No announcement yet.

Marciano at cruiserweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marciano at cruiserweight

Where would you rank Marciano among cruiserweights? He would definnetely lose to Holyfield, but I actually think that Marciano could be among the 5 best cruiserweights ever.

I would rank him very high. I don't agree that he would have to lose to Holyfield. If you are going by today's rules the crusierweight limit is 200 pounds and they weigh in 30 hours before the fight. Many cruiserweights probably weight 210 to 220 pounds on fight night. That means lots of former heavyweight champs could make the weight limit and fight as cruiserweights if they were in there prime today. Young George Foreman and Tyson could have squeezed down to cruiserweight. Dempsey never weighed more than 190. Jack Johnson, Jim Jeffries, Ali, Liston, Louis and Frazier could all make the cruiserweight limit and fight there if they were in their prime today. Since there is no weight limit for heavyweights they often weighed in wearing street clothes, well feed and fully hydrated. I saw a photo of Marciano weighing in at 184 in street clothes. He could easily fight at light heavyweight if he were fighting today. Pound for pound Marciano was as good as they come. A little known fact is that Charles and Moore both weighed in at the same weight as Marciano when he knocked them out. Marciano was no heavier than they were.

Comment

How you think these playout...

Marciano vs James Toney
      Marciano vs Holyfield
      Marciano vs David Haye
      Marciano vs Qawi

Comment

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post
        Where would you rank Marciano among cruiserweights? He would definnetely lose to Holyfield, but I actually think that Marciano could be among the 5 best cruiserweights ever.
        He was never a cuiserweight.

You're wayyyy behind.

Comment

He'd be knocked out in the first rd of the WBSS. He's basically a smaller, poor mans Gassiev

Comment

Marciano was a great fighter and would be among the top LHWs all time.

Comment

I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling he would bulldoze everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                He was never a cuiserweight.

You're wayyyy behind.
                No, but he was too small to be a heavyweight under modern boxing rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
                  Marciano was a great fighter and would be among the top LHWs all time.
                  The sports changed so much. The skill and science of slipping punches, countering etc. In modern times is just so much better. Honesty, prime for prime... at lightheavyweight...

Michael Moore beats Marciano
                  Michael spinks beats Marciano
                  Roy Jones Jr beats Marciano
                  I woukd also with 99.9% certainty say a prime Chad Dawson,Antonio Tarver,Roy Jones jr could easily outbox Marciano. Most top modern lightheavyweights could. Andre Ward imo beats Marciano easy.

Comment

Originally posted by N!Ck F. View Post
                    How you think these playout...

Marciano vs James Toney
                    Marciano vs Holyfield
                    Marciano vs David Haye
                    Marciano vs Qawi
                    Toney would not last long against Marciano. Toney standing in the pocket and moving his upper body would be suicide against Marciano. The Rock didn't worry about where he hit you as long as it hurt. Arms shoulders, chin it's all the same. Toney would get worn down. The other guys on the list I don't know exactly how it would play out but Toney I am confident would get stopped.

Comment

Working...
                    X