Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-weight champs vs. Undisputed champs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-weight champs vs. Undisputed champs?

And for the sake of the thread, lets say multi-division= 2-4 weight classes. I could think of a few current day multi division champs but the last undisputed (WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO) champ boxing had was B-Hop.

So with that said, in your honest opinion, in present day boxing, which should be respected more? & why??

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    And for the sake of the thread, lets say multi-division= 2-4 weight classes. I could think of a few current day multi division champs but the last undisputed (WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO) champ boxing had was B-Hop.

So with that said, in your honest opinion, in present day boxing, which should be respected more? & why??
    I don't know that one is better than the other. I would base it on who you fought while achieving the goal.
    Last edited by The Big Dunn; 07-06-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Who did you fight to get the title belts? RESUME!!!!

Comment

Obviously depends on who either fighter is beating.

And we need to stop giving fighters credit for moving up when they only do so because they have grown too big for smaller divisions. Moving up divisions is not praiseworthy automatically.

Comment

It all depends on who you fought.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Obviously depends on who either fighter is beating.

And we need to stop giving fighters credit for moving up when they only do so because they have grown too big for smaller divisions. Moving up divisions is not praiseworthy automatically.
            Good point. there is a huge difference between what Hank Armstrong did and Adrien Broner or ODH or Duran "moving up".

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post

Well there are some exceptions, but as a general rule, I see an undisputed champion as the top of the food chain. While being a multi division champion is impressive, you dont get bonus points for outgrowing a division and not disposing of the other champions in your weight class. Now if we are talking guys jumping to a weight class they are obviously too small for and facing a top notch champion, that is huge in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                Good point. there is a huge difference between what Hank Armstrong did and Adrien Broner or ODH or Duran "moving up".
                Oscar eventually moving up to 154 and 160, that's worth praising. He took risks against bigger fighters that he didn't have to. Oscar moving up to 140 and 147 because he was monstrous for lower weights? Not so much.

Yet it's always looked at as somehow more courageous to move up than stay in one division, when most fighters move up because they have no choice. Having the discipline to stay in one division making weight is just as praiseworthy as the guys who can't stay in shape and move up because of that.

Comment

Well IMO it kind of depend on who they fought. But in todays boxing if a multi weight champ was fighting an undisputed champ, id favor the undisputed champ.

With each division having so many titles in them its easier to grab a title and move up. Look at Broner he was 4 weight champ when he went up against Porter who wasnt undisputed and lost.

To get the undisputed title to your name pretty much means you beat all other champs in the division and created just one champion for that division.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                    Well there are some exceptions, but as a general rule, I see an undisputed champion as the top of the food chain. While being a multi division champion is impressive, you dont get bonus points for outgrowing a division and not disposing of the other champions in your weight class. Now if we are talking guys jumping to a weight class they are obviously too small for and facing a top notch champion, that is huge in my book.
                    So would you agree that Shane jumping up to WW from LW to beat Oscar was bigger than B-Hop beating Oscar for the 4th belt?

Comment

Working...
                    X