Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime De La Hoya would wipe out this whole crop of welterweights (EASY)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post
    I was a big fan of Oscar he was a real fighting pit bull behind the glamor boy image, Manny Stewart said he was a straight up killer in the ring, I think you nailed it with " he could beat them all but never run the table ", fits ODH perfectly .
    “May the best man win” was always a puzzling statement when I watched as a kid. It seemed redundant. But then as u watch u understand that’s the most u can hope for and even then “The best man” was a matter of opinion. I was a fan of watching Oscar fight but rarely rooted for him. But I’d never have wanted to see him get screwed over even against my favourite fighter. Nobody won the fight of the millennium in my opinion. But I appreciate Oscar more and more as time goes by. He was a pittbull like you said. Deserves to be on boxing’s Mount Rushmore.

Comment

There's no shame in losing to a prime ODLH.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomasexual View Post
        There's no shame in losing to a prime ODLH.
        ODLH one of my favorite fighters.

Then Hurricane Manny came thru and retired that foo.
        Oscar even said, PAC was his toughest fight to date.

Manny was something else!

Comment

De La Hoya lost to Mosley twice, who outside of lightweight wasn’t a great fighter. While still a great fighter De Le Hoya was basically a one handed fighter for most of his career. Jab left hook. His right hand was very average at best. Still a great fighter though. I think Spence and Crawford would give him good fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandman View Post
            oscar vs spence : dlh by KO in 10

oscar vs porter : dlh by KO in 5

oscar vs crawford : dlh by UD

these new crop of welters wouldn't trouble the golden boy AT ALL.

EASY WORK
            Best version of delahoya can compete even with ATG welters.
            He just had the size reach chin speed power jab and boxing skills to be competitive with anyone — or atleast at his best.

Crawford would probably be the toughest stylistically... since he is a bit slickamong the others.
            but dude is also small.. and hasn’t proven much at welter.

I see oscar going toe-to-toe with spence... and i have faith in his chin and power.

I also see him hurting porter with that left hook.

Comment

Agreed. Prime DLH would be the man in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
                Yeah, Oscar was all business in the ring. No weaknesses. He was very efficient and never as sloppy as a lot of things I see now. He always tucked in his chin and pushed all night. I really like Crawford and I think he’d be trouble for anyone. But yeah we haven’t seen him in touch or really chin checked. Trinidad had his flaws but sum of his best combos are prettier than anything I see today. I know it’s easy to look back with rose coloured glasses. Still I don’t think anyone is clamouring to copy the style of todays welters.
                One of the nicest counters I've ever seen is Trinidad slipping a jab to his left side and countering with a vicious left hook. He almost finished Vargas in Rd. 1 with it... a thing of beauty.

Oscar was a monster at 147 in his prime. I think the best fighters at 147 back then are better than the best fighters at welter now.

Oscar, Quartey, Trinidad all at their prime

Whitaker not far from his prime (circa 97, 98)

and then you had guys in the tier just below like Oba Carr.

Comment

Originally posted by strykr619 View Post
                  The Oscar that fought Maywaether wasn't totally shot yet thou.
                  He was pretty much shot before he fought Hopkins I think. I don't think he deserved the nod against Sturm for sure and he's acknowledged he was on the sniff at least as far back as 2007 when he fought Floyd..

Oscar was an elite fighter for sure but I think folk sometimes get carried away, he wasn't that much better than his contemporaries and I've no objective reason to think the current crop are significantly worse... I'm sure he'd slot in near the top of the field, but if he had to run the gauntlet of Spence, Crawford and Porter without any favourable scoring it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him run close or even take an L.

Comment

Originally posted by LZBoxing View Post
                    One of the nicest counters I've ever seen is Trinidad slipping a jab to his left side and countering with a vicious left hook. He almost finished Vargas in Rd. 1 with it... a thing of beauty.

Oscar was a monster at 147 in his prime. I think the best fighters at 147 back then are better than the best fighters at welter now.

Oscar, Quartey, Trinidad all at their prime

Whitaker not far from his prime (circa 97, 98)

and then you had guys in the tier just below like Oba Carr.
                    Well said. Tito was a family favourite. I enjoyed the days when fighters held belts in their early 20s. Tito was always shaky on his feet, while his punching was composed. His vulnerability added to his excitement. David Lemieux comes to mind when I think of someone with fast hands and big power, but with roller skate feet. Footwork is the first thing I notice on a fighter. Bud or Manny have the best at 147 as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                      This is a weak era, I agree.

Lmao. Who gives a F about 147 now that HW is back. As soon as Pacquiao retires it will be hard to care about fights at 147 and I'm a Crawford fan.
                      Yeah, exactly, HWs though!

Comment

Working...
                      X