No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts On Last Night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Thoughts On Last Night

First off, great win by Mikey. I've had him on my top 10 P4P list for YEARS (probably since Salido) and it feels great that many can now see what I have been seeing for the longest.

That being said, folks need to know the difference between a one-sided fight (which this was) and a beating (which this wasn't). I don't think there was anytime during the fight that Broner was hurt by anything Mikey threw. Actually, it was probably Broner that landed the hardest shots in the fight and I think at least once he buzzed Mikey but it was at the end of the round.

I think Mikey boxed masterfully, but it might behoove him to stick to the lower weights for a while longer, take a little time to grow out of 135. He looked a little pudgy as a 140 pounder and I think there are questions as to how hard he punches at 140. No way he beats Crawford right now.

On the other hand, I think he is a lock to stop a smaller Lomachenko or Davis or anyone 135 and under.

I am hoping Mikey doesn't make the same mistake Broner made by going up in weight too soon. Whatever he does, I will wish him well and be rooting for him in the ring.

Folks might have booed Broner's postfight comments...but Adrien has it right- he is pretty much assured a place in Canestota right now.

4 titles in 4 different weight classes will do that. And heaven help us if Broner finds an easy 154 pounder with a belt to beat...he'd be a lead pipe cinch lock then.

I like how Charlo looked but we still know absolutely nothing about him at 160. You don't get props for beating a guy who showed up to the fight less one wheel.

And by show up, I mean Heiland was clearly injured well before any punches were thrown. Folks will try to throw shade at Jermall for not taking the guy out sooner but I liked how he made sure he got some work and took his time getting rid of his opponent. It shows a maturity and a professional approach that will serve him well against the more elite guys in the division.

That being said, how was Heiland allowed to fight in the first place? Guy shows up with his leg wrapped better than Boris Karloff's Mummy and no one thinks anything is wrong? The only beef is that he has to take the tape off?

WTF?

Props to Heiland for getting in there anyway and getting that money, but someone higher up should have shot a burning slug into this, or got a suitable replacement.

Oh well.
    Last edited by koolkc107; 07-30-2017, 11:16 AM.

97% agree.

I would argue that we just don't know what Mikey would or wouldn't do to Crawford since Broner didn't show up to properly test him and push him to the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      97% agree.

I would argue that we just don't know what Mikey would or wouldn't do to Crawford since Broner didn't show up to properly test him and push him to the limit.
      I get your take and it has merit in one sense.

Adrien defintely could have put his foot on the gas earlier and more often but, just like most all his big fights, was so afraid making a mistake he forgot to fight.

You can't fight elite guys at Floyd's pace without also finding a way to slow your opponent down too, and AB and his team have never figured that out.

But, I think Mikey did have to show some knew things against AB and what I saw just doesn't bode well when thinking about a fight with Crawford.

Mikey nailed AB with some shots and Broner never blinked. While Bud did get rocked by Gamboa at a lower weight, he has never as much yawned getting nailed occasionally by bigger men. That's VERY BAD NEWS for Mikey, since Bud will be just as technically proficient and just as busy.

I say Mikey should give himself time to grow into a real 140 pounder before trying the best in the higher weights is all.

Comment

Mikey put a beating on Broner in the 11th round.

And 4 Division Champion or not, there's no way Broner is going to the Hall to Fame. He going to need at least two actual good win to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
          Mikey put a beating on Broner in the 11th round.

And 4 Division Champion or not, there's no way Broner is going to the Hall to Fame. He going to need at least two actual good win to get in.
          At no time during that fight did Mikey seriously hurt Broner.

A beating means serious hurt, and often.

And before you tell me how Broner doesn't qualify, take a look at the inductees from the past few years or so and tell me if Broner's record RIGHT NOW is worse than all of them.

Think of it this way...name another person who has won titles in 4 different weight classes who DIDNT Make the Hall. Name a fighter with titles in 3 different classes who didn't make it.

Comment

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
            At no time during that fight did Mikey seriously hurt Broner.

A beating means serious hurt, and often.

And before you tell me how Broner doesn't qualify, take a look at the inductees from the past few years or so and tell me if Broner's record RIGHT NOW is worse than all of them.

Think of it this way...name another person who has won titles in 4 different weight classes who DIDNT Make the Hall. Name a fighter with titles in 3 different classes who didn't make it.
            He took a pasting in the 11th round, barely threw any punches so he obviously wasn't A-Okay lol.

It's actually hard to find anyone worst than Broner who's in the Hall of Fame.

If Donald Curry, Michael Nunn, Genaro Hernandez, Dariusz Michalczewski aren't in the Hall of Fame I see no way Broner gets in, especially if he doesn't get in within the first two years of his eligibility.

Plus he's not well liked by the boxing community which plays a large part in subpar fighters like Broner getting into the HOF like Gatti and McGuigan. Sorry friend but there's 99% chance Broner doesn't have a spot.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
              He took a pasting in the 11th round, barely threw any punches so he obviously wasn't A-Okay lol.

It's actually hard to find anyone worst than Broner who's in the Hall of Fame.

If Donald Curry, Michael Nunn, Genaro Hernandez, Dariusz Michalczewski aren't in the Hall of Fame I see no way Broner gets in, especially if he doesn't get in within the first two years of his eligibility.

Plus he's not well liked by the boxing community which plays a large part in subpar fighters like Broner getting into the HOF like Gatti and McGuigan. Sorry friend but there's 99% chance Broner doesn't have a spot.
              A beating means just that, damage being inflicted.

The 11th may have been one-sided, but it was no beating.

As a matter of fact, I didn't see Mikey doing that to Broner in any round and I was rooting for Garcia.

As for whether Broner gets in the Hall, simply answer my question.

What 4 weight class champions do you know that didn't make it in?

And, while likeability does help, are you implying that those making the selection lack the integrity to acknowledge what has usually been a easy choice in the past simply because it is Broner?

Fancy that...

Comment

Mikey's power didn't carry up well enough. He should stay at 135 for a while.

Comment

My thoughts are that I am glad I didn't have to pay PPV for that, because AB didn't show up.

Comment

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
                    A beating means just that, damage being inflicted.

The 11th may have been one-sided, but it was no beating.

As a matter of fact, I didn't see Mikey doing that to Broner in any round and I was rooting for Garcia.

As for whether Broner gets in the Hall, simply answer my question.

What 4 weight class champions do you know that didn't make it in?

And, while likeability does help, are you implying that those making the selection lack the integrity to acknowledge what has usually been a easy choice in the past simply because it is Broner?

Fancy that...
                    There's a first time for everything and Broner will be that exception

And what I'm implying is that those who make the selection know that Broner's claim to being 4-Division Champion is built on a weak foundation and that he has struggled to beat any top level fighter. But sometimes the selectors let personal feelings cast a vote for fighters who aren't really worthy of the HOF like Barry McGuigan. But Broner is so unliked that I don't see enough voters casting him a pity ballot.

Broner would have a much stronger case if he was involved in FOTY type fights and while it's not too late I doubt he puts forth a career worthy of induction even based on the weak criteria of the boxing hall of fame. He really has no place in the history of boxing either. If Broner won at least 3 of his 4 world titles the way he won his belt at 135 I think he'll have a better shot at getting in.

I'll ask you this, do you think Ricky Burns is getting into the Hall of Fame?

Comment

Working...
                    X