No announcement yet.

Boxing Is Dead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time I've heard this over the years I'd be talking to Floyd on my money phone right now.
    I've followed the sport for 20 years.. I can honestly say I don't recall it being where it is now ever before. It will never die but it becomes more and more irrelevant as the years go by and with more competition from newer and better entertainment sources. The reality is there are better options nowadays for the current consumer. Boxing is way too inconsistent to have a real grasp on the population.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
      I've followed the sport for 20 years.. I can honestly say I don't recall it being where it is now ever before. It will never die but it becomes more and more irrelevant as the years go by and with more competition from newer and better entertainment sources. The reality is there are better options nowadays for the current consumer. Boxing is way too inconsistent to have a real grasp on the population.
      I would agree with almost all of this.

And yea I think boxing will need to make some moves that they will make, sooner or later, as it becomes a smaller and smaller niche sport until it does. That said fighting is some super basic **** that will always be popular if presented in a smart way & no doubt boxing has been pushed on the public for the last several decades in a way that was short sighted and dumb, one could suggest. And I say this from the US side of things cuz as we all see boxing is actually getting bigger than ever right now in various parts of the globe, which is why this thread probably sounds bat**** crazy to some people reading it.

So while you & I could debate that right now is the worst time we've seen boxing in lets not forget somewhat organized boxing (and I use "somewhat organized" very loosely) has been around since the 1700's & James Figg was the self proclaimed bare knuckle champion of the world. Thus that hardly holds any meaning in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Crappy UFC is slowly taking over, which is sad. I also think it's a lack of advertising for big fights. Ward-Kovalev is a fight between two top fighters in the world and there is barely any talk about it. Say what you want about GGG-Brook but when casuals look at the records, they will see two undefeated fighters which should sell and it's not being talked about.

Maybe promoters should figure out a way to advertise better instead of worrying about their undefeated records

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
          Agreed.

Boxing has ALWAYS had issues with matchmaking, promoting, etc. But right now, it's as bad as I can ever remember it. It basically takes an act of congress now to get top guys to fight each other.

We got:
          Pac taking tune up fights for millions and millions.
          Canelo and GGG unable/unwilling to come to an agreement
          Kov/Ward about to fall apart for who knows what reason.

As a boxing fan, It's just depressing. Casuals have just stopped caring completely.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
            Nothing is happening? Huh?

In June and July, we had two Fight of the Year candidates - Thurman-Porter and Santa Cruz-Frampton - which features top guy vs. top guy, the best fighting the best.

Scheduled within the next six months:
            Ward-Kovalev
            Golovkin-Brook
            Santa Cruz-Frampton 2
            Thurman-Porter 2 or Thurman vs. Danny Garcia
            Mares-Cuellar
            Gary Russell vs. Lee Selby

Plus future superstar Anthony Joshua and the return of Mikey Garcia.
            That is really nothing to get excited about over the course of 6 months. Half a year, and thats what you're bragging about? Lmao

Comment

Like a hopeless bum, I keep watching, thinking any day now boxing will pick back up again so I can tell my friends to join me in regularly scheduled and fairly-matched fights. Boxing is a s s r a p i n g us worse than Amber Heard is a s s r a p i n g ol' Depp in court.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
                Nothing is happening? Huh?

In June and July, we had two Fight of the Year candidates - Thurman-Porter and Santa Cruz-Frampton - which features top guy vs. top guy, the best fighting the best.

Scheduled within the next six months:
                Ward-Kovalev
                Golovkin-Brook
                Santa Cruz-Frampton 2
                Thurman-Porter 2 or Thurman vs. Danny Garcia
                Mares-Cuellar
                Gary Russell vs. Lee Selby

Plus future superstar Anthony Joshua and the return of Mikey Garcia.
                There's one top tier fight in that list that people might actually care about and it's doubtful that it will even happen.

Comment

Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
                  I wanna know what it means...
                  men going their own way I think, men who stand up to feminism and the wicked ways of women, they are all on youtube

Comment

seems like the biggest issue is there is no governing body, just a bunch of promoters doing what they will, fighting in house fights only, protecting fighters, making a bunch of money, black balling fighters. its a cut throat business in one of the most cut throat times in history

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                      seems like the biggest issue is there is no governing body, just a bunch of promoters doing what they will, fighting in house fights only, protecting fighters, making a bunch of money, black balling fighters. its a cut throat business in one of the most cut throat times in history
                      Agreed. Too much protection which leads to top guys fighting bums or over the hill fighters. We need more fights like Porter-Thurman. Two top guys going at it in the division.

There needs to be a set of rules that makes top fighters fight other top fighters or gtfo

Comment

Working...
                      X