Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lead left hooks,how do you stop from telegraphing it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's not a real leading punch. you can throw it first but you need to have set it up to some extent

Comment

I think it comes down to technique. I have trained with a lots of different guys, and almost all of them a dead sure their different ways of left hooking is spot on. If you go the traditional way of winding up and finishing with your heel up turning your fist over, you probably have no chance. If you throw it the way slicker boxers do like Floyd, more of a check hook type of motion, you can do it quite easily with a few options to be safe after also. 1) how you develop power, not by opening up, but by pivoting in a sense, this means you dont need to telegraph, all you have to do is get your hand roughly in position and see how quick your feet go.

Comment

You obviously cannot afford to telegraph the punch at all, and that is what you are doing if you are dipping to your left or putting weight onto that foot. If you understand range and can judge distance, you can do it real smooth. Slide your right foot a couple inches directly to the right and then throw your hook.
        That little slide gives you a place to turn your weight without having to pivot the whole front side of your body. You don't make any movement with your arm or shoulder that indicates you are going to throw a hook. The whole of the "set-up" is sliding the right foot over an inch or two.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
          You obviously cannot afford to telegraph the punch at all, and that is what you are doing if you are dipping to your left or putting weight onto that foot. If you understand range and can judge distance, you can do it real smooth. Slide your right foot a couple inches directly to the right and then throw your hook.
          That little slide gives you a place to turn your weight without having to pivot the whole front side of your body. You don't make any movement with your arm or shoulder that indicates you are going to throw a hook. The whole of the "set-up" is sliding the right foot over an inch or two.
          Interesting stuff - never ever thought about doing this.

Good post.

Comment

ghfhhhhhhh

Comment

bump... great thread.

Comment

don't dip to your left before throwing, you'll get less hip rotation but its less obvious and still has enough power behind it if you're fast enough with it.

Comment

When you lead, you lead. It doesn't matter whether you are inside or outside. lol! Or perhaps I got all wrong because English is my 3rd language.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                    i usually throw it off a feint.
                    Probably one of the most effective ways for those who lack PRIME RJ speed.... aka all of us.

Comment

I think there are some questions need to be asked first.
                      E.g
                      1. What range are we talking about? Close range or from the distance?
                      2. Is it power left hook lead or just to set up a power right cross?
                      3. Are you asking the best way to lead left hook/right cross you think improves your hitting %?

I think Larryx answered his own question at the beginning anyway. And that is to throw it Off Rhthym. In saying that, you should throw your power leads in Off Rhythym (with speed) anyway.

There isn't any formula which gurantee the hitting % although he didn't mention hitting %. If you do please share. I'm only assuming. There are few technical things you can adjust to reduce telegraphs but in saying this, if you attempt to do this from an open fighting distance. No feintings, no trying to sneak up the distance and hope to surprise before been detected. Just straight left hook, right hand lead. A right cross or a stiff straight jab will always going to beat a left hook anyway, regardless of how fast you are. Assuming the striker and the defender has equal reach, speed, reflexes and abilities to read punches. It will still be easily avoided. You don't need to have PHD in mathematics to understand this

Comment

Working...
                      X