Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn vs Roy Jones - 168 - Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigel Benn vs Roy Jones - 168 - Who wins?

I always thought it would be an interesting matchup that unfortunately never happened. How do you see it playing out?
    I myself can only see two possible outcomes. Either a RJJ UD over 12 rounds or a KO victory for Benn if he managed to connect on the prime roy.
    Last edited by awais; 04-30-2011, 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

I see one outcome.

Jones by late stoppage.

Comment

As much as I like Nigel (and I do, a lot), I just don't see him beating Roy unless he should happen to land a big one. A sudden ktfo is the only way Roy gets beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
        As much as I like Nigel (and I do, a lot), I just don't see him beating Roy unless he should happen to land a big one. A sudden ktfo is the only way Roy gets beaten.
        Benn's maniacal style tends to suggest he'd have more than your average puncher's chance don't you think?

Comment

Two of my all time favourites here and an exciting fight that should have happened but in truth Roy was at least a whole level above Nigel and believe me i rate Benn. Then again a fighter with the ferocity, heart and punch of a Nigel Benn is always in with a chance....

Still for me Roy mid to late rounds KO

BTW (I feel like i tell this all the time but for anyone who hasnt heard me on about it) i met Benn before and had a good chat with him and at one point i said it was a pitty a Roy Jones fight never came off for him and he replied that he was GLAD it never coz Jones would have killed him!

Still thats back when Roy was on top of the world and Benn retired (retired fighters tend to be more modest and lack the old competitive edge) worth mentioning tho

Comment

Originally posted by awais View Post
            Benn's maniacal style tends to suggest he'd have more than your average puncher's chance don't you think?
            Maybe a little more than that, but still not enuff to make him equal favorite. He had a good head movement and could fight off the ropes well, but Roy was just too dynamic and fast. He'd hit you with four or five shots before you knew what happened. I think actually Steve Collins would have a better chance because of his boxing style. The guy was not just tough as hell, he actually could box! Thats how he beat Eubank twice. Collins also had a small edge in height and that matters also. He'd bully Jones and force him into close-quarter exchanges and too many of those can wear Roy out. At least I think so...

Comment

Maybe a little more than that, but still not enuff to make him equal favorite. He had a good head movement and could fight off the ropes well, but Roy was just too dynamic and fast. He'd hit you with four or five shots before you knew what happened. I think actually Steve Collins would have a better chance because of his boxing style. The guy was not just tough as hell, he actually could box! Thats how he beat Eubank twice. Collins also had a small edge in height and that matters also. He'd bully Jones and force him into close-quarter exchanges and too many of those can wear Roy out. At least I think so...
              I think Roy spanks em both but Benn had a better chance to win due to his huge punch and ferocity while Collins would give Roy a harder nights work but his chances of winning would be less if that makes sense! Just my take

Comment

Yeah Collins might have given Roy more trouble, great Chin. ALso beat Benn 2X, but Benn may have been done by then?

Benn himself made that quote about only having the first few rounds to try to KO Jones. ANd Benn's fight with Watson--an ATG fight--showed that if you weathered Benn's all out initial attack, he gassed and was KOed.

Comment

true but i still believe benn would have been roys most dangerous test and one he should have had on his resume win or lose. its missed opportunities like this that help to put rjj's status in all time great standings into question

Comment

That would have been probably one of the toughest fights of Roy's career. Looking back Jones had a kinda "tyson effect". A lot of guys lost before they ever entered the ring. The guys Roy lost to during his drop from the top had this in common " they werent scared and showed little respect for his antics". I think Benn would have been that type of opponent back then. I see Benn lettinng his hands go and hurtinng Roy a few time but Roy survives for a decision. His chances are much better than a "punchers chance". One thing can be said about early on is that he didnt face many if any strong, accurate, free swingers. Benn was all those things with a killer instinct and I think Roy saw the danger in that even near his prime. I'd pay to get that time frame back.

Comment

Working...
                    X