No announcement yet.

The Official Common Sense Champions By Division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    I think Kovalev is better but I don't think you can call him the man until Stevenson is dealt with.

Golovkin perhaps but event that is shaky
    I would rather these fighters prove their superiority in the ring. I actually want to see GGG beat Jacobs/Quillin and Lee/Saunders, and see Kovalev beat Stevenson.

Comment

http://www.tbrb.org/all-rankings/

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
        I would rather these fighters prove their superiority in the ring. I actually want to see GGG beat Jacobs/Quillin and Lee/Saunders, and see Kovalev beat Stevenson.
        That is pretty much how I feel, I can't reward Kovalev for that mess.

Golovkin is just a maybe, I could see how Murray, Gaele, Rubio and Lemiuex might equal being the man in a rather suspect division otherwise.

I think beating Stevenson is meaningful, Jacobs/Quillin and Lee/Saunders I don't feel near as strongly about.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
          I would love that but it's not realistic. If there was 1 belt per division there would be no way Stevenson would still be champion right now without fighting the #1 contender.

Lineal champions are fictitous because they aren't governed by any rules. The lineal champion has no mandatories. You can keep that status for 5 years by fighting bums.

It's not equivalent to the old days of 1 champion because that champion had to fight his mandatories.

Comment

Originally posted by TheThirdEye View Post

The fight is by far the most anticipated in the 175-pound weight class, but the chances that it comes off this fall as many hoped were greatly diminished when Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, Kovalev's promoter, decided against participating in a WBC-mandated purse bid on Friday in Mexico City.
            The WBC, whose belt Stevenson holds, made the very unusual move of making the winner of the Kovalev-Jean Pascal fight on March 14, which Kovalev won by eighth-round knockout, the mandatory challenger for Stevenson.
            Sanctioning bodies do not rank other organizations' titleholders, but WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said he wanted to see the fight happen for the good of boxing and made the move, which was music to Kovalev's ears because he has been chasing Stevenson for more than a year. Last year, Main Events thought they had a deal only to watch as Stevenson, under the guidance of adviser Al Haymon, went in another direction and got crushed for it in the court of public opinion.
            But after Stevenson (26-1, 21 KOs), 37, of Montreal, retained the title by one-sided decision against Sakio Bika on April 4, he and promoter Yvon Michel, whom Kovalev and Duva had accused of ducking the fight, professed their desire to make the match, be it to negotiate terms or let it go to a purse bid, where the promoter with the biggest offer would win the promotional rights.
            Then Duva announced that she would not participate in the bidding process, which came as a surprise considering how much she dogged Stevenson for supposedly avoiding the fight.
            Duva, the one who initially suggested that the WBC make Kovalev the mandatory at the organization's annual convention late last year, said that while she and Kovalev very much want to make the fight, Kovalev is under exclusive contract to HBO, which would not allow him to fight on another network. Stevenson is backed by Haymon, who could bankroll a big bid by Michel and put the fight on Showtime or one of the networks on which his Premier Boxing Champions series appears, such as NBC, CBS or ESPN, whose deal begins in July.
            1) 03/14/2015 Duva says Kovalev just released from an HBO exclusivity contract after the Jean Pascal fight.
            2) 04/17/2015 Duva says Kovalev just sign a new contract, when the WBC ordered the purse bid. (lies)
            3) 05/13/2015 Duva says on twitter, Kovalev never re-sign any contract, but Kovalev was still under an exclusivity arrangement with HBO. (excuses)
            4) 05/18/2015 Duva says Kovalev just sign up a new contract with HBO which garanty him 1 fight each 3 months.
            Not to mention that team Kovalev also rejected the secondary WBC purse bid, on 05/29/2015.

On Aug 16, 2015, in an interview with Steve Kim, Kathy Duva said:
            The shame of this is that if the [WBC] purse bid had happened when it was supposed to, we would be in a position to bid. But sadly, they pushed it and that’s too bad, I feel we could do it but we couldn’t do it [then].
            - And right before the 3rd purse bid at the 2015 WBC convention, held this november.
            On Oct 20, 2015, in an interview with Steve Kim, Kathy Duva said:
            “if Kovalev fights Ward at the end of next year, which is starting to look like it’s very possible, who’s going to remember Adonis Stevenson after that? Who’s gonna care? What are they gonna say? Sergey’s ducking Stevenson by fighting Andre Ward?

Main Events, Kathy Duva, Egis Klimas & Sergey Kovalev, are one happy bunch of liars full of ish...
            Kovalev must fight Stevenson for the Undisputed title, otherwise his prosthetic balls are silicone based.

Last edited by TheThirdEye; 11-18-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X