• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tennesseeboy View Post
    i meant staten island
    yea i think so..........

Comment

Uhh...Atlas admitted in his book that he did this and bragged about it frequently. The fight was under British boxing rules which had banned smelling salts as well...didnt stop Dundee and Ali from using them...and thats on video tape prominently. Sonny Liston used to put blinding substances on his gloves...somehow back then this kind of stuff was called crafty...now a fighter is called a cheater and people say he should be banned for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Sting Ray View Post
        I know that the glove slitting controversy after Ali got knocked down by Cooper was controversial but there has never been any proof. I was shocked when Teddy Atlas just called Angelo Dundee a "cheater" right before that minimum weight fight. This man, Atlas, needs to be held to higher levels of announcing ethics.
        Read Dundee and Bert Sugar's book
        "My View from the Corner: A Life in Boxing" page 82-83

Comment

I heard an interview where Dundee himself explained what happened.

Basically Clay's glove had a minor rift after the third round. Dundee then aggrevated it by pulling the glove so it split some more and then they had to change it.

Of course it is now in the historybooks, but the extra minutes Clay got from having to change his glove helped him recover from the heavy KD he had just suffered.

Comment

Typicall for Atlas to try and discredit Ali's victory jsut because Ali is a white European boxer.

Comment

Ali, then Clay, only got a couple of extra seconds to recover.

Comment

Every trainer cheats for his fighter. Other than the glove thing I remember reading one of his books talking about slipping smelling salts to Ali in the corner by him sticking his ass as far out as he can(no pun intended), so the ref couldn't see. I believe the smelling salts were used in one of the Frazier bouts(been years since I read, so I can't remember). Whether it's smelling salts, plaster, taking more time during rounds, spilling water in the corner, a trainer always looks out for his fighters best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Die Antwoord View Post
                  Uhh...Atlas admitted in his book that he did this and bragged about it frequently. The fight was under British boxing rules which had banned smelling salts as well...didnt stop Dundee and Ali from using them...and thats on video tape prominently. Sonny Liston used to put blinding substances on his gloves...somehow back then this kind of stuff was called crafty...now a fighter is called a cheater and people say he should be banned for life.
                  Was it Liston that layered his glove with a blinding substance? I remember reading from the same book(Dundee and Sugars) that during one of those fights Ali had complained about his eye for a good round or so and boxed pretty much blind. Couldn't remember the fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                    Was it Liston that layered his glove with a blinding substance? I remember reading from the same book(Dundee and Sugars) that during one of those fights Ali had complained about his eye for a good round or so and boxed pretty much blind. Couldn't remember the fight though.
                    yep, and Ali claimed later on that before he fought Foreman a itialian american gangster offered him a substance to rub on his gloves if he got in trouble in the Foreman fight which would temporairly blind Foreman, and that same guy was in Liston's corner when Ali fought him. (Ali didnt use it)

Ive no idea what so ever if thats true or not, but Ali did say it.

Comment

I'm a fan of cheating. especialy when they just out right get away with it. It's one thing to rabbit punch...it's a completely different games to rabbit punch and not get called for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X