No announcement yet.

Is it just a coincidence or...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just a coincidence or...

...are the 2 most loaded divisions in the sport (168 and 140) now loaded with talent because the 2 main players have left it (Calzaghe and Hatton).

This isn't a "biased brit" question it's just a general boxing fan question. Did both these fighters have their division on lock or was it just a coincidence in the timing of these new young fighters?
    Yay
    55.56%
    Nay
    44.44%

Originally posted by Joe2608 View Post
    ...are the 2 most loaded divisions in the sport (168 and 140) now loaded with talent because the 2 main players have left it (Calzaghe and Hatton).

This isn't a "biased brit" question it's just a general boxing fan question. Did both these fighters have their division on lock or was it just a coincidence in the timing of these new young fighters?

2 of the most over rated fighters this decade

Comment

hmm..

Well I think the market was dominated by those two.. hence leaving very little room for other fighters to come up. There were other good fighters even back then, but they weren't getting the financial backing they needed to state a case to get fights. Now with both Hatton and Zags gone and Jones, and Bhop on their way out, there is a vacuum that needs to be filled, which allowed for more financial oppurtunity for up and coming boxers.

So my answer would be somewhere inbetween yay and nay

Comment

As a sidenote, you see the same thing happening at ww today..

The top dogs (Floyd, Pac, Mosley, Cotto) dominate WW, Berto is the one anomoly that is trying to squeeze his way into the system, but the rest of the division is pretty much shut out of financial prominence...

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
          hmm..

Well I think the market was dominated by those two.. hence leaving very little room for other fighters to come up. There were other good fighters even back then, but they weren't getting the financial backing they needed to state a case to get fights. Now with both Hatton and Zags gone and Jones, and Bhop on their way out, there is a vacuum that needs to be filled, which allowed for more financial oppurtunity for up and coming boxers.

So my answer would be somewhere inbetween yay and nay
          This I agree with.

Comment

hmmm...yes

Comment

Syf is on point.

Hatton was the cash cow at 140 and the most popular after he beat Tsyzu.

Idk about Calzaghe, he was never that famous. I mean his PPV sales with Jones flopped badly. But he was def the best at 168.

Comment

i think syf is spot on with his post

its funny how this have never been mentioned before,obviously something too do with them both being british

its definitly not total coincidence anyway

Comment

i agree with hatton but calzaghe is garbage picking on sub prime opponents.

Comment

Just a coincidence.

When Hatton was at the top of the light welterweights, the champions of today where rising up through the division. Bradley and Khan who stand out as the true champions at 140 got the title chances against Junior Witter and Koltenik, who where the champions when Hatton was the main attraction.
                    Same with Joe calzaghe, most of the top 10 fighters of today, supersix fighters where either rising up the division or in another division.

Comment

Working...
                    X