Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jose Carlos Ramirez draws sell-out crowd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free tickets for a card headlined by a prospect in a low-level fight isn't quite the same as free tickets being handed out for cards headlined by established fighters. And it's a hell of a lot different than actually paying people to sit there.

Comment

Free tickets or not 13k is A LOT for a prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Look at Jose Ramirez, look at Oscar Valdez, look at Felix Verdejo, and then ponder back to how Top Rank has marketed every fighter that they've sought to push towards PPV since getting his hands on Oscar De La Hoya.

Ramirez, not all that different from what has kind of fallen into being the default position for Terrence Crawford, is a hometown fighter that his home crowd have shown themselves willing to come out for and support. A good place to be, but there's an obvious ceiling that you run against.

Ramirez could honestly have 50 sponsors at this point; is he the type of fighter that would have Nike, or companies like Samsung and Coca Cola, wanting to sponsor him. I'm not all that sure. Verdejo and Valdez, simply looking at them, may get the chance.
        Here is the thing though. Ramirez has no where near the push Verdejo and Valdez, especially Verdejo, have been getting.
        Verdejo and Valdez have been televised all over the place including HBO. Ramirez is getting treated like an Eastern Euro fighters, not as bad since he at least gets televised, but his fights only get televised on Solo Boxeo or are not televised. Gvozdyk is way more talented than Verdejo but will never get the push.
        Ramirez is a US Olympian, why wouldn't Americans get behind him? He's also Mexican-American (one of the biggest fan bases in boxing) and is bilingual, unlike Verdejo, so that helps tremendously.
        I remember a video about Ramirez before the Olympics talking about his life. In that video Ramirez said he graduated as the Valedictorian of his high school. So not only is he an Olympian, but he's a smart kid. I also heard he does a lot for his community, so maybe that's why he gets a lot of support over there.

I could be wrong, but I think Nike already sponsors him. Don't quote me on that because I'm not 100% sure.
        It's not like this guy is getting trash sponsors, he has some big sponsors already.

I want you to explain though. Why do you think Verdejo and Valdez are more marketable than Ramirez? I'm curious. You say by simply looking at them, so what does that mean?

Comment

It may have been comp'd (idk), but it wasn't a free show.

But nothing like Saturday night, where tickets went for $23 individual to $3,500 for a table of 10.
          http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/article48294390.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
            Answer found

Still impressive. They give away a lot of tickets all the time, and barely get 2k in some fights.
            Here they had 10k

Comment

this kid should definetely get a push bigger than Verdejo and Valdez. at this point

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                free tickets
                How is that funny?
                Many boxing shows give free tickets all the time and rarely draw a crowd. Many of the cards with established fighters not prospects.

They gave a bit quite a few here in Dallas for the Spence fight and although it drew a decent crowd it was about 3k at the most.
                They couldn't even get 100 people in Miami for established Cuban fighter Erislandy Lara. Yet you laugh that 13K people showed up to watch a prospect in Ramirez?
                You really are a joke of a poster.

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
                  How is that funny?
                  Many boxing shows give free tickets all the time and rarely draw a crowd. Many of the cards with established fighters not prospects.

They gave a bit quite a few here in Dallas for the Spence fight and although it drew a decent crowd it was about 3k at the most.
                  They couldn't even get 100 people in Miami for established Cuban fighter Erislandy Lara. Yet you laugh that 13K people showed up to watch a prospect in Ramirez?
                  You really are a joke of a poster.
                  couldn't get 100 people for the lara fight?

But you call me a joke of a poster. Fucck off you're biased. It showed right away.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                    couldn't get 100 people for the lara fight?

But you call me a joke of a poster. Fucck off you're biased. It showed right away.
                    I'm biased?
                    Your dumb arse come in here making fun of a prospect who put 10K fans in seats because they gave away a few tickets. Yet there are many boxers out there who despite giving away virtually all tickets couldn't bring in a quarter of what this kid has brought, yet I'm the biased one? You're an idiot, and I repeat a total joke of a poster.

Comment

imoressive. Its his exciting style. Ive been a fan since the beginning

Comment

Working...
                      X