No announcement yet.

sparring against noobs who go all out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sparring against noobs who go all out

was put in the ring against a new kid who had horrible technique. The coach knew I was more experienced and told me to go light on him so I thought I'd just work on my defense. Then every time I landed a cross through his guard this guy would go full ****** and wing haymakers. Afterwards his friend was telling him that he was winning.

How do you deal with over zealous noobs in sparring? should I match his intensity and go in for the kill?

"should I match his intensity and go in for the kill?"

yes. don't be a biatchh. also don't listen to your coach like he is your daddy....

this way the n00b will learn as well...

Comment

everyone who has sparred will probably have experienced this

what worked for me in the past was catching them off balance by timing them with a stiff jab...it's the most embarrassing punch they can get hit with

if this doesn't work try getting inside with shorter punches...it should at least be a little demotivating for them

Comment

Had it a couple of times, just hit them with straight shots and match their intensity until they calm the **** down.

Comment

just outbox them. bust them up with stiff jabs and hard bodyshots when they get wild and they will learn quickly. you can knock them out but only with a bodyshot or by making them quit, dont knock them cold.

dont let them get away with their bull**** either, like i said outbox them and make them pay for being sloppy. show them that timing, distancing, thinking and proper technique beats brute force and aggression every time.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLaHoya1fan View Post
            was put in the ring against a new kid who had horrible technique. The coach knew I was more experienced and told me to go light on him so I thought I'd just work on my defense. Then every time I landed a cross through his guard this guy would go full ****** and wing haymakers. Afterwards his friend was telling him that he was winning.

How do you deal with over zealous noobs in sparring? should I match his intensity and go in for the kill?

There is nothing wrong with having a quick chat with the guy you are about to spar beforehand. You shouldn't want to dent a novice's confidence too much in sparring or precious few will end up taking up the sport. But you're the mug if the novice comes away thinking or worse saying that they got the better of you.

There is nothing wrong with saying something like 'lets just take it easy and work on technique, I won't throw anything heavy unless you do matey'......

Comment

Solar plex, kidneys, under the heart! Use judgement as to power but thats what I've always done. When a green kid gets hit and comes back throwing its actually a good thing. He has to learn how to act while sparring. So you hurt the body a little and explan that he needs to "control" himself! Ray

Comment

Just say 'bro, lets go 75% for this I wanna work on my defense.'

Comment

Outbox him and then have a word with him after if need be. Show him that its not all about wild aggression more about controlling your self and using your head and not wasting energy/leaving yourself open to easy counters. Show him how to box, put on a clinic.

Comment

I go for the kill. Why wouldn't you? my coach tells me the same against newbie's but when they go all out then it's fair game.
                    Last edited by TRTboy; 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X