Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does GGG generate so much power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GGG has perfect footwork, he reminds me of Mike Tyson a lot.

People always talked about Mike Tyson's power. But no one ever mentioned his footwork or technique.

Perfect footwork/technique, will generate power.

These guys are also incredibly accurate, something that has become very underrated in training camps is accuracy training. All the power in the world doesn't matter when you swing your fist around like a wild neandrathal.

Comment

Yeah I agree, he is very accurate with his punching. I also feel however that cumulative punishment plays a role. He's mostly well ahead on points when he finishes off his opponent and is a very good, calculated, offensive fighter regardless of his power. If he were to face someone to whom he was losing the rounds, I wonder if he has the power to take him out in 1 punch or turn the fight around. I am not suggesting that he wouldn't be able to, but I would like to see him against better opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Facade View Post
        Yeah I agree, he is very accurate with his punching. I also feel however that cumulative punishment plays a role. He's mostly well ahead on points when he finishes off his opponent and is a very good, calculated, offensive fighter regardless of his power. If he were to face someone to whom he was losing the rounds, I wonder if he has the power to take him out in 1 punch or turn the fight around. I am not suggesting that he wouldn't be able to, but I would like to see him against better opposition.
        True. He starts his body work almost instantly, breaks his opponent down.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
          His balance, he's seldom off center. Even when he's coming forward or throwing combinations he still maintains proper alignment, which eases his ability to rotate and torque his body into the shot with such minimal movement.

As far as snap goes, in order to generate snap the arm has to be loose and then tense before, or upon contact (depending on who you ask). He tightens his arms much much sooner than most fighters.

Must be the Aries thing too, hahahaha.
          That doesn't mean that the punch is gonna be harder and have more effect it's the opposite a tightened up arm will have less impact than a relaxed arm it's like when you're trying to drive a car with one foot on the break.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
            I've analysed the guys technique and sure, he is technically sound. But I have seen him throw hard shots that seem to lack speed or snap. How does he generate so much power in shots that seem to have little acceleration? I even seen him throw left hooks, practically as an arm punches with hardly any rotation or pivot, but it carries thudding power. Other than by natural strength, how does he generate so much power?
            Some people are just born with it it's in their blood,I don't think that's something you can learn or train,maybe to a certain extent. If you look at the first two round before the KO in the canelo vs kirkland fight you could tell that Canelos punches had much more effect on kirkland even tho it looked like he threw them without bad intention while kirkland swang like he wanted to take canelos head off.

Comment

Agree to a lot of this, mainly that his footwork is brilliant, his feet are planted hard into the floor and he just comes and comes

Comment

Originally posted by ~BoZz~ View Post
                That doesn't mean that the punch is gonna be harder and have more effect it's the opposite a tightened up arm will have less impact than a relaxed arm it's like when you're trying to drive a car with one foot on the break.
                I didn't say it would bub.

I dig that analogy though.
                Last edited by BG_Knocc_Out; 10-28-2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~BoZz~ View Post
                  Some people are just born with it it's in their blood,I don't think that's something you can learn or train,maybe to a certain extent. If you look at the first two round before the KO in the canelo vs kirkland fight you could tell that Canelos punches had much more effect on kirkland even tho it looked like he threw them without bad intention while kirkland swang like he wanted to take canelos head off.
                  I tend to disagree with the notion that you're born with power.

It's all to do with technique and leverage and committing to the punch.

When you watch GGG, Tyson, Trinidad you can actually see the motion they generate from the ankle through the hips and shoulders. They rotate fully. Not only that, their sole purpose is to inflict as much damage with that punch as possible - they sit down and commit to the shot. They are aware that their opponent is 'scared' of the power so there won't be much coming back.

Lets take Floyd Mayweather for example. He 'lacks' power because he is defence first and is always on his toes. He's happy just to land and move out of range. Floyd could quite easily have a higher KO % if he changed his mindset and then his technique to the following:

Mindset:
                  Less focus on points and defence.
                  More focus on power.
                  More focus on trying to hurt the opponent in front of him (punch with bad intentions).

Technique:
                  Sit down on shot.
                  Rotate into the shot.
                  Turn the fist over.

I believe that any fighter can add power to their game. Its about mindset and technique.

Comment

Working...
                  X