Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sets elite boxers apart from everyone else?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sets elite boxers apart from everyone else?

I see most of the people in my gym doing and practicing the same things day after day (jumping rope, shadow boxing, heavy bag, occasional sparring etc). Since everyone practices the exact same things, I was wondering how do you become a better boxer than someone doing the exact same things as you?

Is it all about adapting to different styles of fighting in the ring so that you can perform well against anyone you are up against? I feel like making adjustments in the ring and adapting to different styles while fighting is what sets elite boxers apart. It seems a lot more to do with strategy and wits.
    what do you guys think?

Short answer
    Peds

Comment

The training, the skill, but over all those things, the mentality.

Comment

Take a look at who does all of those "things" in the gym the "best"!
        Chances are he's the best boxer in the gym also.
        Boxing is a lot of repetition so
        the things you practice become second nature to you.

What makes high skills and talents become ATG is the ability to dominate.
        To be able to come back from being dropped and hurt and then win!
        Training is the preparation for the physical encounter.
        The physical encounter is usually won by the strongest will.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Take a look at who does all of those "things" in the gym the "best"!
          Chances are he's the best boxer in the gym also.
          Boxing is a lot of repetition so
          the things you practice become second nature to you.

What makes high skills and talents become ATG is the ability to dominate.
          To be able to come back from being dropped and hurt and then win!
          Training is the preparation for the physical encounter.
          The physical encounter is usually won by the strongest will.
          I like this post

Comment

As ray said, boxing is a highly repetitious sport.

It's one thing to learn technique, it's another thing to be able to do it at the drop of a dime without even thinking about it.

I always said, i wasn't actually good until I did things in the ring without knowing I was going to do them. When my hands started moving by themselves and finding openings is when I knew for sure I was getting good.

Thats why all of the best fighters are all guys who have done it since they were children.

Comment

Natural talent. A drive to be successful & to be better that most can't understand let alone attempt. A love of training. A high level of competitiveness. Resilient to serious or chronic injuries.

Comment

either you can fight or you cant, training only helps so much once youve got the basics in place.

Comment

The guy that works the hardest. The more work you put in the more you get out. Simple as that.

There is no secret. The only thing Marciano had when he started was a good punch and he rarely could land it too. Don't let people tell you that some people are just born good boxers. That's bs. If two guys put in the same amount of work and started from scratch they both would end up being around the same level. Sugar Ray Leonard put in tons of work. Mayweather did the same thing, anytime you hear about his childhood he was always in the gym.

Boxing is a highly coordinated sport. It can be trained. It isn't innate. There are countless champions in history who couldn't scrap a lick at first but eventually started to get it.

No trainer knows 100% about boxing. One trainer might know 90% and another might know that 10% that's missing. Great trainers make great fighters. You can tell a great trainer because they have made fighters from the ground up good. Freddie Roach is an example of a trainer who lets other guys do all of the heavy lifting and then comes up and polishes off an already great fighter. He did great things with Pac and Cotto but I just don't think he could make a great fighter from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                  X