Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prince Naseem Hamed: Floyd Mayweather Jr Asked My Advice On How To Get Paid In Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Naseem Hamed: Floyd Mayweather Jr Asked My Advice On How To Get Paid In Boxing

Here's a great radio interview with The Prince from earlier this year.

There's a very brief part where he talks about when Floyd met him back in the late 90s, he was a big Hamed fan and many say Floyd's persona is borrowed, at least in part, from The Prince himself. I guess that's somewhat self-evident.

"Me and Floyd were good friends back in the day. I used to see him when I first went to America in 97. He'd turned pro in 96. So at the time, he asked "how the hell you coming from your country to our country getting on HBO/Showtime and making all that money and we aren't?" That was the kind of vibe at first but now he's just taken over, he's the highest paid athlete in all sports"

26;00
    http://boxingnewsmagazine.podomatic....05_19_54-08_00

Did he say "avoid Marco Antonio Barrera like the plague because that guy ends careers"?

Comment

Very interesting, it's a shame Naz had chronic issues and lacked discipline in between camps.

Comment

[QUOTE=FlatLine;15724840]Here's a great radio interview with The Prince from earlier this year.

There's a very brief part where he talks about when Floyd met him back in the late 90s, he was a big Hamed fan and many say Floyd's persona is borrowed, at least in part, from The Prince himself[\QUOTE]

No way did he copy that ''persona.'' Naseem talked about his looks and bragged that his style was the best, and never talked about money like Floyd since by fact he was never close to those figures.'' Floyd's persona was fueled because nobody ever wanted to give him credit, and so after the De La Hoya fight he took boxing on a whole different direction to his benefit and taunted his opponents mentally. Floyd and Naseem are miles apart, just like Tyson and Floyd in character were miles apart or Ali vs Floyd were miles apart. Ali was the biggest talker of all boxers. Mayorga was one of the funniest and failed talkers of boxers. Naseem probably got his character from Camacho.

Comment

Watched Naz-Kelley yesterday. Great fight.

That entrance literally always makes me burst out laughing.

I remember Floyd calling out Naz at a catchweight after the Corrales fight.

Comment

[QUOTE=SugarKaineHook;15724960]
            Originally posted by FlatLine View Post

There's a very brief part where he talks about when Floyd met him back in the late 90s, he was a big Hamed fan and many say Floyd's persona is borrowed, at least in part, from The Prince himself[\QUOTE]

No way did he copy that ''persona.'' Naseem talked about his looks and bragged that his style was the best, and never talked about money like Floyd since by fact he was never close to those figures.'' Floyd's persona was fueled because nobody ever wanted to give him credit, and so after the De La Hoya fight he took boxing on a whole different direction to his benefit and taunted his opponents mentally. Floyd and Naseem are miles apart, just like Tyson and Floyd in character were miles apart or Ali vs Floyd were miles apart. Ali was the biggest talker of all boxers. Mayorga was one of the funniest and failed talkers of boxers. Naseem probably got his character from Camacho.
            We're talking about the fundamental braggadocio persona - at that time Naseem Hamed was by far the most famous active fighter for bragging (and ring entrances) and Floyd, along with a lot of other boxers, were influenced by Nas' bragging. Floyd just came at it recently from a different angle with the Money but let's not forget Floyd's original nickname wasn't "Money" it was "Pretty Boy" and what was one of Nas' most famous lines?? "Damn, I'm looking good."

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              Watched Naz-Kelley yesterday. Great fight.

That entrance literally always makes me burst out laughing.

I remember Floyd calling out Naz at a catchweight after the Corrales fight.
              Incredible fight with the multiple tit-for-tat knockdowns, plus with the crazy ring entrance and classic interviews at the end it was probably one of the most entertaining fights ever all things considered?

Comment

There's a very brief part where he talks about when Floyd met him back in the late 90s, he was a big Hamed fan and many say Floyd's persona is borrowed, at least in part, from The Prince himself. I guess that's somewhat self-evident.

"Me and Floyd were good friends back in the day. I used to see him when I first went to America in 97. He'd turned pro in 96. So at the time, he asked "how the hell you coming from your country to our country getting on HBO/Showtime and making all that money and we aren't?" That was the kind of vibe at first but now he's just taken over, he's the highest paid athlete in all sports"

26;00
                I'll tell you avoid elite fighters in their prime and fight them when their a shell of themselves. Make people hate you, act stupid well you don't have to act you can't read

Comment

26;00
                  I don't believe a word of it.

Floyd is American with far more role models to look to...no need asking some arab or whatever he is.

Comment

[QUOTE=FlatLine;15724979]
                    Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post

We're talking about the fundamental braggadocio persona - at that time Naseem Hamed was by far the most famous active fighter for bragging (and ring entrances) and Floyd, along with a lot of other boxers, were influenced by Nas' bragging. Floyd just came at it recently from a different angle with the Money but let's not forget Floyd's original nickname wasn't "Money" it was "Pretty Boy" and what was one of Nas' most famous lines?? "Damn, I'm looking good."
                    Floyd was nicknamed Pretty Boy because of his defence - after fights he never had a mark on his face. Not because of his looks.

Comment

Working...
                    X