No announcement yet.

Cormier Says Khabib vs. GSP is The Fight To Make

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cormier Says Khabib vs. GSP is The Fight To Make

When Khabib Nurmagomedov submitted Conor McGregor at UFC 229, it did more than just give him his biggest win ever, it also finally put to bed the specter “Notorious” cast over the UFC’s lightweight division for the last two years. Now, unencumbered by the question of when “the real champ” might return, the 155-pound division is free to get back to business as usual.

Or is it?

Having just dominated the biggest star in the sport, on the biggest stage, and making the biggest headlines of the year afterwards, Khabib is now a household name and, arguably, one of the biggest stars in the UFC aside from McGregor. Big stars tend to want big fights and while all logic and reason would have Nurmagomedov defend his title against Tony Ferguson next, rumors abound that the UFC is looking at a superfight with Georges St-Pierre instead. And while fans may not love that idea, some people are all for it, including UFC double champ and Nurmagomedov teammate, Daniel Cormier.

“Khabib has a number of options,” Cormier said recently on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show. “Tony is great. I don’t dislike Tony Ferguson at all. I think he’s a phenomenal fighter, this dude’s a beast. I think he’s the tougher matchup for Khabib but I say do Khabib vs. Georges St-Pierre. That’s the fight. It’s big.”

Of course that leaves Tony Ferguson in the lurch. He and Nurmagomedov have been scheduled to fight each other on four separate occasions, but the two have never managed to stand across the cage from one another. Given Nurmagomedov’s managers recent social media posts, it seems like a fifth scheduling is not coming anytime soon. One bright spot for Ferguson though is that at least Khabib won’t be putting his lightweight title on the line. Cormier says that a superfight between Khabib and GSP would be held at a 165-pound catchweight.

“Matchup wise, Tony, tough, GSP, super tough; but the history and the matchup of a GSP fight, at 165. . .” Cormier said. “It doesn’t have to be for a belt. This is a big enough fight that it doesn’t have to be for a title. Make it a catchweight fight. When you’ve got names like Khabib and Georges, it can be for anything. Let those guys fight.”

St-Pierre is one of only five men to win titles in multiple divisions in the UFC. He most recently won the UFC middleweight belt with a submission victory over Michael Bisping last year. He then relinquished the title to manage health issues but as recently as this summer said he would be interested in a fight with Khabib. A win over St-Pierre would be an enormous feather in Nurmagomedov’s cap and give him a non-official claim at being the UFC’s first three-division champion. But first he’d have to get the job done, something Cormier thinks would be possible but incredibly difficult.

“Khabib wins but this is his closest fight ever because you don’t just control Georges St-Pierre,” concluded Cormier. “But you’re asking me a loaded question because I’m never gonna say Khabib’s gonna lose.

“I think it’s a five-round decision. You don’t finish Georges St-Pierre, unless you are Matt Serra.”

Daniel Cormier defends his UFC heavyweight title this Saturday against Derrick Lewis at UFC 230 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

I wouldn't mind seeing that. Would probably need to happen at 175-185 doe, which is 20-30lbs above Khabib lol. Although Khabib is a big mfer, but he's also unproven at his walking around/natural weight.

GSP fought 185 in his 1 comeback fight & was 170 back in the day so I'm not entirely confident he can make 170 anymore. He took forever & had all sorts of problems with gaining weight so no telling if he's lost it or could lose it easily again cuz that Bisping fight was called off once or twice iirc.

So idk about the odds of it happening. But yea I've been seeing that rumor all over to lately so maybe there is something to it. I know he's not fighting Floyd is about the only thing I know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I wouldn't mind seeing that. Would probably need to happen at 175-185 doe, which is 20-30lbs above Khabib lol. Although Khabib is a big mfer, but he's also unproven at his walking around/natural weight.

GSP fought 185 in his 1 comeback fight & was 170 back in the day so I'm not entirely confident he can make 170 anymore. He took forever & had all sorts of problems with gaining weight so no telling if he's lost it or could lose it easily again cuz that Bisping fight was called off once or twice iirc.

So idk about the odds of it happening. But yea I've been seeing that rumor all over to lately so maybe there is something to it. I know he's not fighting Floyd is about the only thing I know for sure.
      After the Bisping fight GSP (who was beginning to gas at the end in spite of a super finish) said he was too small for 185 and that he was even small for 170...so I doubt it would be above 170...maybe even below that.

It would be a great match-up...I think at this stage I'd go with Khabib.

Comment

Khabib needs to finally get to fight Ferguson.

Comment

I gotta ask. When will people let St. Pierre retire???

Comment

Simply cannot convince me that Khabib will beat the Blanket. 170, 185, 205.... Nope. Won't believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
              I gotta ask. When will people let St. Pierre retire???
              When he dies? Or possibly shows some sign of age or weakness?

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                Simply cannot convince me that Khabib will beat the Blanket. 170, 185, 205.... Nope. Won't believe it.
                Me neither. This delusional fool needs to fight Ferguson, retire and STFU about any big money MMA fights. Boxing maybe if he has the right promo BS artists around him, but not MMA. Sounds like Khabib wants to make back the money he might have lost from the post fight debacle. One he gets his money, he should calm down.

Comment

GSP held up the MW title scene with his BS, hope he doesn't do the same to LW division.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                    GSP held up the MW title scene with his BS, hope he doesn't do the same to LW division.
                    Me too, but there is a lot of pressure on him.

Comment

Working...
                    X