No announcement yet.

Is Mayweather Hurting His Fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    Gervonta Davis is all of 22 years old, is a 4-year pro, and is at a weight where near all of the top talent is looped in with Arum/Oscar (WBA 130lb Jezreel Corrales could likely be enticed over for the right price; looking at BoxRec's ratings, 7 of the top 8 fighters at the weight are on the other side of the fence).

There's almost literally no reason to rush Gervonta Davis into anything.

Liam Walsh (UK fighter that I've never seen fight) is the mandatory challenger, but, after that, Davis has Jhonny Gonzalez, Malcolm Klassen (South African fighter I've never seen fight), Javier Fortuna, Billy Dib, and Tevin Farmer (likely the toughest fight in the queue, tbh) as options before starting to thirst for fights.

Fight him out of a MGM National Harbor as his home venue (unless he can get the co-feature position on one of the mega-shows), but focus on getting him that extra bit of seasoning before looking to unify all of the belts. at the weight.
    If his name were Tank Davisovic...they'll be "let the kid test the waters...there's no hurry...I say give him 5 years to acclimate"

Comment

He keeps getting meaningful fights for the likes of Ashley Theophane and Ishe Smith.

Those dudes would be nowhere right now if not for who promotes them. He certainly hasn't hurt their careers any.

Comment

Working...
      X