Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar ray Robinson Vs Kid gavilan was filmed.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
    If unable to provide evidence you should retract your claim.
    Chill out snapper head. I work 70+ hours a week and about to close on a client for 10k+. I'll get to it when I get to it. My archive is a mess. RAID, discs, and VHS everywhere.

Comment

Once in a while memory pulls an incredible trick, and so is not a perfect tool. I may owe an apology. I could have sworn, in fact I would have, that I had watched footage of at least Robinson/Gavilan II. But I cannot find a trace of that on YouTube now, which is the likely place I saw it, if I ever did, which leads me to suspect the OP is correct that it might be lost if it was ever filmed, since I see no reason for it to be taken down among all others.

I used to own a pretty good collection on cassette. That is the only other place I can think of where I might have seen it. I would no longer swear to it, but I still suspect I have seen at least part of this fight. Maybe it is a nasty trick of memory.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
        Chill out snapper head. I work 70+ hours a week and about to close on a client for 10k+. I'll get to it when I get to it. My archive is a mess. RAID, discs, and VHS everywhere.
        My issue is with unsubstantiated claims. At present I don't believe there is footage, you say there is so the onus is on you.

You can provide in your own time, but should accept the scepticism until such time.

I take this line as do not want a thread such as this to feed the myth when someone is researching subject in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          the OP is correct that it might be lost if it was ever filmed
          Neither fight were professionally filmed, any footage will of been captured by an amateur.

Comment

bump.......

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
              Hows the search going?

Comment

When I started watching boxing I was sure that I saw some Harry Greb footage on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                  I wonder if by any chance - even if it wasn't filmed or the film get lost over time - Was it covered by radio by any chance? I recently came across Fritzie Zivic vs Henry Armstrong II radio broadcast on youtube.
                  Not sure how regular live radio broadcasting was for fights - but for a fight like that - I think it would be incredible experience to try to re-live it even that way.
                  Thoughts, ideas?
                  Im still waiting for someone to post some gold in here myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                    I wonder if by any chance - even if it wasn't filmed or the film get lost over time - Was it covered by radio by any chance? I recently came across Fritzie Zivic vs Henry Armstrong II radio broadcast on youtube.
                    Not sure how regular live radio broadcasting was for fights - but for a fight like that - I think it would be incredible experience to try to re-live it even that way.
                    Thoughts, ideas?
                    Their 2nd meet in '49 wasn't broadcast in any way, that's why the fight was moved from New York to Philadelphia. At the time the New York Boxing Managers' Guild were pushing back against the Gardens monopoly over radio / TV broadcast decisions and the cut boxers got (average $400.)

The decision to black-out the fight was to boost the live gate, as at the time there was a belief TV was driving down attendance - when the net gate came in at $128,435 - it set a tone and soon other fights followed suit (Pep vs. Compo immediately after) until the Garden relented and gave the boxers a larger share / better pay.

Can't remember the '48 contest details, would have to have a look into it.

Comment

If McNulty actually has Robinson-Gavilan...

Comment

Working...
                      X