No announcement yet.

Dealing with a straight edge lifestyle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eman-resu View Post
    no I mean the people that make it their life or yell it from the rooftops, I mean I think it's stupid to do too much but it's dumb to demonize the people, they can do whatever the **** they want with their own life
    have you honestly ever met anyone like that? really?

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post
      have you honestly ever met anyone like that? really?
      I've met some. Funny thing is, they were usually the ones who were back to smoking blunts and getting wasted six months later.

I see you're from Albany. I used to go to Syracuse for months at a time, back when it was the "straight edge capital" in the early 90'ies. I've been to Albany for shows a couple of times. Rough town for it's size...

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
        I've met some. Funny thing is, they were usually the ones who were back to smoking blunts and getting wasted six months later.

I see you're from Albany. I used to go to Syracuse for months at a time, back when it was the "straight edge capital" in the early 90'ies. I've been to Albany for shows a couple of times. Rough town for it's size...
        i was in syracuse recently to see a show. i can say with confidence the edge has not gone dull.

there was a trainer with syracuse golden gloves at an amateur show in troy who had a straight edge tattoo. i wanted to talk to the dude, but i ended up not getting matched up, and was bummed, and just sort of forgot. any idea who that is?

Comment

just say no and thats final or say your the driver for the night

Comment

Im going to college next year and training for the gold gloves at the same time, i plan on enjoying myself in college which includes getting wasted but i wont smoke.

If things start to slip ill compromise or stop but while im in college i plan on havin a great time.

Comment

the thread's title is misleading, "dealing" with a straight edge lifestyle? whats to deal about it. i can understand someone going through tough times, and personal problems, but having a straight edge lifestyle is far from anything to burden with, you're actually doing something good for yourself.

the person above seems to know how when to say no more, and that is all that draws the line between being under control, and being controlled. as long as you know your limits, enjoy what ever you do, smoke, drink, party even though those things don't help you become a better athlete in my perspective, but life is short and yeah its good to experience new and fun things, but handle your business first of all, and do what it takes. If you want to be golden gloves champ and it means to be in the gym everyday, training hard, living a good healthy lifestyle, well you gotta live that lifestyle if you want to accomplish something worthwhile.

i go to college, and yes parties are abundant, and so is drinking, which i both do & i know my limitations but i put my education and boxing in front of anything else. i'm always busy doing something, as long as you stay busy, nothing will distract you. my old trainer told me this everyday until he left, "Stay busy, a busy man always wins. you see this, this is my life. (shows me his gloves)."

Comment

**** peer pressure. I know what you are on about but nowadays I just prefer the company of women, and preferrably ones that I can get naked. You can always drop em some line that you box or play football and they never mind. Most lads are sheep, and most of them are Joey's too. I just hang out with a few pro's who also do not drink or smoke weed alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
                  Yeah I have alienated a few friends but I had to do it to break away from the old lifestyle, cant get away with the designated driver thing here as everyone just takes taxis they are so cheap,
                  **** em. I've cut loose tons of friends that I had. Many were childhood friends that I was real close with. They are losers though and only brought me down. My school had a lot of low income areas so I was always around a crowd of people who were into partying, drugs, fighting etc. Some were my friends, some weren't. After high school I realized I needed to cut these people loose & I did. I took a couple years before everyone got the message but I'm much better off.

Comment

Its ok to have the odd beer now and again, got wasted last night but that was only this month I been so wasted. (drink maybe 2 times every 2 weeks)

Comment

Getting wasted is knows as binge drinking as is even worse than drinking same amount of units over a prolonged period. The NHS are always making leaflets about it. 2 times a fortnight is quite alot. Beers are for bums! drink JD on payday and champagne after a fight. Nothing else, at any other time or you will fight like a bum. Trust me, I seen it happen to the most talented people.

Comment

Working...
                      X