto authority over Canelo's opponents to a certain degree...I would assume they have a way or two to force the GGG fight still, but maybe not...not sure on the specifics but I'm sure there is some legalese in these contracts that protects a company like DAZN.

Comment

Right...and since GGG wasn't with DAZN at the time of Canelo's deal, I was never saying that it was in Canelo's contract to face GGG.

But as you mentioned, I assume there are ways in which DAZN has veto authority over Canelo's opponents to a certain degree...I would assume they have a way or two to force the GGG fight still, but maybe not...not sure on the specifics but I'm sure there is some legalese in these contracts that protects a company like DAZN.
            There is no way for DAZN to write a contract that allows only the GGG fight that does not violate the Ali Act. There is no way to write a contract that would allow GGG but somehow not allow Kov. They have similar PPV numbers, similar gates as headliners, similar ratings, Kov is a champ and at a higher weight class.

You would have to be about the worst lawyer to come up with a contract that would allow DAZN to dictate opponents, to veto opponents that are ranked in the top 10 or are mandatories.

More importantly to this discussion. Canelo had all the power in the negotiation. He was going to be paid no matter where he went and everyone wanted him. DAZN is the smallest platform, a new platform working with a new business model, not owned by a larger media company to provide cross-promotion. DAZN is owned by a shady dude with ties to the Kremlin. With a new boss that has a coke problem.

Granted without the contract the none Ali Act stuff I mention is speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by jimisawesome View Post
              There is no way for DAZN to write a contract that allows only the GGG fight that does not violate the Ali Act. There is no way to write a contract that would allow GGG but somehow not allow Kov. They have similar PPV numbers, similar gates as headliners, similar ratings, Kov is a champ and at a higher weight class.

You would have to be about the worst lawyer to come up with a contract that would allow DAZN to dictate opponents, to veto opponents that are ranked in the top 10 or are mandatories.

More importantly to this discussion. Canelo had all the power in the negotiation. He was going to be paid no matter where he went and everyone wanted him. DAZN is the smallest platform, a new platform working with a new business model, not owned by a larger media company to provide cross-promotion. DAZN is owned by a shady dude with ties to the Kremlin. With a new boss that has a coke problem.

Granted without the contract the none Ali Act stuff I mention is speculation.
              Yeah I mean I'm not exactly sure of your angle here lol...but Canelo-GGG 1 and 2 both did 100 million in revenue...hard to say what Canelo-Kovalev will do since it is a different platform...but I would assume Canelo-GGG 3 would do close to $100 million again...so DAZN will always want that fight, and will be doing what they can to get it...I would think Canelo would want to play ball there, since he is getting paid so well and I'm not sure if he could really average $30 million a fight like he is doing with DAZN.

DAZN would have paid GGG $50 million tops if no Canelo fight, and that would have been overpaying him by like double probably...so I'm sure they are using their skills to force that fight as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
              X