Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do guys like GGG and Julian Jackson use subtly different technique to get power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like something you're born with but I also think FOOT PLACEMENT and standing on your punches makes a difference as well. Power is not in your Fist, Power is generated from the Lower Body and Core if I'm not mistaken. A lot of guys who are not knows for Power are light on their feet, they do a lot of movement and bouncing around so it is kinda hard to generate Power when your feet are constantly moving. Where as most flat footed guys are known for their POWER

Jackson POWER was freakish, that was another level of Power, Jackson knocked guys out before they hit the Canvas and it wasn't no getting up from Jackson's Power. I still haven't seen Power like Jackson to be honest as far as that CONSISTENT 1 Punch KO POWER

Comment

Originally posted by b0x
      Here's the science:

Force = Mass * Acceleration
      Not exactly so. It's a bit more complicated in real life.

Comment

Man I loved Julian Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
          Seems like something you're born with but I also think FOOT PLACEMENT and standing on your punches makes a difference as well. Power is not in your Fist, Power is generated from the Lower Body and Core if I'm not mistaken. A lot of guys who are not knows for Power are light on their feet, they do a lot of movement and bouncing around so it is kinda hard to generate Power when your feet are constantly moving. Where as most flat footed guys are known for their POWER

Jackson POWER was freakish, that was another level of Power, Jackson knocked guys out before they hit the Canvas and it wasn't no getting up from Jackson's Power. I still haven't seen Power like Jackson to be honest as far as that CONSISTENT 1 Punch KO POWER

There is a fight from pretty early in JJ's career that has always stood out to me as far as demonstrating the kind of power he had. Freaking opponents name is eluding me now ffs lol, but anyways. The two of them are face to face and JJ unleashed a little inside hook that could'nt of traveled more than a few inches and this guy just dropped like a sack of potatoes. The guy could literally knock you out from anywhere at anytime. No need to break you down. Hell the guy is a human highlight reel for KO's, but for whatever reason that and the Norris KO have always kind of stayed with me over the years. To me he is to power what Roy was to athleticism in the ring. Never seen anything quite like it.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
            There is a fight from pretty early in JJ's career that has always stood out to me as far as demonstrating the kind of power he had. Freaking opponents name is eluding me now ffs lol, but anyways. The two of them are face to face and JJ unleashed a little inside hook that could'nt of traveled more than a few inches and this guy just dropped like a sack of potatoes. The guy could literally knock you out from anywhere at anytime. No need to break you down. Hell the guy is a human highlight reel for KO's, but for whatever reason that and the Norris KO have always kind of stayed with me over the years. To me he is to power what Roy was to athleticism in the ring. Never seen anything quite like it.
            Wayne Powell? Thats the fight that comes to mind from the way you describe it. He was kind of moving backwards and looped a right hand almost like a hook and put dude to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post

That knockout of Herol Graham is one of the best I have ever seen. He was losing that fight quite badly too.

Power is genetic like Speed, chin..... You either have them or you don't. With training you can make slight improvements but you don't go from one end of the spectrum to the other.

You can't teach Julian Jacksons power.

You can't teach Roy Jones Speed.

You can't develop Oliver McCall's chin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
                Wayne Powell? Thats the fight that comes to mind from the way you describe it. He was kind of moving backwards and looped a right hand almost like a hook and put dude to sleep.
                Nah. It was before he fought McCallum, but the Powell KO was sick too. Driving me nuts lol. I'll check it out once I get home and got access to my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                  Or is it 100% genetics?

I think is largely technique, obviously genetics has to play a part but I think its much less than people think
                  Why some punches are powerful and some are not? To punch with power a fighter must generate a power and deliver it. For example Bradley can't deliver his power. In order to deliver power a fighter shouldn't lose power during the punch move. With the right technique a fighter should even increase a power and spped during the punch move. With the wrong technique a fighter loses a power and speed of his first impulse.
                  For example Bradley can't make a hard system form his body and his hand. He loses power during the punch. And for example Kovalev and Alvares punch like they throw their fist at the opponent. And Golovkin has very hard joints from genetics and training, so he can make a very hard system from his body and hand and deliver all the power.
                  So the punch power is really a question of technique. But it's a question of genetics, of constitution if you can learn some technique or not.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                    You either have power or you don't. Sure technique plays a roll. You can certainly increase your power, but we're talking small percentages. No amount of technique or sitting down on punches is going to turn Willie Monroe into GGG, power wise.
                    Look at Devon Alexander. Most the time he has zero power at all, but randomly he throws a punch with the right technique, and does this.

Some people are just naturally heavy handed, but technique also plays a big part of it. Making sure all of your kinematics are right helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Shpacman View Post
                      Why some punches are powerful and some are not? To punch with power a fighter must generate a power and deliver it. For example Bradley can't deliver his power. In order to deliver power a fighter shouldn't lose power during the punch move. With the right technique a fighter should even increase a power and spped during the punch move. With the wrong technique a fighter loses a power and speed of his first impulse.
                      For example Bradley can't make a hard system form his body and his hand. He loses power during the punch. And for example Kovalev and Alvares punch like they throw their fist at the opponent. And Golovkin has very hard joints from genetics and training, so he can make a very hard system from his body and hand and deliver all the power.
                      So the punch power is really a question of technique. But it's a question of genetics, of constitution if you can learn some technique or not.
                      The process of punching involves lots of muscles working together. Coordinating all of the muscles so that they reach their maximum effort at the time the punch lands goes a long way. For example, when you push off with your legs, if you finish pushing off before the punch lands, you lose the power you are generating from your legs. If you finish rotation of your core before the punch lands, or your land while your core rotation is not at an angle that generates leverage, your punch wont be as hard.

There are guys that can punch hard, that are really strong, but dont have real power, because they aren't able to consistently coordinate all those factors.

Thats why you can smother someones power. Some fighters are better at consistently finding the proper range, or have a wider variation of techniques to deliver their power.

Then there is also the timing aspect of power.

You actually dont have to hit most people that hard to knock them out, if you catch them with something they dont see or expect.

A big part of power is catching people with that punch they are not expecting, or don't see coming.

One common comment GGG opponents have is that they dont see the angles the punches come from. Its the same thing Pacquiao opponents said. When you dont see it, the power is amplified.

Take a body shot for example. In the gym, you can lift your arms up and let someone wail away at your body with some really hard shots and take them because you are prepared. They body shot that gets you in the ring is the one you don't see coming and catches you when you are not ready for it.

Ricky Hatton explains it pretty well in this video.

Comment

Working...
                      X