Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active means Sharper than Inactive

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the individual, and to a degree, age. Older fighters often suffer from wear and tear so being highly active causes nagging injuries to become a problem. Months of rest allows for a more complete recovery and their experience means they're less inclined to suffer from inactivity than a younger guy.

Notice fighters in their mid and late 30s often fighting twice a year or less whereas they may have fought 3x in their younger days.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      Um yeah. Chavez was fighting four-five times all through his twenties and early thirties. So he was more active than today's 1-2 fight a year champions.
      Follow Chavez Jr's title run; won the vacant 130lb belt September '84 (took a tickover fight in Mexico), made his first defense April '85, made two other title defense through September '85 (had two more tickover fights), had his next title defense May '86, and then made 5 title defenses over the next 15 months.

Chavez Jr was clearly more busy than the PPV max out schedule, but you pull the tickover fights and Chavez was basically kept at a 4 real fights per year pace during his title run at 130lbs. And that's the type of pattern that emerges up the weights.

Chavez Jr, at 140lbs, fought in meaningful fights May '89, Nov '89, Dec '89, Mar '90, Dec '90, Mar '91, Sep '91, Apr '92, Aug '92, Sep '92, Feb '93, and May '93 (before going to 147 to fight Pernell Whitaker). Basically three meaningful fights per year.

The modern boxer world, for the most part, has done away with the idea of a top fighter facing off against an underwater fighter to simply keep active.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Follow Chavez Jr's title run; won the vacant 130lb belt September '84 (took a tickover fight in Mexico), made his first defense April '85, made two other title defense through September '85 (had two more tickover fights), had his next title defense May '86, and then made 5 title defenses over the next 15 months.

Chavez Jr was clearly more busy than the PPV max out schedule, but you pull the tickover fights and Chavez was basically kept at a 4 real fights per year pace during his title run at 130lbs. And that's the type of pattern that emerges up the weights.

Chavez Jr, at 140lbs, fought in meaningful fights May '89, Nov '89, Dec '89, Mar '90, Dec '90, Mar '91, Sep '91, Apr '92, Aug '92, Sep '92, Feb '93, and May '93 (before going to 147 to fight Pernell Whitaker). Basically three meaningful fights per year.

The modern boxer world, for the most part, has done away with the idea of a top fighter facing off against an underwater fighter to simply keep active.
        Yeah I know. That's what I don't really care for. I'm not saying a guy has to fight 100 fights in his career. I've always thought 100+ wins is impressive. However, what I really mean is that a couple of meaningful fights a year along with more activity just to stay sharp. If a guy is out of the ring six months or longer, that can build up a good deal of rust and look at today's fights canceled. It's happening pretty often, many times due to injuries which might not happen if they were busy and in shape. A boxer boxes. It's his job. Training is not the job. It's the preparation. And most of the guys need more exposure. Being on TV once or twice a year is just not enough to build a fan base. Mayweather did over a long stretch of time. So I'm not saying it can't happen, but he also fought a lot of names. These guys are fighting Joe Nobody once or twice a year. How can a fan get hyped up for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Depends on the individual, and to a degree, age. Older fighters often suffer from wear and tear so being highly active causes nagging injuries to become a problem. Months of rest allows for a more complete recovery and their experience means they're less inclined to suffer from inactivity than a younger guy.

Notice fighters in their mid and late 30s often fighting twice a year or less whereas they may have fought 3x in their younger days.
          Yes, with respect to age, that's fine. I get it, but guys in their twenties? There's no reason Canelo couldn't be in that ring at least four times a year. Same goes for a lot of guys who'd be building their names up much better than they're doing now. Golovkin is willing to, although the politics prevent it, which is bad. I'm a fan and would like to see him in the ring more often. Maybe he'll get three this year at least.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
            Yes, with respect to age, that's fine. I get it, but guys in their twenties? There's no reason Canelo couldn't be in that ring at least four times a year. Same goes for a lot of guys who'd be building their names up much better than they're doing now. Golovkin is willing to, although the politics prevent it, which is bad. I'm a fan and would like to see him in the ring more often. Maybe he'll get three this year at least.
            more fights a year = less damage to brain and body ahahahaahahahahahahahaah

Comment

Working...
            X