Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billy Joe Saunders' route to the top is pretty darn impressive.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adrikitty View Post
    Aye - I really like the British boxing scene. They have great grassroots support - the boxers do.

Like their city/area will get behind them from the start of their careers.

Like at a live event with the local guy heading in, even early in his career in against journeymen, the local fans will still come out and cheer him.

I think some of it has to do with the football culture there - how each city has a beloved team they get behind. And a lot of the time, the boxers will come out in their colors, or have some of the players on their ring-walk team.

I think a lot of it has to do with WWII, and how towns had to come together to form patrols, and they had to ration, etc.. Then the post-war culture just really developed into a strong love and support of your community.

Americans have never really had that type of fear, or need to come together,because we've never been legitimately threatened in a war ON OUR OWN SOIL by another country.

This is also why they value the British title - despite it obviously not being as prestigious as a world title, it is still valued. The same with the Lonsdale belts.

It really is a very interesting, and unique boxing culture in Britain. It's still a niche sport there for the most part, just like it is in USA. They are just so much smaller of a country, it's much more noticeable when local guys become prospects, etc.

Heheh damn I didn't mean to end up writing a little thesis on post-war boxing in Britain.
    Good post, full respect for that!

Comment

At his best he's good but I always get the impression that's as good as he gets. Not much room for imorivemet. People say he lacks stamina but I doint think he csan train harder.

He takes a lay off and he's already dropped 2 levels

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
        He's a cracking boxer on the top of his game. If James DeGale wins his next fight, imagine him and Billy Joe facing eachother at Super Middleweight? That could be one for the ages!
        DeGale would rape him

Comment

He pretty much had the perfect development as a prospect. His attitude since he hit title level has been a massive shame.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
            At his best he's good but I always get the impression that's as good as he gets. Not much room for imorivemet. People say he lacks stamina but I doint think he csan train harder.

He takes a lay off and he's already dropped 2 levels
            He can definitely train harder in between fights.

He was like 200lbs before his latest camp.

Comment

BJS beat Ryder and got himself into the international picture and then wins over Eubank and Lee were good. However, BJS showed a lack of stamina against Eubank and a lack of ability to finish a guy off against Lee. The manner of victories can be questioned.

So not "darn impressive" but good. Saddest thing is, he is spending too long away from the ring, looked crap last time out and has avoided GGG at least 3 times.

Comment

Path of least resistance and all, ya know

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
                  He's a cracking boxer on the top of his game. If James DeGale wins his next fight, imagine him and Billy Joe facing eachother at Super Middleweight? That could be one for the ages!
                  Why fight Degale when he has GGG and Canelo right in front of him? Much bigger fights IMO

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                    Path of least resistance and all, ya know
                    Thats the thing though, before he got his title, his path wasnt that of least resistance at all.

Pryce
                    Fletcher*
                    Blackwell
                    Hall
                    O'Sullivan*
                    Ryder*
                    Blandamura*
                    Eubank Jnr*
                    Andy Lee

*undefeated when BJS faced them...

Good mix of young prospects/veterans and capped it off with a decent world level title holder. Not all the performances were great, but he got the W's.

Not all highly touted prospects from the UK have progression like this. Many are shepherded through the levels. 'Path of least resistance' as you say.

Since the Lee win he just seems to have lost his ambition and dedication.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X