Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua can beat Wilder. How does he avoid getting knocked out though?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
    Brezeale the walking punch-bag caught and hurt Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanofreason View Post
      Wilder is much much faster than AJ.
      Wilder is 33 he needs to make the fight with Joshua as quickly as possible before his speed declines.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        One thing ill also say is Wilder hasn't fought many guys where there are consequences for missing big punches...with Joshua there will certainly be consequences
        He faced exactly that type of fighter in Luis Ortiz though. An awkward southpaw who has dynamite in his left hand.

Joshua has huge power himself, but here's the difference; Deontay is MUCH faster and explosive. I just don't see him timing a picture perfect counter as Deontay marches in.

For Joshua to win, he's going to have to move like crazy. Just like Fury did. And he is simply not that kind of fighter.

If Deontay can back him up early, he's going to get touched. And I really don't think he wants to EXCHANGE with Wilder.

If he can box effectively for 12 rds off his back foot, he might be able to pull it off. But we've never seen that from Joshua before, now have we?

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
          Defensively, Joshua is no Fury. Can he win a kill or be killed fight against Wilder?

Hmmm...........
          - -Easy win for AJ as long as he ain't a mammoth.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyJonesJrp4pno1 View Post
            Wilder is 33 he needs to make the fight with Joshua as quickly as possible before his speed declines.
            I don't see his athleticism declining any time soon

Comment

I shouldn't give away the game plan but Joshua's only chance of defeating Deontay Wilder is by collapsing the pocket. He has to force Wilder into fighting him on the inside in order to smother his power.

In addition, he has to fight off the front foot by constantly leaning on and moving Wilder backwards; So he can land his right uppercuts and body shots.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                Joshua needs to check mate Wilder first. To best a guy with Wilder's power, you need to have a very strong mental game first and foremost, which Joshua does, hes extremely cool headed and I don't think he will be hesitant.
                I think he would be hesitant. He seemed to be very hesitant of Parker for some reason, probably because he has decent hand speed and decent power.

I think he would be incredibly hesitant v Wilder, and probably vice versa in a way.

Joshua isn't Fury, he can't move like him and doesn't have the ring IQ. He's still going to be what he is, a pretty stiff, upright, orthodox fighter, which is perfect for Wilder really.

Joshua's chance is to basically stop Wilder before Wilder stops him, he hasn't got a style to evade Wilder for too long. People are suggesting AJ smother him and things like that, but that isn't AJ's style. You can't go too far away from what you do well, because your whole game will drop a few levels.

Comment

AJ the robot will not avoid that right hand.. It will land. hes gonna collapse. the question is will he get up?

Comment

This probably goes against a lot of opinions I'm sure, but from watching quite a few of Wilders past fights, a couple things caught my attn the most.
                    Its common knowledge where the power comes from, and its always mentioned as "x needs to avoid his right hand". For a southpaw like Ortiz, it was more of a natural movement to circle out and away creating more distance being hit with a bomb.
                    My gameplan for success would consist of....
                    #1pressuring Wilder from the opening bell
                    #2 utilize good head movement and focus on keeping the hands up
                    #3 AVOID THE LEFT HAND and step to his right.

1 and 2 is a given so I'll explain #3 more. Many of Wilders KO punch has followed a similar pattern and his power is IMO generated specifically from his length and athleticism to "windmill" it to generate a high velocity towards the target. And the reason I say avoid the left is that it occured to me that not only is his left used for his jab, but he uses it as his range finder for his right and his good handspeed enables him to follow his left almost simultaneously with his right power swing shot. Thats the 2 secs. of being perfect I believe he mentioned. When he swings power shots only with his right and without the left lead, he seems very off with his range. He did exactly the same with breazeale. Playback Breazeale, Spilka, Duhaupas, Liakhovic, Harrison, Firtha, Molina the list goes on. His lead left is literally still within inches from the opponents head when he throws and connects with the right. Shorten the distance from his right hand and he loses the positioning to generate his usual KO shot velocity and avoid letting him use his left as a guide for his right hand in my opinion can help nullify his bread and butter.

The other thing that got my attn was that quite a number of his KO were assisted by punches towards the back of the head. I dont think it was intentional then it was more a result of his length and windmill swing plane.

Comment

Joshua must fight like he did against Klitscko. Kill or be killed. There will be a KO in this fight and a rematch then.

Comment

Working...
                      X