No announcement yet.

The charity fights of ‘42 and [almost] Louis-Conn II

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The charity fights of ‘42 and [almost] Louis-Conn II

Before commencing it is proper to note that Joe Louis’ tax dilemma started long before the infamous ‘charity’ fights of 1942; Louis was not the innocent he is often painted as, he had not been making good on his tax burden as early as the Braddock fight and by 1942 was already in a deep tax hole.

The argument here is that the real culprit stopping Joe Louis from gaining tax relief from his 1942 donations wasn’t the US government, but instead Uncle Mike Jacobs. The government was trying to work with Louis; Uncle Mike wasn’t trying to work with the government.

About the charity fights:

Joe Louis donated his entire battle money (purse) from his 9 January 1942 title defense against Buddy Bear to the Navy Relief Fund, and then on 27 March 1942 in a title defense against Abe Simon, while in uniform, once again donated his entire battle money (purse), this time to the Army Emergency Relief Organization.

But there lies the rub; he donated his ‘purse.’

In January of ’42 trying to find some tax relief for Louis, with Louis’ induction eminent, manager Johnny Roxborough reached an agreement with a War Department representative, Thurman Gibson. (It was in the best interest of both parties if Louis was to enter the military tax debt free.) The plan was for Joe Louis to fight two title defenses, with Joe Louis, Johnny Roxborough, and promoter Uncle Mike Jacobs ALL donating their earnings to the NRF and the AERO respectfully. The fights were to be ‘charity events.’ Had this occurred an agreement with the IRS would have been fulfilled and Louis would have been relieved of much of his tax debt. Louis would have gotten credit for all of the donations.

But by mid-summer the tax situation muddied. Neither Roxborough nor Jacobs came across with their donations, (both took profit) and worst yet Jacobs (for his own tax benefit) paid Louis a ‘purse.’ This meant, while Louis’ donations did count toward paying off his outstanding tax debt as agreed, the IRS now claimed Louis was subject to new taxes on the money he had just earned.

The IRS didn’t see the fights as charity events, (and maybe felt like Uncle Mike had played them). The IRS claimed Louis’ purse was taxable income; under these conditions Louis should have paid his taxes first and then donated the rest. Whether the IRS was being a dick or not is open to debate, but it wasn’t the IRS who broke the deal.

Louis got blindsided, not by the IRS, but by his manager Roxborough (a former bookmaker and possible pimp) and Uncle Mike (a promoter) who failed to make good on a promise (to the War Department) to stage a charity event (Guess charity just wasn't in Mike Jacob's nature.)

Yet even after these back-to-back fiascos, the War Department amazingly was still willing to try to rectify the matter and got the IRS to work with the heavyweight champion one more time, (and even more amazingly got the IRS to work with Mike Jacobs one more time).

In the late summer of 1942 the War Department (Thurman Gibson again) proposed to Louis’ people one last shot at a ‘charity fight,’ the much anticipated Louis-Conn rematch. This time Mike Jacobs would be publically committed to staging a ‘charity’ event, with ALL the gate receipts going to charity. With an anticipated million dollar gate, both Louis and Conn would be relieved of their tax burdens. (Conn was signed with Jacobs, Conn had tax problems.)

The contract was officially signed on September 22nd and the fight set for October 12th, 1942. Everyone was in (almost).

Just a day or two later it was leaked to the press that both Louis’ and Conn’s contracts contained clauses where some gate receipts would be used to pay off private debts as well as tax debts. Jacobs was at it again, the two recipients of the private debt pay-offs were none other than Mike Jacobs and John Roxborough. They attempted to divert $136,000 from the charity fund into their own pockets. Furthermore it then surfaced that Jacobs had held back 200 ringside seats as well, claiming he needed them for comps.

It became a media **** storm culminating with Southern Senators taking to the floor of the US Senate and asking: ‘With American boys dying at Guadalcanal why was the War Department working so hard to bring tax relief to one wealthy individual?’ (Louis’ name was never mentioned.)

With the press and the ‘blue dawg senators’ clipping at his heels Secretary of War Stimson folded, the fight was canceled. Stg. Louis and Cpl. Conn where placed on active duty and the money returned.

Louis wouldn’t be able to fight for money again until ’45 and with the high tax rates of 1945 – 46 eating up the last few paydays he had, he was never be able to get himself out of tax debt.

The public got to see Louis-Conn II four years too late.

That was fantastic information, but this how I see it for whatever it's worth, the IRS and leaders of USA , like FDR & Harry Truman , should've forgiven Joes tax Debt, in my opinion it's one of the biggest disgraces in American history that a quality man like joe Louis who did more for his fellow man & the human race , and Black & a white relations that this country ever knew. Joe Louis broke the color barrier not Jackie Robinson. Joe faught over 90 exhibitions in Europe during the war and excepted zero dollars donating it all toward the war effort. Jimmy Braddock collected 7 of Every 10 dollars joe ever made after The Cinderella man decided to fight Joe instead of Max. The Govt did joe wrong period, so did his handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
      That was fantastic information, but this how I see it for whatever it's worth, the IRS and leaders of USA , like FDR & Harry Truman , should've forgiven Joes tax Debt, in my opinion it's one of the biggest disgraces in American history that a quality man like joe Louis who did more for his fellow man & the human race , and Black & a white relations that this country ever knew. Joe Louis broke the color barrier not Jackie Robinson. Joe faught over 90 exhibitions in Europe during the war and excepted zero dollars donating it all toward the war effort. Jimmy Braddock collected 7 of Every 10 dollars joe ever made after The Cinderella man decided to fight Joe instead of Max. The Govt did joe wrong period, so did his handlers.
      I am mixed on whether the IRS owed Louis a pass.

About the exhibition fights, that was Louis' job, he got sergeant's pay for it. My dad was in operations (Army Air Corp) he banged on a typewriter all day, he got corporal's pay. There was a job to be done, and everyone had a job to do, that was Louis' job (morale), he doesn't get special treatment for doing his job (and he never asked for it).

I have wondered about the Braddock-Louis percentage clause for years. I have heard that Braddock got 10% of all Louis' battle monies (purse) for ten years. I have heard that story multiple times. Never heard before the numbers you offered.

Recently I read a different deal where Braddock got 10% of Mike Jacob's cut for any Joe Louis fight he might promote; that the money came out of Jacob's end, not Louis'.

Despite the whole international politics of ducking Schmeling, more important to Mike Jacobs was that Jacobs wasn't part of the Braddock-Schmeling fight, he only had Louis signed. Jacobs was trying to buy his way into the big time, i.e. gain control of the HW Championship and Braddock held the keys.

Comment

I just feel that joe was did a lot for his country and quite frankly I think he was kicked down by his country, the IRS ruined his life, for the great joe Louis to be a door man at a vegas hotel is sickening. Joe Louis being carried by the likes of Frank Sinatra, Rocky Marciano , Max Schmeling, is humiliating. Joe turned into a bad drug user in his old age, a paranoid, sick man. The Government " IRS " beat him worse than Any opponent did.
        And that's that

Comment

I just feel that joe was did a lot for his country and quite frankly I think he was kicked down by his country, the IRS ruined his life, for the great joe Louis to be a door man at a vegas hotel is sickening. Joe Louis being carried by the likes of Frank Sinatra, Rocky Marciano , Max Schmeling, is humiliating. Joe turned into a bad drug user in his old age, a paranoid, sick man. The Government " IRS " beat him worse than Any opponent did.
          And that's that
          Well said, forced the poor prick to do those gut wrenching wrestling gigs to make a quick buck

Comment

He was Humiliated by the IRS,
            Joe Louis held all the pressure of the free world on his shoulders, in a time in this land where All Americans were not treated the same Joe had to be above reproach. I wil not speak of this again. And that's that

Comment

Heres the thing: Here is what we can be certain of, Louis like most fighters had no idea about taxes and what was owed to the IRS. His managers were not trying to do right by him in this regard, kicking the can down the road tax wise and never intending to make good on an event to straighten it out without Payola.

This happens to so many fighters, along with a lack of a fighter being able to take off for things that might well make a difference, with a good accountant overseeing such deductions.

People just do not realize how much taxes are...I post this point regularly here! Athletes have all their income on the table, and every state can and does claim a piece, when, for example, a ballplayer plays on the road. Ditto for boxers who have giant paydays and very little to deduct.

Louis was caught in the middle between his team and the IRS and neither side gave a sh11t what happened to Louis, thats the bottom line. Was Louis at fault? Hard question to answer frankly. The government takes things with very little provocation. It takes land that it lets sit fallow from farmers who cannot pay, it has ruined people in the past who were unaware of how much tax they have to pay. The tragedy is that neither side, the IRS, or Louis' managers, cared about Louis in this mess. That is sad.

Comment

Joe Louis held all the pressure of the free world on his shoulders, in a time in this land where All Americans were not treated the same Joe had to be above reproach. I wil not speak of this again. And that's that
                it didn't stop or start with Louis. That is what some people call a "clue." There is something wrong with a system that does this, and I ca guarantee that most people here could not state how much percentage wise a rich athlete pays out to the government. People might be aware of income tax, state and federal...but what about sales tax? and double taxation on investments? Heres a clue: most high salaried individuals pay over 50%. Does anyone think Louis knew this? I doubt it.

Comment

Still happens to this day. IRS has gone after Roy Jones, Mayweather, Pacquiao, Chavez Sr., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    Still happens to this day. IRS has gone after Roy Jones, Mayweather, Pacquiao, Chavez Sr., etc.
                    They have allegedly "softened." Traditionally there was never any discretion when the IRs was involved... and there you have it.

Comment

Working...
                    X