Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do many (not all) people consider Earnie Shavers the hardest puncher of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because couple people said so, and it got lift to a legend. People read too much what some legends say, usually they are full of bull****. Logic is where the truth lies.
    moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by jiopsi View Post
      Because couple people said so, and it got lift to a legend. People read too much what some legends say, usually they are full of bull****. Logic is where the truth lies.
      Whats the logic then Spock?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
        Whats the logic then Spock?
        Yes, I would like to know the logic of Shavers being the hardest puncher, do you have one?

Least rounds per fight

3.7 Mike Tyson (216/58)
        4.1 Jack Dempsey (283/69)
        4.1 Ernie Shavers (367/89)
        4.2 Riddick Bowe (195/46)
        4.3 George Foreman (349/81)
        4.9 Rocky Marciano (241/49)
        4.9 Sonny Liston (267/54)
        5.1 Lennox Lewis (225/44)
        5.4 Max Baer (423/79)
        5.8 Joe Frazier (213/37)
        6.0 Joe Louis (417/69)
        7.6 Evander Holyfield (443/58)
        8.9 Muhammad Ali (548/61)
        moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          ... Ali and Holmes both said Shavers hit them harder than anyone else.
          There's another fighter that also insists Shavers tops the list of the hardest punchers.

Namely, Shavers himself: "Number One," he responded when asked where he should land on such list. "No one can outpunch me, except God." [Interviewed by The Ring]

Well, I do believe Earnie still is the No. 1 in the category 'one-punch power'.
          You could consider him a four-round fighter: survive the first four rounds when his punching power is awesome – and when his heavy artillery is diminishing, start winning rounds.

Earnie was a pro when amateur boxing still was allowed to be quite brutal. Considering his style, a devastating puncher and his aggression in the early rounds, he could probably have become an amateur legendary during the 20-pt must system. Earnie vs Teofilo Stevenson at the Olympics – now, that would have been something ...
          Last edited by Ben Bolt; 04-11-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
            There's another fighter that also insists Shavers tops the list of the hardest punchers.

Namely, Shavers himself: "Number One," he responded when asked where he should land on such list. "No one can outpunch me, except God." [Interviewed by The Ring]

Well, I do believe Earnie still is the No. 1 in the category 'one-punch power'.
            You could consider him a four-round fighter: survive the first four rounds when his punching power is awesome – and when his heavy artillery is diminishing, start winning rounds.

Earnie was a pro when amateur boxing still was allowed to be quite brutal. Considering his style, a devastating puncher and his aggression in the early rounds, he could probably have become an amateur legendary during the 20-pt must system. Earnie vs Teofilo Stevenson at the Olympics – now, that would have been something ...
            I must admit, Earnie is the only boxer of that era I have ever met......and I don't doubt that believed in his power. I purchased his promotional video, which he kindly signed and it is fair to say that when he hit opponents, the effects were quite something.

I'd have him up there with Baer, Foreman and Tyson for sheer one punch power......

Comment

I must admit, Earnie is the only boxer of that era I have ever met......and I don't doubt that believed in his power. I purchased his promotional video, which he kindly signed and it is fair to say that when he hit opponents, the effects were quite something.

I'd have him up there with Baer, Foreman and Tyson for sheer one punch power......
              He is also a real hoot to watch trying to avoid punches....The Quarry fight was hillarious as he ducked down looking like an elephant without a trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                He is also a real hoot to watch trying to avoid punches....The Quarry fight was hillarious as he ducked down looking like an elephant without a trunk.
                The Quarry fight upset him more than any other. Granted, his prime seemed to arrive in the late 70s, whereas he met Quarry rather earlier.

Still, no one is happy with a one round loss.

Not that his losses have any relevance to whether he was one of the heavier punchers in history.

Comment

I purchased his promotional video, which he kindly signed
                  Some years ago, I read an article in 'Boxing Monthly' about Earnie's later years when he worked as some kind of bouncer at an English pub.

According to the article, he was a well-liked guy at the place and never used violence against any customer who had had too much to drink. Instead, he chose trying to talk some sense into them.
                  Last edited by Ben Bolt; 04-11-2015, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jiopsi View Post
                    Yes, I would like to know the logic of Shavers being the hardest puncher, do you have one?

Least rounds per fight

3.7 Mike Tyson (216/58)
                    4.1 Jack Dempsey (283/69)
                    4.1 Ernie Shavers (367/89)
                    4.2 Riddick Bowe (195/46)
                    4.3 George Foreman (349/81)
                    4.9 Rocky Marciano (241/49)
                    4.9 Sonny Liston (267/54)
                    5.1 Lennox Lewis (225/44)
                    5.4 Max Baer (423/79)
                    5.8 Joe Frazier (213/37)
                    6.0 Joe Louis (417/69)
                    7.6 Evander Holyfield (443/58)
                    8.9 Muhammad Ali (548/61)
                    Rounds only are a part of the equation...one has to look at quality of opponents and if the fighter is deliberately going for the knock out,guys like Lewis/klitchko and Bowe weren't fast starters...I think the way Shavers punches makes it look more drastic...but no doubt Tyson /Klitchko and Lewis all hit harder.They have more one punch k.o ability with better quality fighters.shavers was known to try and finiosh opponets in the first round,where Tyson ironically went for the k.o if he saw the opening,more evidence where he was just a superior puncher.
                    Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-11-2015, 08:29 PM.

Comment

They say that he was the hardest puncher because when they took him to Africa he was walking around knocking out elephants. Duran copied off of Shavers but was only able to drop horses for the mandatory 8 counts.
                      Last edited by Rockin'; 04-12-2015, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X