Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the winner cried because of compassion.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    How about fighters getting emotional when they win a title?
    Timestampped.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      Timestampped.

Oh yeah, I remember that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Turiaoei29 View Post
        2 Stories come to my mind.
        Firstly, Rocky Marciano cried in the dressing room after he beat the great Joe Louis, his idol.

Roy Jones once told the story of him sobbing in the locker room after beating the Pazmanian devil.

Other stories that you remember?
        Ive never heard the story about Roy crying after the Paz fight, can you elaborate a little bit?

Comment

Danged double posts!

Comment

Buster Douglas after beating Tyson in the post fight interview when Larry Merchant asks him why did he win,
            "coz of my mother god bless her heart" who had died just before the fight

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Ive never heard the story about Roy crying after the Paz fight, can you elaborate a little bit?
              I read it somewhere or maybe he said it in an interview.
              I found this now:
              http://www.encyclopedia.com/educatio...es-roy-jr-1969
              "“I cried after the Pazienza fight,’‘ said Jones in theNew York Times.“It tore me up inside. It really made me wonder about what I do automatically.’‘"

Comment

Pazienza was not a fit opponent for Jones anyway. He had just gotten out of a neck brace and was fighting above prime weight as well. It is the kind of opponent Jones too often fought, making his career more illustrious for his own athleticism than for quality of opposition. A bit like Meadowlark Lemon and the Globetrotters out on the road playing against the local leauge all stars in Oskaloosa, Iowa one night, and the next night in Council Bluffs against a different team of local all stars. These fights would have been okay if they had been spaced as the old timers spaced their fights, for in reality a lot of fights that made Jones +$5,000,000 were tuneup level fights but spaced like major events. Jones's athleticism allowed for the enjoyable participation in the illusion that they were major events, and that one was witnessing a true marvel of all-time-greatness. That Jones himself participated a tad too much in the illusion is one of the limiting factors of his legacy. I think his daddy could tell you that. His own legacy could, I believe, be much higher. That is what Roy should have been crying about after the Pazienza fight, but he could not see into the future where his legacy was already tarnished and not as bright as it could have been. I see into the future for these reluctant fighters, but they never listen to me until it is too late. He should have been the greatest fighter that ever lived. He should have made the attempt more seriously. So few fighters even have that potential within them. In a liftetime, there are only a few we are even willing to consider as worthy competition to the men already well entrenched in their thrones of All Time Greatness. Jones was one of them we would consider. But to judge a fighter fully we must know him in every aspect of physicality and mentality that relates to his fighting, which is in essence all of it, as much as we can get and guess at. For this to happen a fighter must show all of himself in the ring, or how are we the historians to place him accurately among the highest fellows, those fellows who did show us everything they had? Can anyone say Jones gave as much as Duran, explored his limits to that extent? Duran the lightweight fought middleweights regularly. Jones the middleweight fought one heavyweight. It has always been my view that Jones did not give we the historians all the information he could have. In an age where fighters do not fight often, consistency of opposition is probably the best metric, but the one metric where Jones does not live up to the effort needed to rank with the Alis, the Durans and the Robinsons of the boxing world. The greatest of the greatest of the greatest of the greats let it all hang out in their primes when it counts. That is what Jones should have been crying about, and why. The best version of Roy Jones certainly could have survived and slapped the manure out of the version of Buster Douglas who showed up to defend against Holyfield. On the other hand, he might have been killed by the version that beat Tyson in his previous fight. It is one time he should not have listened to his daddy, for I believe the tubby version of Buster would have shown up to fight Roy, too. That could easily have happened. And if it had, Roy Jones Jr. would have attained arguably the highest legacy ever achevied by a fighter up to that time, in my humble opinion. But instead of being rated consistenly some place, he is ranked anywhere from the top 5 by novices to the top 25-40 by experienced observers. Nothing to be ashamed of, but less consistency than he could have had if only more information had come our way. Quite a bit of this information consists in simply knowing whether he could take a reasonable puch in his prime. No one could ever land one good enough to prove otherwise until Tarver did shockingly, and the excuse was always there that Jones was weight drained from taking off all that heavyweight poundage, which was a pretty reasonaable excuse all right. It really was. But then the great ego after being kayoed and knocked from his lofty perch, proceeds to start trying to prove his All Time Greatness with a passion. It was too late, of course. Every scrub began to kayo him. The effect was to leave us with serious doubts about his chin all along. Were his fly-like reflexes able to cover up a glass chin that was there all along but never got exposed? Crying was the right thing.

Comment

Can't remember if he cried or not but I remember Ruslan calling out "Mama" after he beat Alvarado for his title. Remember it being a real feel good moment

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    Pazienza was not a fit opponent for Jones anyway. He had just gotten out of a neck brace and was fighting above prime weight as well. It is the kind of opponent Jones too often fought, making his career more illustrious for his own athleticism than for quality of opposition. A bit like Meadowlark Lemon and the Globetrotters out on the road playing against the local leauge all stars in Oskaloosa, Iowa one night, and the next night in Council Bluffs against a different team of local all stars. These fights would have been okay if they had been spaced as the old timers spaced their fights, for in reality a lot of fights that made Jones +$5,000,000 were tuneup level fights but spaced like major events. Jones's athleticism allowed for the enjoyable participation in the illusion that they were major events, and that one was witnessing a true marvel of all-time-greatness. That Jones himself participated a tad too much in the illusion is one of the limiting factors of his legacy. I think his daddy could tell you that. His own legacy could, I believe, be much higher. That is what Roy should have been crying about after the Pazienza fight, but he could not see into the future where his legacy was already tarnished and not as bright as it could have been. I see into the future for these reluctant fighters, but they never listen to me until it is too late. He should have been the greatest fighter that ever lived. He should have made the attempt more seriously. So few fighters even have that potential within them. In a liftetime, there are only a few we are even willing to consider as worthy competition to the men already well entrenched in their thrones of All Time Greatness. Jones was one of them we would consider. But to judge a fighter fully we must know him in every aspect of physicality and mentality that relates to his fighting, which is in essence all of it, as much as we can get and guess at. For this to happen a fighter must show all of himself in the ring, or how are we the historians to place him accurately among the highest fellows, those fellows who did show us everything they had? Can anyone say Jones gave as much as Duran, explored his limits to that extent? Duran the lightweight fought middleweights regularly. Jones the middleweight fought one heavyweight. It has always been my view that Jones did not give we the historians all the information he could have. In an age where fighters do not fight often, consistency of opposition is probably the best metric, but the one metric where Jones does not live up to the effort needed to rank with the Alis, the Durans and the Robinsons of the boxing world. The greatest of the greatest of the greatest of the greats let it all hang out in their primes when it counts. That is what Jones should have been crying about, and why. The best version of Roy Jones certainly could have survived and slapped the manure out of the version of Buster Douglas who showed up to defend against Holyfield. On the other hand, he might have been killed by the version that beat Tyson in his previous fight. It is one time he should not have listened to his daddy, for I believe the tubby version of Buster would have shown up to fight Roy, too. That could easily have happened. And if it had, Roy Jones Jr. would have attained arguably the highest legacy ever achevied by a fighter up to that time, in my humble opinion. But instead of being rated consistenly some place, he is ranked anywhere from the top 5 by novices to the top 25-40 by experienced observers. Nothing to be ashamed of, but less consistency than he could have had if only more information had come our way. Quite a bit of this information consists in simply knowing whether he could take a reasonable puch in his prime. No one could ever land one good enough to prove otherwise until Tarver did shockingly, and the excuse was always there that Jones was weight drained from taking off all that heavyweight poundage, which was a pretty reasonaable excuse all right. It really was. But then the great ego after being kayoed and knocked from his lofty perch, proceeds to start trying to prove his All Time Greatness with a passion. It was too late, of course. Every scrub began to kayo him. The effect was to leave us with serious doubts about his chin all along. Were his fly-like reflexes able to cover up a glass chin that was there all along but never got exposed? Crying was the right thing.
                    Lefty use a paragraph or five...Even with this block of text, its such a good post i read it lol.

Comment

I am normally a man of many paragraphs. I just tried something different.

Comment

Working...
                      X