Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian Scientists Discover Lake untouched by man for over 20 Million years..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Russian Scientists Discover Lake untouched by man for over 20 Million years..

After two decades of drilling through miles of Antarctic ice, Russian scientists are about to breach an underground lake that has not been exposed to the surface in more than 20 million years. Lake Vostok, as the body of water is called, is part of a chain of more than 200 lakes hidden beneath the ice,

Scientists believe that there may be life in the lake, as ice removed from the Vostok borehole has been found to contain bacteria. And since the subterranean lakes, kept liquid by heat from the Earth’s core, are similar to those found on moons Enceladus and Europa, scientists are excited to see what such inhabitants might be like.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...ions-of-years/

http://gizmodo.com/5881354/20-millio...o-be-uncovered

never know..
    Last edited by iLovesoccermoms; 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM.

Let's take a swim in it.

Comment

News like this always gives me a nerdgasm.

Comment

Now it's contaminated by humans. Fail...

Comment

dear russia, thanks for opening the gate to hell.

sincerely, someone who wants to get his epic hero on.
          Last edited by AntonTheMeh; 02-01-2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
            News like this always gives me a nerdgasm.
            I just want to see what Ancient Aliens has to say about this. They always twist everything into extraterrestrial related, which I love them for that.

Comment

Good. Now, what can we extract from it in terms of resources, and can we kill, industrialize and eat whatever is living down there.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                I just want to see what Ancient Aliens has to say about this. They always twist everything into extraterrestrial related, which I love them for that.

Comment

Two and a half miles under the Earth is Lake Vostok, which hasn't seen the light of day in 20 million years. It's taken almost 20 years of drilling, but Russian scientists are about to break through and explore the lake at the bottom of the world.

Vostok is thought to hold more fresh water than any other lake in the world, and is the third-largest by volume overall. To give you a sense of just how deep it is, it's kept liquid by heat from the core of the planet.

Scientists are giddy over the possibility of observing life that's been completely undisturbed for millions of years, since back when Antarctica was attached to Australia.
                  Last edited by iLovesoccermoms; 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

i wanna drink some of that water.

Comment

Working...
                    X